Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my STi now for around six months and think that I can drive it quite smoothly and effortlessly (with double-clutch downshifting, etc...)granted that the STi was my first manual car.

I've recently had a chance to drive a few different manual cars: 2004 Acura TSX, Mazda RX-8, and a Protoge. I've come to the conclusion that the STi is so much harder to drive in terms of effort. All the cars I've mentioned had super-silky shifts and super plush clutches. It seems that the STi clutch is so 10x more stiffer, but at the same time more precise. All the other clutches seem very "dull" in terms of engagement. I don't know if this is due to the STi clutch being quite stiff, so more precise pressure is needed.

I'm guessing that the reason for all of this is because the STi driveline/clutch assembly is a lot more hardy/robust than the cars I've mentioned? I would think that the RX-8 would be similar to the STi, because of it's similar HP rating/performace, but it was still had a lot plusher (softer) clutch as well as ease in shifting.

Also, does a hard clutch/soft clutch mean anything? I wonder if higher end performance cars (porsche, vettes) have a similar "raw" feel like the STi?

Not ranting or anything as I love my STi...just making some observations :wiggles:

·
Registered
133 Posts
The fact that it's turbo'd would have something to do about it. How did you like the TSX?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I can usually jump in a manual tranny car, and have the smooth shifting down in a matter of 5-10 shifts. With my WRX, it seems like it took a couple of days before I was able to really shift it smoothly. Maybe it's a Subaru thing.:)

I'm not at all surprised that the Acura shifts smoothly. I think that perhaps the STi's setup is good, but just suffering by comparison to some really silky trannies. (from what I've heard, I haven't driven the RX-8 or the TSX)

·
Registered
39 Posts
No question, it is an STI thing. Even the WRX was much easier to drive smoother. I think this is because the transmission is beefier and because there is so much more power available. If you don't give it the exact correct amount of gas, too much or not enough power will make your shift lurch slightly.

But, you have to remember the STI is all about performance. It isn't a cruiser. :cool:

·
Registered
474 Posts
STi over the WRX

Hmmm.... that's funny. I disagree that the WRX is easier to drive. I think the STi shifts sooo much smoother. It's like butter compared to my WRX.

Overall, you are correct in your assumption that Subi's aren't as refined as others. This topic has been touched on several times. The WRX and STi are not smooth shifting cars, like Hondas and VWs. It's just it's nature. You'll get better as time goes on. My WRX is the first stick I've owned, but I grew up in a family that drove manuals so I've always known how. Sill, it took me a good chunk of miles to get use to the WRX clutch and shift gate.

Enjoy the 300 ft-lbs. :D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
most of the performance cars have stiff clutch. Thanx to my recent part time job as a valet i've driven couple Ferraris, Porsches and so on and they do have stiff clutch, i also heard that Lamborgini is the hardest.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I find my WRX pretty difficult to drive smoothly in traffic and when I am driving it like a grandma, it seems to run super smooth only when at WOT and shifting in the high 6000s. I can't complain about that though :)

-joe

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
I find my WRX pretty difficult to drive smoothly in traffic and when I am driving it like a grandma, it seems to run super smooth only when at WOT and shifting in the high 6000s. I can't complain about that though :)

-joe
I agree 100%. When I shift into 2nd between 2k-3k there is always a clunk unless I really slip the clutch. When I shift at 5.5-6k it just goes right in. Hellllooooooooo 15mpg! :eek:

-snowcat

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too would say my WRX (not an STI) has been one of the more...demanding manual transmissions I have used. I guess it helps that I learned stick driving on an old Fiat X 1-9, which was also very stiff.

It took me about 2 weeks to get a smooth shift going. I usually get a bit rough when it comes time to leave other behind.

I'm sure I could improve the shifting by adding mods for the shifter, bushings, etc. But I enjoy it stock as is for now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
which model is that, i know lambos are notorious for stiff clutches, esp the countach/diablo

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own a WRX but practiced a few days before hand on my friends Mini Cooper S. Learning on the cooper was interesteing cause it was the first car I learned on. After a while I got the shifting down, but the cluch was really soft and his gear box was loose.

Then I got my WRX...WOW! Hard clutch, tight gear box... granted the shifting isn't smooth... but I like it alot. I gotta get used to so much power.

·
Registered
190 Posts
its funny
i use to think that bmw's audi's japanese cars felt like they had a good shift feel.......real smooth light clutch
but now that i have my car everything else feels mushy
once you are use to a stiff clutch and tight stiff shifting everything else feels.....soft and unresponsive
in my opinion the stiffer clutch and tighter notchy shifting.......makes me feel i am more connected to the car.
like mustangs camaros corvettes s2000.......stiff clutch and short notchy shifts

·
Registered
190 Posts
its funny
i use to think that bmw's audi's japanese cars felt like they had a good shift feel.......real smooth light clutch
but now that i have my car everything else feels mushy
once you are use to a stiff clutch and tight stiff shifting everything else feels.....soft and unresponsive
in my opinion the stiffer clutch and tighter notchy shifting.......makes me feel i am more connected to the car.
like mustangs camaros corvettes s2000.......stiff clutch and short notchy shifts

to answer your question YES it is harder to drive but easier to drive once you are use to it.......it took me like a month before i liked my cars shifting

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for everyone's responses.... I think you guys are right.. the STi just feels more precise while the cars I've mentioned were mushy. True they were very easy to shift and the clutch was soft as sponge, I did notice that they were not as responsive as the STi. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the clutch is so stiff, so more precise pressure is necessary?

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,934 Posts
I've driven manual trans subies since '83 and none of them have been smooth shifting cars,nature of the beast IMO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts