Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not in the sense that it's a bunch of ricers, but man... I see a million of these things a day. With honda's crappy Civic/Si this year not selling, I just wonder if the Jetta is going to be the new Civic.

Discuss.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
it's been in the same class as the civic for a while i think. it's markets with all the same principals, plus one more important one. watch me discuss....

1) reliable
2) affordable
3) young
4) lots of options available (cool wheels, sunroof, heated seats)

but the extra bit is "fun" their commercials and other marketing all make it fun to drive, or to hang with your friends.

mitsubishi takes the same "fun" approach, however can't come clean on the reliable side. that's why their marketing is so much more important to their goodwill value than for someone like VW.

toyota is just the opposite of mitsu. they are reliabel, affordable, and have options. but they're not that much fun. the celica is as close as they got, and what an eyesore they came out with huh? :) then along comes the matrix, and it is right in there. the jetta is not more than a corrolla in it's soul. same with the civic. it's the extra bit that makes it different.

dR

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
VW has EVERYONE beat on marketing. Their commercials rock.
my favorite is the guy in the supermarket lot, and you hear the screachin of an approaching unmanned cart.

then out of nowhere the guy does a diving save to shoulder the thing away from his jetta.

awesome.

but i like the nissan marketing best. awesome music, cool driving. WEEEEEEEE

dR

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That VW commercial is cool, but the best one is the one where the couple is driving in the rain and everything it synchronized to the beat of the music....windshield wipers, basketball bouncing, etc...here are some clips:
audio
audio2

i still can't find a video clip...:(

And in my quest to find a video clip, I discovered that they have compilation CDs of the music from VW commercials. w00t!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe even cheaper. We leased my wifes 2001 Jetta GL a year ago. The total was like 12.7K when all was said and done. Are civics that inexpensive?

Justin

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
hmm i didnt know that, i thought they were much more then that but i suppose they are the type of car that starts really cheap but can get up to near 25k with all options

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
A Jetta GLS 1.8T would be in the neighborhood of $21000 plus.

Let's not forget, VW A2 and up platform has always had a great aftermarket, before the whole sport compact scene (something certain Honduh extremists conveniently forget).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts