ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Just looked at a WRX at a local dealership, and it had some body mods. I'm pretty sure they're OEM options, but just wanted to make sure -
This isn't the exact car I looked at, but same kit/color.
Front lip:

Rear lip:

Sideskirts were stock, unpainted black. Motor, interior, everything else was stock, which is what leads me to believe it's OEM.
Car looked/drove great - not sure if I'll be buying it yet or not, but just wondering -
Whatever brand it is, how do these kits fair? It seemed to fit fairly well. Are they urethane?
Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
andrewyim said:
yep. all factory. that grill doesnt look to be oem.
Thanks!
That's not the car I looked at, just the same front and rear lips. I can't remember what the grille looked like on the one I saw.
The lip spoilers looked great, although somewhat strange from the side without painted skirts. I wonder how much it costs to get them painted?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes !! the ft & re lip are OEM kits!!

Body shop painting the skirts would cost about $150 - $200

Geting the paints and paint that by yourself would cost $65

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Painted sideskirts costed me a bottle of Jack.
Since they're a removable part, I wouldn't be too worried about taking them to the lowest bidder, as long as it's gauranteed. You're not going to have to worry about overspray, and the prep work will be a lot easier. If the color doesn't match, tell them to fix it. I'd do my best to find someone who'll do it for $100 or less.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
qoncept said:
Painted sideskirts costed me a bottle of Jack.
Since they're a removable part, I wouldn't be too worried about taking them to the lowest bidder, as long as it's gauranteed. You're not going to have to worry about overspray, and the prep work will be a lot easier. If the color doesn't match, tell them to fix it. I'd do my best to find someone who'll do it for $100 or less.
Ah, didn't realize they were removable! In that case, why not DIY with factory paint? These cars shouldn't be showing paint fade after only 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Most people dont have the equipment for a proper paint job. You can make your sideskirts the same color, but they aren't going to look as good as if you have a paint shop do it. The guy that did mine (my dad's best friend) told me about all these adhesion promoters they've tried and was still afraid it wouldnt stick to the sideskirts. They arent made to be painted.

Also, there are a couple other options. The sideskirts on RS's are flatter and have their own appeal, or you could order sideskirts from a Suby dealer already painted for $200ish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
qoncept said:
Most people dont have the equipment for a proper paint job. You can make your sideskirts the same color, but they aren't going to look as good as if you have a paint shop do it. The guy that did mine (my dad's best friend) told me about all these adhesion promoters they've tried and was still afraid it wouldnt stick to the sideskirts. They arent made to be painted.

Also, there are a couple other options. The sideskirts on RS's are flatter and have their own appeal, or you could order sideskirts from a Suby dealer already painted for $200ish.
Cool - thanks a lot.
I ended up putting a deposit down on the car today, hopefully will be picking it up tomorrow if everything goes well.
Snapped a picture -

Looks a little odd with black skirts, but I'm excited nonetheless :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Jackie said:
Cool - thanks a lot.
I ended up putting a deposit down on the car today, hopefully will be picking it up tomorrow if everything goes well.
Snapped a picture -

Looks a little odd with black skirts, but I'm excited nonetheless :)
Congrats :) Good eye on the sideskirts, I never noticed till they were pointed out. What happened to the 300ZX's? Such beautiful cars.. right next to my 944. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
qoncept said:
Congrats :) Good eye on the sideskirts, I never noticed till they were pointed out. What happened to the 300ZX's? Such beautiful cars.. right next to my 944. :)
I sold the Z's... the NA to get a TT, and the TT because I decided that I wanted a cheaper, more practical car. I basically took it as far as it could go without upgrading the turbos (which, unlike a WRX, costs ~ $5k-$10k if done right), and although I loved it, felt it was time to move on. I figured 4 years with Z's was enough. That lasted about 6 months... :)
After realizing how much I missed the Z, I decided what the hell, I'll just get something in between - practical like my VW but fun and full of potential like my Z. A WRX was the first thing that came to mind, and I really think it's the right choice for me right now. I'm really excited :)
I miss the Z like crazy, and nothing will ever replace it, but hopefully I can quench a lot of my car cravings with a WRX.

Bah, 944's :) Just kidding, badass cars - definitely one of a TTZ's true rivals. Have you done anything to yours? I know they can be pretty beastly if done right, especially on a road course.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does anyone know if the center piece of the oem lip is sold separte? my car came without it and i wouldn't mind completing the look!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Jackie said:
Bah, 944's :) Just kidding, badass cars - definitely one of a TTZ's true rivals. Have you done anything to yours? I know they can be pretty beastly if done right, especially on a road course.
I sold mine for the WRX. It was pretty much stock, I think the guy before had put an exhaust on it. But after almost $2k in suspension mods, the WRX still rolls more in the corners (also carries more speed through them, but that's beside the point :) ). It was a lot of fun, but it was a $4000 car without AC in Alabama that costed me more per month to keep running than payments on my new baby. At least I can say I've owned my drea car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts