ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kills me to even mention this because I'm a AWD Turbo guy all the way. But Holy Cr!P, 40K+ for an STI.... I'm sorry but I would put down that money for something like the new Camaro before I bought this Mazda looking thing they call an STI. Now unlike alot of other people I really like the Hatch, but it looks like a damm Mazda 3. Well unless they drop the price big time I'm waiting for the Camaro. Sorry.

SKi...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Uh guys....woohoo ........ over here.... The 2008 STI starts at $35k same as always. A $40k one has the Navigation previously unavailable.

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZAWRX&trim=STI&command=overview
Yeah, and unless your dad owns a dealership you're going to pay $40k out the door for tax/title/license/markup if you want the non-dodge caliber wheels (remember when BBS came stock!? :eek: ). For all intents and purposes it is now a $40,000 car. Invoice on a base model with no options is still over $33,000 and considering it's January of 08, I'm not thinking there's going to be a "sale" any time soon.

~Tim

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
It's not just you re: STi pricing, but I'd not consider a Camaro either. Since the economy is no paragon of stability at this stage, and since the new body style is not to everyone's liking my hope is that the new Impreza will be a sales fiasco, as this will correct pricing errors while keeping the lines at dealer service bays and such as low as possible (better for those that do purchase an Impreza after all).

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
The one I saw at the dealership here said $42K :screwy: Dealer mark up ftl.

That was at Stevens Creek Subaru which is the worlds worst dealership in the entire world bar none, no exaggeration.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Yeah, and unless your dad owns a dealership you're going to pay $40k out the door for tax/title/license/markup if you want the non-dodge caliber wheels (remember when BBS came stock!? :eek: ). For all intents and purposes it is now a $40,000 car. Invoice on a base model with no options is still over $33,000 and considering it's January of 08, I'm not thinking there's going to be a "sale" any time soon.

~Tim
Well Matter of fact Maita Subaru in good old Sacramento here, had 2 08 STi's in stock last week when I stopped by with $0 markup, and after talking with the salesman for 5min he told me that they were willing to wheel and deal on the new STi as sales were slow due to the housing fiasco.

BTW 2004-2007 STi's by your definition were $40k cars too.....dunno why the 08's are any different.

SD_GR-

I'm with you, I hope sales tank so I can source one OTD for $30k or even high twenties.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not just you re: STi pricing, but I'd not consider a Camaro either. Since the economy is no paragon of stability at this stage, and since the new body style is not to everyone's liking my hope is that the new Impreza will be a sales fiasco, as this will correct pricing errors while keeping the lines at dealer service bays and such as low as possible (better for those that do purchase an Impreza after all).
As much as I like the STI, I would never pay over $25K for an Impreza. The WRX is a damned good car and the STI probably even a better car than the base WRX, but now way would I pay that much money.

If I were going to throw $40k at a car... just a car that's fun, then I'd buy a slightly used Porche or Corvette. Yeah I know there are people out there who can drop $40K and not blink an eye, but to spend it on an Impreza? No way.

You can buy a base WRX and tune it to better performance than an STI for a lot less money.

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
For my own good I am in a tough financial situation right now... But in about 18 months (God willing) I will likely be in the market for a nice daily driver. I have a feeling that pricewise, that will be the best time to consider a new STi...

·
29,219 Posts
You can buy a base WRX and tune it to better performance than an STI for a lot less money.

I disagree. Although the motors are basically the same, the motors are also basically irrelevant when it comes to performance. The gearbox, brakes, and suspension components add up quickly and it makes no financial sense to modify a WRX to exceed an STi. However, that's not to say it makes any financial sense to buy an STi to begin with either at the reported pricing.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
29,219 Posts
Uh, BBS wheels came STOCK on all previous wrx's aside from the new 08's :confused1

There's a stock STi wheel plus a BBS option now.

SD_GR-
I'm with you, I hope sales tank so I can source one OTD for $30k or even high twenties.
The volatility is amazing in the economy... I'm not chomping at the bit to part with moneyin the near future (plus I'm not eager to beta test an 08 while payingfor it either). My hope is that thing will settle down by 09 or so, plus that'll give Subaru time to correct any faults that pop up in the 08s.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoa!

Ok, this is the deal. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges by going from the STI to the camaro. BUT!!!! honestly, can you really tell me that the STI is a fresh advancement in technology. Because I don't see it. Whoa!!! its a whole 5HP more then last year. Come on guys...

I know that a few years ago I could get an STI out the door for $30K, no matter what the price tag was. Now I'm looking at the new STI and I see nothing more then a $13K rolling chassis... You going to tell me that there is more then $20K worth of trans and engine. NFW!!

If the Camaro sticks to what is probably the final version of the concept. You get a very sleek looking car, about 300 pounds heavier then the STI but a base 400HP V8 for $33K.... You do the math.

SKi....

·
29,219 Posts
Ok, this is the deal. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges by going from the STI to the camaro. BUT!!!! honestly, can you really tell me that the STI is a fresh advancement in technology. Because I don't see it. Whoa!!! its a whole 5HP more then last year. Come on guys...
Increased power is of little, if any value, since last year's motor had adequate power anyway. The new chassis looks very promising and they've apparently made a conscious effort to correct the deficiencies in the previous body. If the result is as rumoured -- a 5-door car with STi handling and dynamics but WRX manners or better -- it is a major step forward.

Granted, a 5-door world-conquering turbo 4 AWD hatch was novel in 1987 when Lancia did it, but then again Lancia has fielded the best rallye team in the world year after year. It's not a new recipe that Subaru is following, but it is proven effective.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Technically a 12 hp upgrade from last year but as SD_GR said rather inconsequential. (power was 293 HP last year due to SAE power rating change over)

I know that a few years ago I could get an STI out the door for $30K, no matter what the price tag was. Now I'm looking at the new STI and I see nothing more then a $13K rolling chassis...
Well you are the only one I know of who ever got a brand new one that cheap, I woulda jumped on that. FYI: The new STi is not just a WRX with a few add ons like previous years. The chassis while retaining similar looks to the WRX has been beefed up down to the sheet metal GA. Chassis stiffness is much improved over the WRX and drastically improved over previous year STi's.

If the Camaro sticks to what is probably the final version of the concept. You get a very sleek looking car, about 300 pounds heavier then the STI but a base 400HP V8 for $33K.... You do the math.
Truly the two are in completely different worlds. The STi has arguably way more Utility with the fold down seats, 4 doors, AWD and backseats you can actually use.

I have seen the "New Camaro" every year at SEMA since its concept debut in 2005. The interior proves to be GM Tonka toy plastic with horrible fit and finish. Yes the drive train is nice you'll get no dissenting opinion on that here, but the styling to me is worse the the 08 Wrx (opinions differ). No doubt you will have enormous amounts of over steer on command, and the handling will suffer because of it. Trunk space is limited as is back seat room, and my need to haul 4 passengers overwhelms the need for the err... added coolness of 2 doors. Couple that with the fact that when these things (and IF) they ever hit showrooms, there will no doubt be a standard GM dealer around here markup of $5k-$10k, it makes it semi unobtainable and prices it out of this debate.

Nevertheless I feel the facts overrule your opinion, but if you like the Camaro then by all means buy one. You won't get any competition from me. ;)

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
I think the 08 is Nice and inline with the industry trends, what does everyone except from subaru, two door coupes?

Oh and BTW, the Resale value of Camaros is about the same as the resale value on used condoms....

·
29,219 Posts
I hope you're right, Big Sky; lower prices would be great!

Proof that Subaru made the right decision re: a 5-dr turbo AWD hatch with flared fenders: It's worked before, it'll work again. If Abarth can do twenty years ago, can't STi sort it out today? The price is a major issue though. Hopefully they'll fix that too.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts