ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wanted to know if this is a good deal for 2008 Subaru WRX. Here are the specs of the car and the price.

2008 Subaru WRX
Miles: 40k
2nd Owner
Manual
Everything serviced with receipts
No accidents/clean title
Price: $17,500

I checked KBB with these specs for something fair is priced at $16,934.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
As long as it does not appear to be modded, and a carfax comes back clean, that is not a bad deal.

Yes, kbb set it at about $600 less, but that book does not have current local market value....If you were able to find several more of similar model year and mileage for cheaper, in your area it would be a bad deal, but as WRXs are not real common, and you are looking at about 10K miles per year, that is not a bad deal.

Make sure you check to see if it was modified, and any other signs that it might have been beat on before you buy. and if you can, take it to an independent mechanic for a quick look over if you are buying from a personal seller rather than a dealer.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
First off, KBB is not the best way to check prices. They have the best known name but NADA is a much better source for accurate pricing. That's what commercial car retailers use, not KBB.

For this specific car, you haven't listed what kind of condition it's in, so it's really hard to say if that's a good price or not. What's the interior and exterior condition? What is the condition of the brakes and tires? How recently has it had all of the necessary fluids replaced (oil and brake primarily), and what about the other fluids that are part of the 45k maintenance? I don't have a service manual in front of me so I'm not sure what else Subaru recommends at that mileage. That is of course an important thing to consider too that you're going to need to pay for that 45k service not long after getting the car.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
how-buy-used-wrx-sti

Read the above thread and you'll have all the knowledge you need. As long as everything checks out, that is a good starting price for an 08 with 40k. Always negotiate down though lol

NADA has it listed at $18.3k if you were wondering.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I will check out the link that was posted on this thread. I tried to negotiate with the private seller but he can't because he still owes on the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have another private seller with the below.

2008 Subaru WRX Hatchback
White
Manual
Miles: 51k
2nd Owner
Everything serviced with receipts
No accidents/clean title
Modified the exhaust and intake but the person put it back to stock
Price: $16,995

Is this a better deal?

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
I would ask them if the car was tuned when they had the parts on and if they tuned it back to stock map after taking them off.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
KBB
NADA
Edmunds

All three sites will give you a general price for the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the 08 WRX inspected at a mechanic shop and the only things they found out is Brake Inspection: Front 20% and Rear 30% and need to replace all 4 tires. Needs a new air filter. How much do you think this will cost to replace?

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
My brakes were about the same when I bought my car back in January. I am just now replacing them and they still work.

Now, I'm upgrading my brakes so I don't know how much a simple pad change is. Hit up Adam with Kronos Performance on here for some pricing.

Tires can range anywhere from $75 a wheel to $200 a wheel so just depends on your budget really.

Air filters can be had for like $15. If that is all they found then I'd say the car is a good buy if you get it for the price you wanted.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd ask for a reduction in price for the tires based on the cost of 2-3 new OEM replacement tires. Since you'd be getting new tires and that's not usual when you buy a used car, and in general a used car should have at least 50% wear left to be considered in good condition, I wouldn't include the cost of mounting/balancing/tire disposal plus the cost of 1-2 tires. Same thing for the brakes I'd just include the cost of the parts as what I'd look for as a discount off the price and not the labor as a fair discount. The brakes have a lot more labor to them so the parts will make up about 50% of the cost of replacing them.

Have the front brakes already been replaced at some point in the car's life? If not, I really question that 30% remaining figure for the rears because to get to that point, the car should definitely have already gone through a full set of fronts and be on the original rears.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I plan on looking for some cheap tires. I want to spend less than $100 for tires, do you recommend any good places? I have been doing some shopping on line but I am having some trouble finding a place to do it for less then $100. Also I was thinking of getting used tires that have more 50% or more on them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is another one that I am considering of getting.

2008 Subaru WRX Hatchback
Blue
Manual
Miles: 35k
3rd Owner
No accidents/clean title
Modified the exhaust and intake but the person put it back to stock
Price: $18,000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts