ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2006 wrx with a cobb stage 2 for super cheap, and would love to work on it but the lifespan scares me. It runs like new, but I'm not sure how long that'll hold up, once I start pushing 300k. I'm considering putting around $4k into the car's internals (pretty much how much I got it for), and maybe more for a paintjob/wrap and such. My question is would it be stupid to tune a wrx with such high mileage, and be better to just save the money for a more expensive base car to work off?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,111 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 wrx with a cobb stage 2 for super cheap
Then it's already got a map on it, meaning you don't need to "tune" it.

It runs like new
Then you've got an excellent car already.

I'm considering putting around $4k into the car's internals (pretty much how much I got it for), and maybe more for a paintjob/wrap and such. My question is would it be stupid to tune a wrx with such high mileage,
It's already tuned as you said above.

and be better to just save the money for a more expensive base car to work off?
Hm. I think I may have heard a rumour that Warren Buffet throws money at 15-year-old Japanese econoboxes all the time but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm these allegations?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Just buy a new shortblock for 2k, have the heads cleaned, machined and sent back. New gaskets, water pump, timing kit and call it a day. You'll be in upwards of maybe $7k but it'll be like new. Take it and get it tuned by a decent shop in your area and go on about your way.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Worth it depends entirely on your private financial situation and how much value you place on your money.

At mileage like that I would say it's probably a safe bet the engine is nearing the end of it's useful life. You can run it until it's dead then build, or start from scratch now. I'd wager the the block isn't in great shape and will need replaced anyway.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,111 Posts
My bad, I used the wrong terminology. I just meant work on it to make it faster, etc.
Ah then the answer is easy: No.

Not under any circumstances.

Leave the car alone. Maintain it meticulously but do not attempt to “improve” it.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah then the answer is easy: No.

Not under any circumstances.

Leave the car alone. Maintain it meticulously but do not attempt to “improve” it.
I was implying that I could sell it (probably for profit even) and start on a lower mileage car, and wanted to see how people felt about working on high mileage cars. I'm pretty new to the whole scene tbh, and I see your point layered in sarcasm 100%

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 wrx with a cobb stage 2 for super cheap, and would love to work on it but the lifespan scares me. It runs like new, but I'm not sure how long that'll hold up, once I start pushing 300k. I'm considering putting around $4k into the car's internals (pretty much how much I got it for), and maybe more for a paintjob/wrap and such. My question is would it be stupid to tune a wrx with such high mileage, and be better to just save the money for a more expensive base car to work off?

I wouldn't. I like you was going to tune my 2008 wrx which had 201k miles. Then my engine died. It lost compression on all cylinders. My engine had a crack in it and was leaking oil. So I just had it rebuilt for $7k for a fully rebuilt engine with sti camshaft instead of stock wrx camshafts. Reinforced studs etc. I had already before enginw died was an ewg, downpipe, upgraded turbo. So just too much power for that many miles on my engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts