Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems kind of counterproductive to retain the restrictive stock muffler. Has anyone actually done a dyno comparison of TurboXS stealthback with stock muffler vs. TurboXS full turbo back exhaust? (I want real data here... I don't need anybody to say "with the stock muffler you're going to lose 1 to 50 hp"). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
When the same question was posed to Phil at TurboXS he said that I was leaving 5-7 horsepower on the table. Nothing my butt or a 1/4 mile timeslip would really show IMHO.

Sure sounds better with an axle-back though! :D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In all humility, I run the stock muffler.

I had an aftermarket, universal muffler and took it off because it was driving me nuts on long trips. The drone can be offensive. Considering all the other mods I've done, I don't think leaving the stock piece matters that much. Unless you're on the ragged edge, do you need to spend the $$$$ or put up with the noise?

russ

·
Registered
559 Posts
MisteX,,please take that AVATAR...
I wont sleep tonight cause of the fat ***** monster.
Tuca:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I called Nathan about this, he told me they had dynoed the combo a few times on a stage 2 car with and without the stock muffler and said that in 4 pulls they saw losses between only 3 and 7 hp. The loss will be exaggerated a little more on a really high output car (read: stage 4 and larger), but if you're planning on staying with the stock turbo, you really aren't losing anything by keeping the stock muffler. BTW, just the stealthback gives you 15 hp (20 if tuned with a Unichip or Utec), so a ~5hp gain isn't really a big deal. Trust me, with a turboback system you're paying for the benefits of the downpipe design, and TurboXS has one of the best out there. That's the where real the power and spool advantages are, not in the muffler. Losing two restrictive 2.25" cats and replacing them with one hi-flo 3" cat doesn't hurt either. ;)

My opinion...

Get the stealthback now. Trust me, it's incredible. The sleeper factor is awesome and it really feels highclass to drive a car that doesn't sound like a wannabe racer. Ever heard a Porshe 911? Great sound, but really quiet compared to any aftermarket Japanese car exhuasts; and 911's make tons of power with that quiet exhaust. The stealthback sounds just about as quiet as stock, but with a better tone throughout the rev range. Kind of like a 911... :D

If later on you want more noise, or if you go with a larger turbo, or if you just absolutely feel you NEED those ~5 ponies, then you can bolt on any axelback muffler section you want - Blitz, Stromung, Turbo XS, and Prodrive are some of the most popular. No loss, just pick up where you left off and enjoy the easy adaptability. Keep as many options open for as long amount of time when making power mods to a car; you'll like your end set-up more that way and save a lot of money getting there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
get it. getting an axleback vs. leaving the stock muffler allows you to have:

1. stealth. it's really quiet. you can hear the turbo spool, and a lil more engine noise :)devil:).
2. more money. now you can spend an extra $300 or so on something else, like sway bars or something.

the 5hp difference to me isn't worth getting pulled over. i'll live with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was actually looking at the same setup. With the money you save by not buying the muffler, you can pick up an uppipe also and still have money left over.

My big question is about emmissions and a CEL. Will I have any problem with either by changing the setup?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Talk to God, he customizes the TXS stealthback so that it doesnt trigger a CEL. As for emissions - there are many other threads on the forums that can explain it better.. but some say they have passed with the single cat; as for me.. Id just swap stock exhaust before emissions test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts