Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,316 Posts
There are companies that make their own take on the stock vf52 that your wrx has. But if it is different at all from your oem one, you will more than likely need a pro tune. If the insurance company is giving you money towards a new aftermarket turbo, you might want to consider something slightly larger that will net you some more power.

Of course, this means you will need other upgrades as well. Injectors and a fuel pump at minimum for a larger turbo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a private warranty I bought with the car...they have a clause that says I cant modify the engine to increase power...just wondering if a stock after market turbo will last ok, and run as good as OEM...

thanks !

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,791 Posts
I’d hope not.

Your OEM turbo failed very prematurely!

Mine is still going on my 2002, for example.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Of course, this means you will need other upgrades as well. Injectors and a fuel pump at minimum for a larger turbo.
OP, make sure you listen to this; if it's even a "different" turbo than the stocker, I would think it would be a good idea to get a tune and make sure you have the correct supporting hardware.

Insurance won't pay for OEM replacement? That strikes me as very strange.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're trying to save money, by going after-market. Theoretically, i am required to follow Subaru's recommendations for maintenance. In my case I did only one oil change a y ear, instead of 2 changes a year. My mileage was very low however, which was what I had to argue with the warranty people. I always check my oil levels, and the car didnt dip below half of the required amount, so I dont think that's what caused the turbo to blow. They found 2 small pieces of metal in the oil pan from the turbo, which they extracted with a magnet. The service guy said there could even be more damage to the engine and they wont know, until they open it up. He did mention he saw worse, and was guessing my car would be ok. I'm still pretty nervous about the results. I should find out today if the mechanic will go for the after-market turbo or not. Subaru wants to charge me 3500$CAN to replace the turbo, parts and labor included. YIKES.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unless you get aftermarket turbo with the same specs as the OEM turbo I would stick with OEM. There are many factors to consider if the specs are not the same. It is not difficult to install a new turbo, that should save you some $$.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There have been a lot of WRX's wrecked over the years, many were almost new (knucklehead young drivers). I had to replace my 2002's turbo when a mechanic "friend" split it and then screwed up reassembly. Long story short, I bought a near-new turbo from a wrecked car for $400. I drove that car for another 130,000 miles with no problems, and to my knowledge, it is still going fine. A huge problem with bigger blowers is the head gaskets can't take the pressure. They also create more heat (compressing air heats it) and bad things happen to an engine from that as well. I'm on my second WRX, and have found that relieving backpressure with bigger bellmouth and exhaust improves spool up and boosts power safely (i.e. protecting the headgaskets). Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need to document that any replacement turbo must have the same specifications as the original. Otherwise you'll need a pro tune and probably different fuel injectors and fuel pump. Ask them if they're willing to pay for that.

Also any replacement turbo could probably be considered a modification to increase power which would put you in violation of the terms of the warranty.

You really need to do your homework. Right now they have you in a Catch-22. Also does the warranty require mediation in the case of a dispute?

They may not cover the cost of a new OEM turbo. Would they cover the cost of rebuilding your TD-04? Talk to Blouch for an idea of cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Time to change insurance companies. For body panels, aftermarket makes cosmetic sense. An engine component I would think is more a reliability topic. But realistically, this is a money topic. If it's a daily driver, gotta go for reliability. If it's a weekend car, aim for a bigger turbo (or smaller if you want more low end/quicker spool up).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its a private warranty i bought , third party , but recommended by Subaru when I bought the car. I cant cancel it, it's a contract specifying certain terms of payment. In fact its been pretty good so far.
News - update. Subaru has told the company an after-market turbo is not recommended. The mechanics at Subaru have seen cheap-ass after market turbos blow out after 6 months. The insurance company will only pay for the after-market, so things were at a stand still. I offered to pay the difference on an OEM turbo. Both sides agreed, and the part was ordered. The insurance company will pay 1800$ , and I'll pay 1300$. It's not ideal, but at least am I getting an OEM turbo for my daily driver car. And I'm not paying 3500$.
Hopefully when they replace the turbo, there wont be any other damage to the engine ...
thanks everyone for the input !

·
Registered
7 Posts
They're trying to save money, by going after-market. Theoretically, i am required to follow Subaru's recommendations for maintenance. In my case I did only one oil change a y ear, instead of 2 changes a year. My mileage was very low however, which was what I had to argue with the warranty people. I always check my oil levels, and the car didnt dip below half of the required amount, so I dont think that's what caused the turbo to blow. They found 2 small pieces of metal in the oil pan from the turbo, which they extracted with a magnet. The service guy said there could even be more damage to the engine and they wont know, until they open it up. He did mention he saw worse, and was guessing my car would be ok. I'm still pretty nervous about the results. I should find out today if the mechanic will go for the after-market turbo or not. Subaru wants to charge me 3500$CAN to replace the turbo, parts and labor included. YIKES.
I think part of the problem was that you were trying to save money not doing oil changes when they were scheduled. & driving a car with half the required amount of oil in it. Once you get your turbo replaced, I would recommend changing your oil every 3k miles, or 2x per year, always keep it topped up, I would do a used oil analysis, and an oil consumption test.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats really good to know, especially in light of the fact that the garage i took the car to, told me if my mileage was low, i would only need to change the oil once a year. Do you think this contributed to the turbo failure ?
The garage in question is not an official Subaru service center, it is a private garage specializing in Saab and Subaru cars...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know how small pieces of a turbo could possibly end up in an oil pan? I can't envision it.

In my area, an oil change for a WRX is about $30, less than a full tank of gas. Friends, don't be cheap when it comes to proper maintenance!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,791 Posts
Not through the engine. I suppose wear metals can enter through the oil plumbing to the turbo?

·
Æternum
16,063 Posts
My turbo has blown. The insurance company will only cover the costs if an after-market turbo is installed.
They wont pay for OEM.
Thoughts ?
What? This makes absolutely no sense.

1. Why would an insurance company cover a failed part that is not essential to the safety of the vehicle?
2. Exactly what Turbo would the "insurance" company cover if NOT OEM? There aren't OEM replacement turbos on the market.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I had assumed he was confusing "insurance" with some kind of extended warranty company, or whatever.
Yeah, my insurance company doesn't give a crap if my car breaks down mechanically, unless it involves 2 cars bumping into each other, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.