Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
It basically teaches you the network world thru Cisco's eyes.

Your 1st semester is pretty much an overview of networking in general. After that you learn switches, then routers, and before you know it you're setting up frame relay networks and talking all about fancy protocols like you were born with it.

Its a great course to take if you have any interest in the IT field. However you really have to stay with it. Its tough for people comming in with no outside knowledge.

I'm almost a CCNP (thats the second level of cisco certification after your CCNA)
I've taken 7 semesters of the crap :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TB RACING said:
It basically teaches you the network world thru Cisco's eyes.

Your 1st semester is pretty much an overview of networking in general. After that you learn switches, then routers, and before you know it you're setting up frame relay networks and talking all about fancy protocols like you were born with it.

Its a great course to take if you have any interest in the IT field. However you really have to stay with it. Its tough for people comming in with no outside knowledge.

I'm almost a CCNP (thats the second level of cisco certification after your CCNA)
I've taken 7 semesters of the crap :)
Im pretty good with computers.
I know most of the words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
eh, cisco doesnt require too much computer knowledge really,

mainly it trains you to use their equipment and you just happen to learn other stuff by chance because you need to know how it works

you'll learn all about networking and the internet and crap, however you'll probably take very little out on anything about computers themselves
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TB RACING said:
eh, cisco doesnt require too much computer knowledge really,

mainly it trains you to use their equipment and you just happen to learn other stuff by chance because you need to know how it works

you'll learn all about networking and the internet and crap, however you'll probably take very little out on anything about computers themselves
Should I go for web design instead?

Cisco one is a hella easy class, its online curculim.
I dunno, I might get banned as a side affect; Finishing work early then posting "nonsence" and "wasting" bandwith :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
every semester is online

however its the labs you do in class that will teach you stuff,

if you want to pass the tests, read read and read some more.

if you want to learn anything, spend lots of time experimenting in the labs


I'd check to see what your school has for lab equipment before signing up. Make sure they have adequate number of routers for the students and lab workstations. A one to one ratio is ideal.
Generally you will be working in groups sharing 4 or 5 routers.

This is all irrelevant of course first semester. That one is pretty much just reading and learing terms.

If you dont plan to finish thri to your CCNA at least though, I wouldnt bother, I'd take a basic networking class instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
TB RACING said:
every semester is online

however its the labs you do in class that will teach you stuff,

if you want to pass the tests, read read and read some more.

if you want to learn anything, spend lots of time experimenting in the labs

I agree 100% fully... I've taken CISCO classes and I can tell you, the first part is nothing but the OSI model. You can't truly learn CISCO OS and other functions in a class. You can memorize and pass the test, but you will still have a lot to learn. Nothing counts like real world experience. I have yet to get my cert, don't have time right now, but I, like TB RACING, recommend taking a networking class or 2 before you try cisco. Then the first part will be more of a review than anything and you'll pick up on more and be able to apply it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Take it from a Win2k MCSE - Cisco is where the money is at! Well, at least more money than us MCSE's make. :D
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top