ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just recently have noticed a few times while i'm in 5th or 6th and cruisin around and then need to slam the gas to get going... sometimes the rpms will shoot up as if i pushed the clutch in. how bad is this? i bought the car used and i've never grinded any gears in this car. i know for a fact the person before me drove the **** out of it cause i've done quite a few repairs right off the bat when i bought it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yep thats the clutch, mine did the same thing a little while back. I was able to milk it out for another 6 months after it got to the point you're talking about, but at the end before i changed the clutch sometimes up hill my rmps would just start climbing. In my honest opnion I wouldn't drive it for too long like that.

~mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well my clutch was for an 02 wrx so it will be a little if not a lot cheaper. I got an exedy oem clutch and it ran me about 250.00 I think. With the help of my cousin and paying him 200.00 for all of his help it came to around 550.00. and so you know if you're doing it yourself you'll want a friend who has some back bone and some muscle because my 5spd was heavy as all get up so I'm sure that 6spd isn't light. GOOD luck and hope you get it fixed soon. You'll notice a huge diffrence if the clutch was already abused before you got it, that is how mine was and I couldn't believe my car could still pull in 4th (not that it pulls good)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.. well i'm nowhere near a mechanic nor do i know anyone with such skill to do tranny work. I called a local tranny show and told me i'm looking at $500 for the clutch assembly and another $400 for labor (6hrs) So in the coming couple months i'll see where i'm at.

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Glad to help :)
The stage 2 kit will no doubt be a better clutch, but it might be a little bit harsher than the OEM replacement kit, because it has stronger clamping force. It'll want to grab quicker, so slipping it in as you would a normal clutch will make it wear a little faster as well. BUT I'm speaking out of my own experience with an Exedy Hyper Single-plate clutch, which is VERY harsh.. so the stage 2 will probably be not as harsh as I think. If you're planning on putting a little more power to the ground you should consider the stage 2 :thumbup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
The exedy oem uses stage one clutch material and bites pretty hard. But I would say you want to go with a Stage 1 for drive ability but that is just me.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
The exedy oem uses stage one clutch material and bites pretty hard. But I would say you want to go with a Stage 1 for drive ability but that is just me.
+1 the harder your clutch is the more stress goes to the gears.

stage 2clutch should really go on something like PPGs

kyle with your power/turbo setup, do you drive really easy on the trans. or are you just waiting for it to break so you can upgrade?

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Well with that then i'll just save the couple hundred and get oem 1:thumbup:
BEST.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
plus 1

·
Registered
0 Posts
+1 the harder your clutch is the more stress goes to the gears.

stage 2clutch should really go on something like PPGs

kyle with your power/turbo setup, do you drive really easy on the trans. or are you just waiting for it to break so you can upgrade?
I'm driving it pretty easy right now. I'm only running the Hyper single-plate because my friend gave me a great deal on it.. used for a few hundred miles for $300. And at the time my clutch was dying so I needed a new one fast :( it was RIDICULOUSLY strong and bit really damn hard at first, but I think it's a little "broken in" now, or I just got used to it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The Exedy OEM replacement kit bites harder? :confused: even if it did, wouldn't it be almost unnoticeable? I thought Exedy manufactured our OEM clutches in the first place.. but I could be wrong of course :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts