Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, dont kill me on this one guys, but here it goes. Got about 10k miles now on my rex and rarely do any clutch drops/dumps from start. But what i do do, usually when racing someone, is throw that clutch in and out as quick as possible when switching gears. And also slamming the gas down when letting the clutch up. I never have smelled my clutch, but have heard the terrible thud noise when doing this.

After reading some of the posts, I've learned that this is completely bad on the tranny. This whole time i thought it was just bad on the tranny doing a dump from start. So my question is, how do you exactly shift the WRX quickly when racing if your not shifting it as quick as possible to keep the RPM/boost as high as possible? Clutch slip? I'm lost.

·
Registered
208 Posts
These cars reward smooth shifting, you should never hear a thud when you shift. A clutch is far cheaper to replace than your gears and lsd. Avoid the thud at all costs, this means feathering the clutch a little more than you'd expect during shifts. Bump your shift points up to red line and feather the clutch after you select the next gear and you'll stay on boost.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
tytlyf said:
Ok, dont kill me on this one guys, but here it goes. Got about 10k miles now on my rex and rarely do any clutch drops/dumps from start. But what i do do, usually when racing someone, is throw that clutch in and out as quick as possible when switching gears. And also slamming the gas down when letting the clutch up. I never have smelled my clutch, but have heard the terrible thud noise when doing this.

After reading some of the posts, I've learned that this is completely bad on the tranny. This whole time i thought it was just bad on the tranny doing a dump from start. So my question is, how do you exactly shift the WRX quickly when racing if your not shifting it as quick as possible to keep the RPM/boost as high as possible? Clutch slip? I'm lost.
This type of shifting is particularly hard on second gear. Unless I am at the track or (on the rare occassion) racing on the street, I try to short shift at about 6500rpm into 2nd gear. Since the installation of my MBC, I found that the driveline "clunk" which I would describe as more of a "bang" when shifting into second at full throttle and redline (1/4 mile drag racing) is disconcerting at best. You have to remember that the stock boost control limits 1st gear to 9psi to limit the amount of torque/shock experienced by second gear when you shift at redline.

I would like to add that I have no problems at all with my transmission, but I can't comment on how long I expect second gear to last in my car!

-Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought that the thud sound is ok. I have a short clip of a WRX Sti racing a JDM MR2 and you can hear the infamous thud in the Sti. Also, these drivers are professionals because I have more clips of them racing NSXs, porsches,M3s, and ferraris all in Japan.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rex N Effect said:
I thought that the thud sound is ok...
Yes, that IS the way most people drive in a rag race. Waiting for the revs to fall back in proper sync before up shifting will slow you down for those precious half seconds. But it's still bad for your tranny. Those clips show professionals driving the piss out of someone else's car. In a likewise situation, I'm sure you'd feel no remorse about abusing the tranny yourself. I know I wouldn't. ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I would like to add that the STi six speed tranny is FAR more robust than our WRX's 5 speed.

-Jim
Yeah that a HD 6 spd, new design with beefer tranny case and stronger forks and gear sets. Btw pros drive the car hard cause it ain't their own wheels and is their job to extract as much performance out of the car they are driving. They get pay to go fast, what a job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.