Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I buy my wrx and I started to notice all of these my02/03 rexs in baltimore with sti emblems in the grill and subaru techina..... stickers on the doors. I thought that the STI was only introduced to the us in my04. Kind of seems to be misrepresenting yourself to the world. Kind of like rebadging your bmw 318 with an M3 placard.

I'm also a maxima(i30) owner, and if you saw a GTR placard on a maxima, you reach out and whoop his ass for being stupid with a sticker.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ah, but a GTR sticker on a Maxima is a totally different deal.

Apples ± Oranges.

STi is not a trim level of a whole nother model. STi is not "type R" STi is more like "AMG" or "///M".

My official stance is... Stickers in non STi model places or on the STi part itself, OK if you have STi parts. STi stickers/decals/emblems in stock STi Impreza places, no good unless you have an STi.

Your milage may vary.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vostok 7 said:
Ah, but a GTR sticker on a Maxima is a totally different deal.

Apples ± Oranges.

STi is not a trim level of a whole nother model. STi is not "type R" STi is more like "AMG" or "///M".

My official stance is... Stickers in non STi model places or on the STi part itself, OK if you have STi parts. STi stickers/decals/emblems in stock STi Impreza places, no good unless you have an STi.

Your milage may vary.

Vostok 7
I suddenly have been transported to ancient philosophy.

So what your saying is...... If you have STi emblems where they are supposed to be placed, and you have STi parts on the car....thats to your pleasing. If you have STi emblems inplace of WRX/RS emblems, thats just plain bad taste?

·
Registered
692 Posts
No, what I'm saying is if you have an STi sticker on your window (for instance) or have STi foglight covers, or an STi muffler, or the STi intercooler, or anything STi that (always) has the STi logo on it, that is fine IMO.

But if you have the STi door stickers, the STi badge on your trunk, that sort of thing to make your car look like it's an STi and doesn't just have STi parts, then that's over the line IMO.

But that's just my $0.02.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
if you were going jdm style or had something that came on the JDM sti (bug eye style), then its okay. But it comes down to "if you like them, then do it".

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vostok 7 said:
No, what I'm saying is if you have an STi sticker on your window (for instance) or have STi foglight covers, or an STi muffler, or the STi intercooler, or anything STi that (always) has the STi logo on it, that is fine IMO.

But if you have the STi door stickers, the STi badge on your trunk, that sort of thing to make your car look like it's an STi and doesn't just have STi parts, then that's over the line IMO.

But that's just my $0.02.

Vostok 7
I understand, I think that its false advertising if you dont have the items installed. I really dont know if these cars did or not, but I began to think that maybe there was a STi offered for 02 and 03.

·
Registered
692 Posts
LouieWRX said:
I understand, I think that its false advertising if you dont have the items installed. I really dont know if these cars did or not, but I began to think that maybe there was a STi offered for 02 and 03.
I hear that. I had replica STi foglight covers with the STi stickers on awhile back and I'd get people asking "Oh! Is that an STi!"...

But now, even with the stickers gone I still get asked that... So it's not a big deal to me.

I try to be pretty open about it... If you had asked this over at NASIOC you'd be suprised at the hate and venom spewed at the mere thought of having STi logos on your car if it wasn't an STi, countered by the people who don't care, who are called "ricers" and "riceboys" :rolleyes:

Really, it doesn't matter. I like the little bling of pink here and there, and I don't feel bad about it because I have STi parts. But I'm not going to go out of my way to make my car look like it's an STi.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vostok 7 said:
I hear that. I had replica STi foglight covers with the STi stickers on awhile back and I'd get people asking "Oh! Is that an STi!"...

But now, even with the stickers gone I still get asked that... So it's not a big deal to me.

I try to be pretty open about it... If you had asked this over at NASIOC you'd be suprised at the hate and venom spewed at the mere thought of having STi logos on your car if it wasn't an STi, countered by the people who don't care, who are called "ricers" and "riceboys" :rolleyes:

Really, it doesn't matter. I like the little bling of pink here and there, and I don't feel bad about it because I have STi parts. But I'm not going to go out of my way to make my car look like it's an STi.

Vostok 7
I've learned not to do anything on NASIOC except check out the f/s pages. I got reamed for not knowing how to proxy bid on ebay.

·
Registered
692 Posts
NASIOC is a decent place, but you learn pretty quick not to go against the flow. 30+ thousand members tend to want to get their way, and that way is usually not yours lol. I get along pretty reasonably over there but only because I don't bristle when they start the insults.

But yeah, overall I like this place better, even if it is alot slower.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've noticed they get better deals from vendors than other wrx boards. But I have gotten a few good ones here too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
LouieWRX said:
I've noticed they get better deals from vendors than other wrx boards. But I have gotten a few good ones here too.
The 25% off HKS products is a ClubWRX only deal ;)

Vostok 7

·
Registered
164 Posts
I dont understand it, Might as well put a Type-R badge on it. If you have a WRX its a WRX, not an STI. The only people who think its cool is the ones with them on the car. Everyone else knows the lie

·
Registered
692 Posts
grimm said:
I dont understand it, Might as well put a Type-R badge on it. If you have a WRX its a WRX, not an STI. The only people who think its cool is the ones with them on the car. Everyone else knows the lie
You make a good point, but you're still comparing apples to oranges.

STi isn't a model, like you would think. The Type-R is a model/trimlevel. The STi isn't a model/trimlevel.

STi is more like the AMG Mercedes. AMG used to be a separate company from Mercedes, but they specialized in tuning Mercedes cars. Now, they are the high performance factory tuning company (also, like Ford's SVT division).

STi is the same thing, a factory tuning company. Subaru Technica International. They are owned by Subaru, but they tune Subaru cars.

It's confusing yes, but it's easy if you think of it like Ford SVT or AMG Mercedes.

So, that's why I don't have a problem with STi stickers as I outlined before.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
grimm said:
I see people with stickers on their cars from prodrive and others, I dont think that Subaru made a prodrive edition wrx for the us market.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, I have some STi parts that actually have the logo on them like my V2 lip and my CF wing. I don't see any issue with it whatsoever unless you're trying to replicate an STi and pass the car off as such. Even then, its your car and your money. I haven't seen too many people doing this, personally. I totally agree with Vostok, STi is NOT the same as a "Type R" or whatever.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would like to add my two cents, if you don't mind. The STI logo has two primary applications:

· It represents the STI company
· It represents the STi Subaru Impreza model

While the graphic symbol is the same for each, it is different when standard type is used in written text as shown below.

a. The "STI" used for the company always uses Capitol Letters. It is never written STi, Sti or S.T.I.

b. The "STi" used to represent the Impreza model is used with a lower case "i". For example: STI is developing the new Impreza "STi" model.

Because the same logo is used to represent both the company itself and the Subaru Impreza model, a magenta STi logo placed anywhere on an Impreza WRX does not necessarily mean that the owner is trying to represent the vehicle as a model that it is not. It could simply mean that the owner would like it known that he or she has added Subaru Technica International parts to their Impreza, whether a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS, or WRX model.

Let me reiterate that no judgement can be made about the use of the logo unless the letters "s", "t", and "i" are used in written text.

Just so you know, it is totally inappropriate to use the logo:

· combined with other brands
· in a diagonal position or distorted in shape or proportions
· in another border shape or other colors or textures
· with a shadow or other 3D graphic effect

Hopefully I was able to provide some useful information in this seemingly interminable post. :wiggles:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts