Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think so.

1) It has a flex joint located closer to the manifold than JDM or MRT the turbo inlet for less turbulence near the inlet.
2) It it a larger diameter than the JDM catless uppipe.
3) It's easier to install than a rigid uppipe.
4) It's beautiful.
5) It's made by Autospeed performance, maker of performance exhuast for the Audi S4 that everyone said couldn't be made.

We'll have real world testing with this prototype in about a week.

I'm taking pre-orders for late January delivery. Check out the vendor forum for details.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Look at the craftsmanship! This isn't even a production piece!!!
The production uppipe will be mandrel bent for increased smoothness and have fewer welds over the tubing.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
What's an asshat? :confused:

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
that's the new mandrel-bent ones???

doesn't look like it. It looks like the one installed on Joe's car at the meet.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
EGT Sensor Bung

That is beautiful, I'm agreeing with you on that one. But i gotta question, (i'm in the market for a flex up-pipe) does this have an EGT Sensor bung so it won't throw any CELs? Hit it up.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: EGT Sensor Bung

RLsChMiDt said:
That is beautiful, I'm agreeing with you on that one. But i gotta question, (i'm in the market for a flex up-pipe) does this have an EGT Sensor bung so it won't throw any CELs? Hit it up.
You can pull and hang the EGT sensor and it won't cause any cells, or you can install the 22k ohm resistor on the connector. PPM or Autospeed will likely supply this fix for a very small charge. We are looking into it.

-Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jim, any comments on how it compares to the BPM Flex uppipe? subaruwrxparts.com is the only place i've found it.

I, too, would rather have a bung or two for aftermarket EGT.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stanton said:
Jim, any comments on how it compares to the BPM Flex uppipe? subaruwrxparts.com is the only place i've found it.

I, too, would rather have a bung or two for aftermarket EGT.
1) The uppipe is not the best place for an aftermarket EGT probe. (The passenger's side manifold is.)

2) The OEM EGT thermistor is unnecessary and impedes flow.

3) You want the smoothest, most laminar flow at the turbo inlet and having an EGT probe jutting into the air is not the way to achieve that.

4) The BPM looks like a really nice piece. In fact, it's eerily similar to the Autospeed uppipe.

-Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jim, your comments make sense.

Did I read that you tapped your EGT probe directly into the manifold?

·
Registered
202 Posts
very nice Jim! I would suggest to have the studs preinstalled to make install even easier as trying to re-use stock studs is almost impossible. If I ever had leaking porblems with my perrin up-pipe ( knock on wood!) that is the design I would go with. Makes sense to have a flex section in the up-pipe to reduce vibration issues that cause many up-pipe flanges/gaskets to fail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How about the vishnu flex uppipe?

"Like our legendary 321 Up-Pipe, our new Flex Up-pipe offers hefty ½-inch cut flanges and bungs for the factory EGT probe as well as an extra bung for an aftermarket wide or narrow-band 02 sensor. With a high quality flex-joint to relieve much of the tension endured by rigid up-pipe, this 304 Stainless constructed piece is well suited for hard-driven street cars that see constant heat cycling."

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well, I have it in my car (the Autospeed that is, just like the one in the picture) and I love it. Looks great, no leaks, and the performance is as good as or better than any up-pipe reviews I have read. Its been in a month now and I still go WOW everytime I really stomp it. Also, being at the Autospeed shop, seeing their workspace and meeting the people who do the work really gave me the assurance I like to have before dropping money into a performance part.

-joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts