ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i am torn between buying a wrx and sti, i do wish to mod the car in the future but not for too much power. my question is, is the 5 speed wrx transmissions really that weak because wrx's are much easier to come by than the sti's, and how much would it be to swap the sti engine and transmission into a wrx if the power becomes too much for the stock wrx transmission? or other ways to strengthen the wrx transmission?

i am specifically looking at 2002-2007 wrx's/sti's and possibly 2008 onwards era if i find one at the right price

TIA

·
Super Modulator
19,549 Posts
is the 5 speed wrx transmissions really that weak because wrx's are much easier to come by than the sti's
I'm not sure anyone can answer your question.

The 5spd is not as durable as the 6spd. Considerably less, in fact. At the same time, most 5spd failures can be attributed to idiot drivers. The STI 6spd is stupidly overbuilt. There are shops running more than 1000lb-ft of wtq on the OEM STI gearbox. Makes you question the engineers' sanity.

how much would it be to swap the sti engine and transmission into a wrx if the power becomes too much for the stock wrx transmission?
You'd save money buying the STI up front. Not to mention the better equipment all around. Though we are talking about deeply used Subarus either way and definitely not my cup of tea.

or other ways to strengthen the wrx transmission?
Yes, there are ways. RA gears, Legacy gears, and at the tippy-top PPG gears. All will be just as expensive as swapping an STI transmission and less durable. See above.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure anyone can answer your question.

The 5spd is not as durable as the 6spd. Considerably less, in fact. At the same time, most 5spd failures can be attributed to idiot drivers. The STI 6spd is stupidly overbuilt. There are shops running more than 1000lb-ft of wtq on the OEM STI gearbox. Makes you question the engineers' sanity.

You'd save money buying the STI up front. Not to mention the better equipment all around. Though we are talking about deeply used Subarus either way and definitely not my cup of tea.

Yes, there are ways. RA gears, Legacy gears, and at the tippy-top PPG gears. All will be just as expensive as swapping an STI transmission and less durable. See above.
it might be worth me trying to get an STI then, they just arent very easy to come across at a resonable price, i have found a lot of wrx's with only 40k miles on for a good price but not many STI's generally, my ultimate goal would be around 400-450bhp and similarly in torque but that is a long way down the line, would it still be better to just go for an STI or buy a low milage wrx and try and build it to handle this as the car progresses?

·
Super Modulator
19,549 Posts
it might be worth me trying to get an STI then, they just arent very easy to come across at a resonable price, i have found a lot of wrx's with only 40k miles on for a good price but not many STI's generally, my ultimate goal would be around 400-450bhp and similarly in torque but that is a long way down the line, would it still be better to just go for an STI or buy a low milage wrx and try and build it to handle this as the car progresses?
What's with the horsepower obsession?

Have you even driven a stock STI?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have driven both a stock wrx and sti (however it was a 2000 year sti) and i do think they are good as is, but knowing how i've been with other cars i think i'll want more power just because thats how i end up going. i might change my mind after some time living with them, however i dont want to screw myself over by making the wrong decision at the start and then not being able to reach a higher hp if i did decide to

·
Super Modulator
19,549 Posts
Any time you modify, you significantly increase the chance of failure, particularly on a 12-15 year old car. Buy what pleases you, but know that you will be spending a lot of money on a platform that is fully depreciated. Read: it will inevitably be a money pit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any time you modify, you significantly increase the chance of failure, particularly on a 12-15 year old car. Buy what pleases you, but know that you will be spending a lot of money on a platform that is fully depreciated. Read: it will inevitably be a money pit.
yeah i know it will be a money pit but that's not what bothers me, i just dont want to be spending money on things failing or upgrading other parts when i could have realistically got that from just purchasing another model in the first place. i wouldnt be opposed to getting a wrx and then further down the line swapping in a 6 speed to handle the extra power. i am more used to RWD cars so i may be happy just getting to 300bhp in a wrx/sti and be happy

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you add power I think you'll break the 5mt transmission eventually. What is the price difference between the sti and wrx you're looking at?

I bought my 02 wrx with 110k on it, stock except for a stupid bov the previous owner Jerry rigged. I put a2.5L and ethanol tuned at 180k miles and broke a tooth on second gear around 220k miles

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you're looking for that much power then get the STI up front. It will handle the power much better. Make it easy on yourself.

·
something else forever
3,847 Posts
the five speed is terrible... talking from experience here... get the sti

1 - 10 of 10 Posts