Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to do some minor mods to the wrex and I had the Perrin shift stop, bushing, and short shift adapter, led fogs and license plate bulbs, sill plates, mud flaps, black side and rear badges, upgraded kicker woofer package, vynil tint over lays for the tail lights all in my cart. I saw that I crept over $700... And was wondering if I should just get the Cobb access port instead. Is it that good? I do dislike the stock tune and would appreciate a few extra horsepower. But I just daily drive it, never will track it. I think that most of these mods will happen eventually either way. What should I do first?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. I want a lot of things, but I really wonder how much of a difference the AP makes for daily driving. I'm not tracking the car anytime soon. I mainly want the 1st and 2nd gears to feel a little smoother and if I get a little more power too I won't complain.

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
So I was going to do some minor mods to the wrex and I had the Perrin shift stop, bushing, and short shift adapter, led fogs and license plate bulbs, sill plates, mud flaps, black side and rear badges, upgraded kicker woofer package, vynil tint over lays for the tail lights all in my cart.....
Sounds to me like you are looking at more "cosmetic" modifications first than performance. The COBB access port is a must have when doing any form of performance modifications (Boost Control Solenoid, Air Intake, Downpipe, Fuel pump, Inter cooler) since you are changing all sorts of variables that the stock map should not handle. This can lead to your motor blowing or other damage…. Regardless these types of modifications would require a tune.

[REFER TO THIS FROM MATTMINER.COM]

“So I have a Subaru and I am going to tune it....

AP - Accesport (v2 or v3 for the purpose of these discussions). This is a handheld tool that allows you to load aftermarket mapping to your ECU. The v2 and v3 are functionally IDENTICAL as far the car is concerned. For the user, the v3 gets you a nicer screen and interface. The AP comes with a set of basemaps specific to your car for very specific mod sets.” – Matt Miner (Transcending Pro Tuning)
Since you are referring to wanting to add cosmetic aspects to the vehicle first hand

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. I want a lot of things, but I really wonder how much of a difference the AP makes for daily driving. I'm not tracking the car anytime soon. I mainly want the 1st and 2nd gears to feel a little smoother and if I get a little more power too I won't complain.
It will do exactly that, while voiding big chunk of your warranty. The risk vs reward calculation is up to you to figure out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the AP for my 2018 STi, on a Daily basis I LOVED the new maps! BUT I was getting a little Lean Knock that according to Cobb and everyone at my dealership in parts said it was okay I took it off and went back to stock till I get the rest of my mods so I dont put too much stress on the engine before I get it tuned.

If I was going to stay at stage 1, I would be getting it tuned because I dont really like the OTS maps.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Driver mod should be first. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on what I had in the cart. I think next will be cat back, wheels, then AP. After that I'll get into more go fast bits. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
you can do an axle back or cat back without needing a tune.

Anything else needs a tune specific to those exact Mods as specific as which brand of airbox you choose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After installing the fog lights the wrex won't turn over!!!? I think maybe I blew a fuse or it somehow drained the battery rapidly... I tested the battery at 11.0 v. Anyone know what's going on???

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
The accessport isn't a must have. There are other tuning options out there. It's just a nice gadget that gets the job done at a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
After installing the fog lights the wrex won't turn over!!!? I think maybe I blew a fuse or it somehow drained the battery rapidly... I tested the battery at 11.0 v. Anyone know what's going on???
Did you ensure when you installed the lights they didn't create a parasitic draw? I've done it installing lights on a Jeep. If you've not found the solution check and make sure there isn't anything going to them while the car is off. If you've wired it into a fuse pull the fuse it should kill the power entirely to the lights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it was just me leaving the doors and trunk open for so long. I didn't drive the car for a week and it still started fine. So I don't think there is any lingering issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts