ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I'm obviously new here but have loved subies since the bug eye wrx. I have always wanted one but haven't had the opportunity till now.

Long story short, I found the wrx I want at a local dealer 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited For Sale in Bridgeport WV | JF1GR7E63CG207025. The online price is 30,827. I go to take a look at it and the sticker says 31,827 but I figured I could talk them down to close to the online price. The sales man and I start doing paperwork this evening and he tells me that there is no way he can cut me a break on the price at all. Then we start talking about interest rates and he gives me an estimate of 7% without running it through the bank. Well I told him to run it through and see exactly what it would be but by time he did this it was too late and the bank was closed.

So now I'm waiting till monday to figure the interest rate out but I have a feeling their trying to screw me over by a grand or so by "claiming" they can't do anything on the price. What do you all think? should I play hard ball and hope they drop it (couldn't find one I liked anywhere else).

By the way the MSRP on subaru's website is 30,665 and sorry about the link. I'm sure I didn't do it right but hopefully it works.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I do not understand.Why can't he give you the car at the advertised rate?Talk to the manager.Find out who is in charge of internet sales.

7% is too much.Did he run a credit check?

Subaru offers rates as low as 1.9% for 24 months,2.9% for 72 months.Subaru Special Offers.Also check other banks for their rates before committing to buy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check other dealers eprice's. You could lower the price by submitting an order, and wait 12 more weeks. 7% nowadays is too much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I asked the sales person about the price difference and his response was that the internet price is before they get it and they have to pay technicians to do a safety inspection and detail the car once it arrives on the lot. When I asked about dropping the price he said "my boss would literally kill me if I sell it for any less".

Yeah, now way in hell I'm paying 7%. The guy seemed kind of out there because I asked him to figure out what the rate would be so he left for like 15 and I assumed he was running my credit but then he came back with a sheet of paper that showed how much the monthly payments would be and it was based off the 7% national average. I was like, I don't care what the average is, I need to know exactly what the rate will be. He then tried to run it though the bank but I guess it was too late (past 5 pm). So now I have to wait till Monday and hes going to call me to let me know.

He also did his best to slip in "my colleague has someone coming monday to look at the car so if you want it you'll have to put down a deposit as soon as I get you the rate to ensure it doesn't get sold".

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
He's taking you for a ride. One thing I ALWAYS assume about working with a dealership is they're taking me for a ride. I take control of the situation right off the bat and if they don't meet my demands I walk. I'm not the one desperate here, they are. If they want the sale, they'll work with you, if not go somewhere else.

Best thing you could do is ask to speak to a manager about it, and if he says no, leave. Again, you're not the desperate one, they are. They need the sale to make money, you're only looking to spend. Unless you have to spend money to survive the next 24 hours, walk man. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for the advice guys! Do you all think the Internet price is reasonable? If so I'll probably tell him on Monday that I want it for that much or I'm walking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this site too, 1st post. I ordered a 2012 limited for 28,849 with following options:
Mirror w/ homelink
body side molding
moonroof air defelector
roof racks
short throw shifter
I'd shop around.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go to another dealer I paid $500 under invoice only charged me $300 for trunk sub including install , .9% financing for 63 months. I think you shoulg go To a dealer that actually wants your business. Mine went very smooth I negotiated over phone then drove 3hrs to get it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't waste my time to talk to dealer, before I get reasonable price. Keep in mind they work for you, not oposite. If you'r young, have accent, foreign, they assume Ur easy money and blend you their way. Find a few prices and go to nearest that you assume is good and get a match of the lowest price.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Go to truecars or Edmunds to find pricing for the car.Take a print out & show it to them.Their price seems too high.

I'd stop wasting my time with said salesman.A fee for detailing the car?.

Find the manager or go to another dealer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Go to another dealer I paid $500 under invoice only charged me $300 for trunk sub including install , .9% financing for 63 months. I think you shoulg go To a dealer that actually wants your business. Mine went very smooth I negotiated over phone then drove 3hrs to get it.
How and where the hell did you get 0.9% financing? I thought the lowest right now is 1.99%

·
Registered
188 Posts
OP - best piece of advice I can give you is just order the car and get it at or below the invoice price(which is cheaper than the MSRP that you are seeing online). When I was shopping around, one of the dealers was trying to sell me a base model for $26.5k not including tax, dealer fees, yada yada. I told him that I wanted it at invoice. His response was that I was crazy and would never find it at that price. I then left there and went to another dealer where I ordered my car(exactly how I wanted it) at invoice price with all the parts extra at invoice as well. Should be here by the end of the month. Even the dealer told me it was better to order as I could get it cheaper. Once it was in the showroom they had no problem selling it at MSRP or more quickly. Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
It is amazing how different dealers are.

First off - the Subaru advertised interest rate is 1.9%. Its right on the Subaru Cars, Wagons, SUVs, Crossovers | Subaru of America website! For not offering that, I would be tempted to call SOA. It sounds as though you are dealing with some dishonesty.

Second - if the dealer thinks he can get rid of the car at sticker price, he will not sell it you for less. The local dealer here has that attitude, and they are right - even though I don't buy their cars at their price, it seems the guy behind me does. Therefor, I can't buy cars at my local dealer.

I bought my STI for well below invoice, and they gave me 2K more on my WRX than anybody else - but I had to drive 400 miles to get that deal. I have no idea why they agreed to the deal - some dealerships had already started waiting lists. I later got a call from SOA that I had purchased the first 2011 STI in New England.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OP - best piece of advice I can give you is just order the car and get it at or below the invoice price(which is cheaper than the MSRP that you are seeing online). When I was shopping around, one of the dealers was trying to sell me a base model for $26.5k not including tax, dealer fees, yada yada. I told him that I wanted it at invoice. His response was that I was crazy and would never find it at that price. I then left there and went to another dealer where I ordered my car(exactly how I wanted it) at invoice price with all the parts extra at invoice as well. Should be here by the end of the month. Even the dealer told me it was better to order as I could get it cheaper. Once it was in the showroom they had no problem selling it at MSRP or more quickly. Just my 2 cents
Ya I agree with you. Once they have them on the floor they will find people that will pay more and people that don't know what the invoice is. I ordered one 11/17/2011 ( still not here yet ). I called my local dealer and told them I want to order a 2012 WRX Premium at invoice price and I'll come order one today. They agreed instantly and I went an ordered one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just be upfront with them. If you dont like the price tell them what you want to pay and if they can't sell it to you for that, you will go somewhere else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my WRX from that dealer in October. They're definitely playing you. First thing is talk to the internet sales manager because he's the only one that can make the deal at that price you see on the website (they told me that afterwards when my dad was looking to get a regular Impreza from them).

They're not going to be that flexible because they're a pretty small dealer and they sell WRXs really fast. They'll make you a fair deal, but you're going to have to work for it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Go to different dealers. Anyhow when you place an order, you'r not obligated to take that car. You could still shopping for another and when you buy another cancel your order. Basicaly ordering a car just buy you more time to shopping for a vehicle that you like better.

·
Banned
664 Posts
MSRP is what you should pay. them asking another 1k for prep is BS. they will prep it and everything but it’s an hours worth of time they will bill the sales department $80 for the hour. i have never bought a car that wasn’t at invoice. find the MSRP, jump online and find just how much they are marked up, subtract that and go to the dealer. they give you that price or that’s it. some cars will have rebates or bonus cash and you should get that also but you'll never see it on a WRX. anyone that says they got a below invoice either never saw the invoice price or they got lied to. a dealer can go below invoice and into hold back but they'd be out of business in a week if they did. most i could see is $100. if one dealer told you invoice and you took that price to another i could see them beating it by $100 just to earn your business. if you try and go back to the first one they'll just tell you to get lost and go back to the other one. fighting over pennies is stupid.

as for 7% you might just have to pay it. what’s your credit score? even with a good score how much debit to income do you have? if you don’t know these things you should! been divorced lately? bankruptcy? every freaking day i had people come in and tell me there credit was great!! i run their credit and its crap! people are retarded and think once papers are filed or bankruptcy is over that everything’s good. or that’s it’s been a year or 2 or 3 that everything is fine. again people are retarded and are liars. the dealer doesn’t know you from a hole in the wall so he has every right to show you a 7% interest rate till he 100% knows what you can get. now if you're borderline from being one tier to the next they're probably going to give you the lower tier because they make more money from the bank. you need to ask your score and ask to see the tier chart from the finance guy. As for interest rates Subi probably has the best rates but personal credit unions are hard to beat some times. Dealers do go out and shop for banks and credit unions so they have a large network to help you out.

GL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again, Thanks for the advice!

I should qualify for a much lower interest rate, hopefully the 1.9% since my credit is good. As for the price of the car, I found on the dealers site that they guarantee the online price (which is like $100 more than the MSRP which im ok with) and you get two years of free maintenance. I think I'm going to forget the sales person I was dealing with and just do it over the web.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts