ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all my mods and now that I have a PnP'd VF30, does everyone here feel that I would benefit from a short ram. The flow rate is over 460cfm and I'm not sure if the stock box is keeping up. Any feedback?

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Short Ram or any after marking intake is needed for your wrx. Wit a P'n'P VF30, all you need is a K&N drop in and a properly tune engine management. An after market intake will not make u gain any more power it will just cause you to run rich.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
KoolWgnRex said:
No Short Ram or any after marking intake is needed for your wrx. Wit a P'n'P VF30, all you need is a K&N drop in and a properly tune engine management. An after market intake will not make u gain any more power it will just cause you to run rich.
All that except scrach the last word and change it to "lean".

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
Techie said:
With all my mods and now that I have a PnP'd VF30, does everyone here feel that I would benefit from a short ram. The flow rate is over 460cfm and I'm not sure if the stock box is keeping up. Any feedback?
I'd suggest considering your real goals.

Are you going to drive the car daily and keep it a decade, or are you simply going to trailer the car to motorsport events and then back home and keep it for a year (two extreme examples)?

When people talk about things that destroy motors, many mention detonation or heat or poor fueling etc., and it's true that those are factors that'll ruin a motor quickly. However, there are other things that'll ruin a motor slowly, over time, and dirt is one of them.

More air means poorer filtration in the physical world (in the world of advertising, other "rules" seem to apply...). Poor filtration will allow more dirt into the motor.

Given that, the question is, "do you care" and that's why I mentioned the two examples of goals for the car. If you want to drive the car forever and keep the motor as protected as possible, forget intakes and such with aftermarket filtration systems.

Otherwise, it's a give-and-take numbers game. For any mod, weigh the cost in longevity vs. the gains in power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts