Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to lower my WRX alittle about a inch and a half or so.
I can't afford to buy coilover, so are there any good springs?
Is this going to ruin ride and/or damage the struts...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your ride comfort will go down. I would say much harsher. I assume you are going to keep your stock struts? The life expectancy of your struts are directly related to how hard you drive your car. Eibach springs may be the way to go.

Anthony

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The WRX was designed to ride high and has incredible suspension travel in both directions. So much so, that it is nearly impossible to get all four wheels off the ground.

As a rule fo thumb, you shouldn't lower the WRX more than about an inch. Although 1.5" won't be too harmful, you will be adversely effecting the way the car handles.

-Jim

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Lowering w/o changing out struts will shorten their (struts) life- by how much- dependent on how low of a drop, driving habits, etc.

Be cautious as many springs advertise a 1.5" drop and end up delivering more (drop).

Big Sky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Prodrive Springs

One option for you might be the springs from Prodrive. They lower the car approx. 1.5 in. front & rear. They were designed to be used with the stock struts and are about the same stiffness as the STI springs. The quality of prodrive products is well known, as they have been building rally cars for a good while. I have british friends who swear by Prodrive parts.

I recently installed these springs, along with an adj. rear bar, and I have 17" wheels, and the car feels spectacular. I had the wheels first and they made a definite difference in ride quality (harsher), the springs made a lesser change in ride quality but a marked difference in handling. Much less body roll. I would agree though that this is about as low as I would be willing to take the car and is as low as you want to take it for performance/street driving and for comfort levels. My girlfriend did not notice a harsher ride after installing the springs.

They can be had at tirerack.com for around $300. Ask for Luke.

Good luck.
Shark

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No. Just don't go below 1.5". I have Whitelines. The car corners like it's on tracks.

Just remember, springs aren't the ony component in the system. Shocks and tires make a big difference. So do wheels. The list goes on and on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts