ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:This is probably a common sense question, but im tryna see if I should actually break my neck trying to find a good STi for a good price. Or should I do what my mind tells me and try to upgrade certain things on a stock WRX to make it just as good as an STi. From what I read a WRX is just an STi minus some hp, and of course other performance parts. BUt basically speaking what makes an STi an STi? Is it just a matter of upgrading the turbo and other things or what?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Chassis, gearbox, suspension, and brakes alone will cost you more to buy afterwards than the difference between the two models initially. Buy the car you want from the start, keep it stock, and call it a day.

·
Registered
491 Posts
While this has been covered probably more than any other topic, i'll give you my answer, as i feel that it is better than mot people's responses.

Is it possible to turn a wrx into an STi??? Absolutely!

Is it reasonable??? Absolutely NOT!

The amount of money to COMPLETELY make a wrx into an STi will be much more than if you just bought an STi to begin with.

HOWEVER, who says that you need to buy EVERYTHING???

Let's say that there is an 8k difference in price between a new wrx and new sti. In order to put your car on the same level, you would roughly need...

a.) Stage 2: Engine management and Turboback exhaust... ~$1000
b.) STI transmission: ~$2500 - $4000
c.) Upgraded struts and springs or coilovers... ~$500-$1000
d.) New tires: ~$500

At this point, there really isnt much that the STi has over your wrx anymore other than breaking power, but if you don't track the car, then you wil probably be just fine. Sure, the sti rear differential is better, but most people would have no idea how to extract its true performance value. And on top of this, you can build the car THE WAY YOU WANT IT!!! Not the way some engineer at STi wanted it. Not saying that those engineers are bad, but everyone has preferences, and might like stiffer shocks for example.

So, in the end, if you shop well and do much of the work yourself, you can save money by upgrading certain components. Of course it won't be a "true" sti, but it will be darn close. And on top of that, you'll save big on insurance.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The Sti is a lot better than a wrx, it is much much much more practical and intelligent just to buy a STi

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
While this has been covered probably more than any other topic, i'll give you my answer, as i feel that it is better than mot people's responses.

The amount of money to COMPLETELY make a wrx into an STi will be much more than if you just bought an STi to begin with.

Let's say that there is an 8k difference in price between a new wrx and new sti. In order to put your car on the same level, you would roughly need...

At this point, there really isnt much that the STi has over your wrx anymore other than breaking power, but if you don't track the car, then you wil probably be just fine. Sure, the sti rear differential is better, but most people would have no idea how to extract its true performance value. And on top of this, you can build the car THE WAY YOU WANT IT!!! Not the way some engineer at STi wanted it. Not saying that those engineers are bad, but everyone has preferences, and might like stiffer shocks for example.

So, in the end, if you shop well and do much of the work yourself, you can save money by upgrading certain components. Of course it won't be a "true" sti, but it will be darn close. And on top of that, you'll save big on insurance.
+gospel

This is exactly why I love my WRX. Looks stock, and will pull away from a STI/EVO firmly. It wasn't cheap, but it has been fun modding along the way. My insurance is relatively cheap and I don't get profiled like STI owners do. I sometimes wish I had gone with a bigger turbo, but for a daily driver I really think the vf34 is perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well pretty much I do see ur point. Im i guy who is trying to convert from those honda ricers to real performance in a way. but i love the sti, always did but damn for the price of an 04' STi I can get a brand new car. Never the less I really just like the WRX and just want a cheap alt. to the STi. So in a way I just want to make the same hp, as noobish as that sounds. So what would happen if I just swapped turbos?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well pretty much I do see ur point. Im i guy who is trying to convert from those honda ricers to real performance in a way. but i love the sti, always did but damn for the price of an 04' STi I can get a brand new car. Never the less I really just like the WRX and just want a cheap alt. to the STi. So in a way I just want to make the same hp, as noobish as that sounds. So what would happen if I just swapped turbos?

If you just want to be fast as an sti, your going to need a bigger intercooler, a new turbo, a new exhaust system and some engine management and a good tune. To get your car to stop and handle as well as an sti is going to take alot more.

Hope that helps.

·
29,225 Posts
So what would happen if I just swapped turbos?
The car would start but not run well and you'd be down the cost of a turbo. Depending on the model you've chosen to upgrade you will need other parts as well. The torque produced by later motors with moderate mods or early motors with less moderate mods is frequently enough to add a gearbox and ancillaries to the shopping list.

I'd buy a new car and keep it stock, but that's just me. If you cannot afford a WRX plus insurance, look elsewhere, there are several interesting cars out there that come with a factory warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you just want to be fast as an sti, your going to need a bigger intercooler, a new turbo, a new exhaust system and some engine management and a good tune. To get your car to stop and handle as well as an sti is going to take alot more.

Hope that helps.
would I have to modify engine internals for this?

·
29,225 Posts
would I have to modify engine internals for this?
Almost certainly not for later models. You will probably increase the chances of seeing a gearbox on a work bench though.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
It's much more logical to get a STI if that is the performance you are looking for.

However if you just want to be faster in a straight line a ProTuned stage 2 WRX will give a STI a good run. The difference is the STI doesnt have to worry about replacing the tranny after some hard runs.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Truthfully, i wouldn't trade my stage 2 wrx for an STi anyday! EVER!!! As a daily driver, it is much more practical than an STi. I swapped in an 07 sti transmission (2700 after sale of my old trans), running stage 2 from cobb (900 for both the AP and turboback), have DNA coilovers (950), STi rims and tires (800), random bushings (100)

2700 + 900 + 950 + 800 + 100 = $5450

so, for 2500 less than an STi, i have a car that basically only looses to an STi in the braking department. But if you compare an 06 wrx's brakes to most other cars, the 06 wrx is much better. And frankly, unless you track the car, there isn't really need to better brakes.

Then, buy an sti intercooler (~300), vf39 (600), and for another 900, go stage 2 w/ vf39 and have an additional 70hp over a stock STi with better driveability.

·
29,225 Posts
My ideal Impreza would be larger than and Outback on the inside, smaller than a Justy on the outside, with a 6spd that's got wider spacing from 1-3 than the STi.

Since that's not available, since I think the WRX is a better road car than the WRX STi, and since Subaru are better at making STi cars than anyone I know (they've got the most practice, after all...) I've settled for a WRX. Depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have an 03 wrx paid 16,000 for it since i have done about 5,000 in upgrades and it is also as good as a sti the only thing i need is a new turbo and supporting mods which i will be ordering in about 4 weeks so thats another 1200, i might not have a 6 speed or brembo's but my brakes are just as good and stop good. And i have beaten stock sti's already....and i am still cheaper than a sti

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
i have an 03 wrx paid 16,000 for it since i have done about 5,000 in upgrades and it is also as good as a sti the only thing i need is a new turbo and supporting mods which i will be ordering in about 4 weeks so thats another 1200, i might not have a 6 speed or brembo's but my brakes are just as good and stop good. And i have beaten stock sti's already....and i am still cheaper than a sti
You'll have to factor in resale value, depreciation on the parts, reliblity (past 1-3 years), ease of repair (probaly do not have a warranty), you didnt mention anything about the tranny in the car, along with several other factors to decide if you in fact "got a deal" or not.

Being "faster" can be done easily. Being "faster" longer and having something you can recoupe some money out of is another. Not to mention if mine breaks I drop it off to Subaru and ask them to fix it. If god forbid you totaled your car tomorrow....you more then likely will only get what's the car is worth, and will lose the aftermarket parts.

The arguement can go either way. With the price of bugeyes it's rather cheap to make something equal to a STI. But that arguement can go the same for Geo's, Pintos, and Chevettes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
warranty no, dont need it,if something breaks fix it ur self, as for tranny just flywheel and clutch but i am researching as we speak for gears to go with 18g(which will still be cheaper than a sti)

Granted the sti is a great car, i like them but what fun is it when u buy a car already to go, the car isn't yours.

I guess u can go the same way with taking a 98 2.5 and dropping some money get a better car than a sti and still be cheaper.....but it is just my 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts