ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a Nvidia geForce 6800 GT OC its like 300 something is this to much graphics card for me? i play alot of games that use alot of processing graphics like UT2004 Americas army and others. i might be gettind doom3 too. what would u rec for a graphics card?

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
I wouldn't recommend spending $$$ on Doom 3 unless you have one hell of a kickass system. My friend bought it on his computer (2.4 gb p4, 512 mb RAM, ATI 9800 Pro 128 mb) and it still ran kinda choppy. I would recommend at least a GB of RAM for that game. Other than that, the Nvidia card is that way to go, and who knows it may run smoother with Doom 3 because of their OpenGL tech. But I would recommend finding a demo of Doom first before buying the full version.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That is the mid-range nVidia card. The GT version is much faster than the vanilla-flavored version. If you want the next step-up, it will be much, much more...

If you really want to future-proof, you could pick up a 2nd one of those cards later - check to see if they are SLI-capable. Of course, you'd need a new mobo for that at that point, and imho SLI is just an nVidia money-making scam. After all, the Voodoo 5500 had two GPU's on it, so frankly I see NO need to have SLI!!

-snowcat

·
Registered
882 Posts
tacomaboy138 said:
I wouldn't recommend spending $$$ on Doom 3 unless you have one hell of a kickass system. My friend bought it on his computer (2.4 gb p4, 512 mb RAM, ATI 9800 Pro 128 mb) and it still ran kinda choppy. I would recommend at least a GB of RAM for that game. Other than that, the Nvidia card is that way to go, and who knows it may run smoother with Doom 3 because of their OpenGL tech. But I would recommend finding a demo of Doom first before buying the full version.

Sounds like your friend has something else wrong with his system. Doom3 runs just fine @1024 set to high detail on my mobility 9600pro and I only have 512MB ram. Maybe have your friend check around for better drivers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
6800 is an alright video card, if your really looking for something good you either
buy the radeon x800 xt, which is better than the 6800 but will cost you a lot of pocket money, i believe its about 599, and 499 for the x800 pro. I work at compusa so i know. Also if you can wait, you can mod your whole computer and get the PCI E card which would kill the AGP cars.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
the only thing I find funny in this thread is how any of you are saying the x800 line is -that- much better then the 6800 series, when realistically, it's not any better. they are comparible. for doom3, the 6800 series blows the x800 series away, as it should.

the bottom line is as follows;

if you want to run a x800 or a 6800 series card, you need the system to back it up, not the mention the power source.

the only thing that the x800 has going for it, which would allow someone to say it's -better- then the 6800 series is the fact that previous nvidia cards have had fan problems related to them. that seems to be gone with the new design of the 6800.

if you want to pay more for a x800 card, to get the same, if not less performance then a 6800 series, by all means get it. I am not refering to the base cards either, this is at least comparing the x800pro/6800gt or the flagship line within each company.

ati has lost it's edge, period.

this is coming from someone who said they would never own another nvidia card again. the 6800 is a better card, and costs less.

·
Registered
97 Posts
you guys should start thinking about buying the pci express 16x graphics cards. it is double the bandwith of agp 8x. the newest technology. ati right now is ahead of the game. also ati produces less heat. pci express will be the newest standard for graphic cards. the best card out right now is the radeon x800 xt pci express. which is about $700 but ..but you get the best performance.

dont get the 6800 gt oc take my advice. i know a lot about computers. nvidia based cards produce lots of heat and this is what causes lag in gameplay. if you want something for $300 get the radeon x800 pro agp 8x. really great performance and outstanding gameplay.
ebay is the place i saw a brand new sealed x800 pro but it now for $340

·
Registered
882 Posts
Except that would be a waste of money as there are no games currently out that will utilize that much bandwidth. Better to wait until the prices come down, then maybe there will games out that can use all that power. Remember, HL2/Doom 3 are being released hella late, they were designed to run on the previous gen. video cards. Don't waste your money just to get the newest and best.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well im going to wait for a 64-bit mother board to come out that can use pci-express and then get the AMD 64 bit chip. and use the x800

·
Registered
97 Posts
ssamurai26 said:
Except that would be a waste of money as there are no games currently out that will utilize that much bandwidth. Better to wait until the prices come down, then maybe there will games out that can use all that power. Remember, HL2/Doom 3 are being released hella late, they were designed to run on the previous gen. video cards. Don't waste your money just to get the newest and best.

your not wasting your money. the pci express ran on half-life2. todays games require much higher bandwith. every one say you dont need them but to tell you the truth you do. the games you see today arent the old games with water textures that look like crap. pci express is in all of the new motherboards. intel is almost done making socket 478 cpu's
there newest is the socket 775 which is the pci express model cpu's. i mean go check prices for yourself. they are the same sh!T. you wil not regret. as for prices they will not come down so easily and fast. pci express isnt easy to make,
the x800 pro sealed brand new in box is reatailed at $379.99. which is excellent for now day gamings. agp will die off so fast! :redface:

·
Registered
97 Posts
WRXTwiztid said:
well im going to wait for a 64-bit mother board to come out that can use pci-express and then get the AMD 64 bit chip. and use the x800
thank you for taking my advise. as for nvidia, they are not so good now days. they produce way, i mean way too much heat. i have a 6800 ultra by evga in my downstairs comp and man it is not as good as my x800 xt pci ex. get the radeon.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
RocaweaR said:
you guys should start thinking about buying the pci express 16x graphics cards. it is double the bandwith of agp 8x. the newest technology. ati right now is ahead of the game. also ati produces less heat. pci express will be the newest standard for graphic cards. the best card out right now is the radeon x800 xt pci express. which is about $700 but ..but you get the best performance.

dont get the 6800 gt oc take my advice. i know a lot about computers. nvidia based cards produce lots of heat and this is what causes lag in gameplay. if you want something for $300 get the radeon x800 pro agp 8x. really great performance and outstanding gameplay.
ebay is the place i saw a brand new sealed x800 pro but it now for $340
you have no idea what you're talking about. i've read your other posts in this thread and it shows one clear thing; you are an ati fanboi.

let me correct you on a few things;
a)all video cards produce heat.
b)the new fan design on the 6800 model is far superior then the fans on the x800 line.

to make it short, I don't know what kind of games you play. any of the current, graphic intensive games run better on the 6800gt then they do on the x800 pro. such titles are, and have been tested by not only 3dmark01, 3dmark03 and many websites; world of warcraft, everquest 2, doom3 and far cry.

by all means, if you insist in spending more for equal or less performance on certain games, while taking an obvious loss in performance on others, be my guest. it's your money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Snowvert said:
you have no idea what you're talking about. i've read your other posts in this thread and it shows one clear thing; you are an ati fanboi.

let me correct you on a few things;
a)all video cards produce heat.
b)the new fan design on the 6800 model is far superior then the fans on the x800 line.

to make it short, I don't know what kind of games you play. any of the current, graphic intensive games run better on the 6800gt then they do on the x800 pro. such titles are, and have been tested by not only 3dmark01, 3dmark03 and many websites; world of warcraft, everquest 2, doom3 and far cry.

by all means, if you insist in spending more for equal or less performance on certain games, while taking an obvious loss in performance on others, be my guest. it's your money.
first of all im not a boy, son. im a computer technician and work in a labratory in research that studies computers. i have years and years of computer experience son. i have tried and studied every type of parts for newer performances. and when you say the nvidia 6800 doesnt produce to much heat ur wrong. why the F!ck do you think they have big heatsinks and fans. while the x800 has a small copper heatsink and a mini fan. the 6800 had a turbo style fan that sucks faster becuase it produces more heat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts