Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new 04' red WRX some time this month.
I know the difference in the STI and the regular WRX is .8 in the 1/4 mile. That IS a big difference.
But is it worth the money?
Are you happy with your "regular" WRX?

Thanks,
Mark

·
433 Posts
Oy gevalt.

I say no. I think both cars are excellent. People have the complete wrong idea about the STi here in the US. It's actually funny. No offense to those 1/4 mile racers, but the WRX/STi was NEVER EVER designed for the 1/4. It's a TRACK car. Therefore, it you're going to race round a track, an STi is quicker than a WRX and the better car for it, stock vs stock.

However, the WRX is a FAR superior everyday car. It's more comfortable, a LOT less conspicuous, and isn't the rice-burger that the STi is with that wing. Yes, the wing can be removed but that's added expense of paying for a new trunk-lid, or swapping with someone with a WRX and taking that risk too. I've always loved the STi, but the US STi really hasn't done it for me, especially after having come from the UK and having driven Impreza Turbos and Impreza STis through the years.

The USDM STi is a beast of a car, but for the added expense, if you're NOT tracking, is actually really, really not worth it. If you want a 1/4 mile car, buy a Cobra!

I realise the wing opinion is really an opinion, but the main use of the wing is downforce, and the only time you need that kind of downforce (legally) is on a track.

STi = track demon
WRX = road-smart

·
Registered
91 Posts
I see that everyone have different point of views on this. Because i am from the US and we dont get those kind of cars over here all the time. I mean i would love to choose the STI over the WRX if i had the right money. Plus it is AWD with the 300hp for under 30,000. to me that is hot as hell because i dont like the evo and cant afford others. That is just my opinion bro.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is far more to the sti than just power for the money. The seats and interior are better, brembo brakes, wheels, HID and more. Those parts alone in retail cost are close to what the diference is between the wrx and sti, not to mention the power difference. So I guess the decision is what you are going to use the car for. If you have the money and were planning on moding the wrx you might as well get a step ahead and buy the sti. Then you wouldn't have to do any mods or atleast for awhile. I didnt have the money or need the performance of the sti so I went with the wrx and will mod it a little with some tuning and basic bolt ons. So to answer your question Yes the sti is worth the money, just depends on if you have it or not. My .02

·
Registered
115 Posts
new wrx = $23,500

used vf34= $ 650

injectors = free mod

used utec= $ 650

catless exaughst $750

------------------------------------------------------------

$25,550

so for $25,550 or less you get a car that will beat the sti and about 99% of the other cars you will ever come across on the road. we are talking at least 350 hp and awd. the choice for me is very easy. plus there is no sti wagon in the states

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If you're going to mod your WRX to the point of the STi anyway... Just get the STi and the factory warranty. Otherwise, you just need to decide how serious you are about enjoying the performance. But it's not just speed that the STi's about...

-snowcat

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
The STi is definately worth the money, and stand alone would be most people's first choice....the only caveat being that the regular WRX exists. If there was no WRX, the STi would be selling a lot more, but as most people will agree, you can make your WRX an STi if you're not happy with it, and smoke STi's for a little less than buying one will cost.

w00t for wrx wagons too:D

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I am totally happy with my WRX.:)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Parts mentioned or not

6-speed tranny
Brembo brakes
HID's
17" wheels
300 stock HP

Yes I would love to have any of these options on my WRX and yes its worth the difference.
Plus as mentioned you get 300 HP with warranty not a 300 HP WRX with spilt milk.

I drive my WRX every day but a few months ago when I got to ride in an STI at the track with a great driver... I was amazed how much more power it had and stuck you back into the seat.

I didnt want to drive it because I cant afford one right now so to drive it was no way worth it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
it depends.

i personally thing modding is fun. i'd rather have a modded, slower WRX than a faster stock STi.

i have an '03 that's fully paid for. i also have $11,800 sitting around.

trade-in + $11,800 = new Sti.

but i'm not getting a new STi, i'm modifying the crap out of my car, and then i'm going to modify it some more. at the end of the day, my car will be a little faster, brake a little worse, handle a little worse than an Sti. but none of that matters; when my close friends and family see my car, they see the dedication i put into it. no one's going to say, "STi's got better track times."

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I go back and forth on this. I don't really abuse my cars, so the STi warranty thing is really no big deal to me. I commute 60 miles round trip every day to work; 36,000 miles comes long before I would expect any real mechanical failure from a quality Japanese car. (I'm at 31K now, zero problems with my WRX so far, with stage 2 mods)

I love and admire the STi. I think that it's a wonderful handler, and is still daily drivable, by my standards. 2.5 liters of displacement is also a plus.

But for the purposes of my commute, I don't know that I'd be willing to pay the extra money. You can spend $1000 on speed mods (dp, up, reflash) and $1000 on handling (springs, swaybar, tires), and the WRX becomes quite presentable on the performance front. Tough call.:wiggles:

edited for spelling...:)

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
i love my car. its got great power. and here in FL there arent opportunities to put even my handling to the max with a rear sway bar and kumhos. I would never use the stis handling the way it should be.

·
Registered
98 Posts
jetguy said:
new wrx = $23,500

used vf34= $ 650

injectors = free mod

used utec= $ 650

catless exaughst $750

------------------------------------------------------------

$25,550
How does someone get upgraded injectors as a free mod for their WRX??????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts