Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I KNOW that new SS Lines, pads, and maybe fluid does wonders...and the stock brakes are very good.

So I'm driving to work....EARLY...and I'm thinking about the whole Big brake kit thing...yes..I drool over Brembo and SToptechs...and have been thinking I'll probably get a BBK when I'm at stage 4...

...you know the saying...if you're making the car go faster, also make it stop faster..blah..blahh

I never questioned it till now...most manufacturers add bigger brakes to compensate for added weights...ofcourse sportscars add bigger brakes, cuz ..hey why not?

But since most people increase power to go faster to 100 mph...and not necessarily to go 150 mph and are NOT adding more weight...does the saying still ring true...if you're at stage 4 what reason is there really to get BBK? Is it NECESSARY?

what d'ya think?

Hg.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and to clarify...I'm mainly asking if by increasing the power in the WRX does the stock brakes become inadequate?

...and again, I don;t plan on going above 100 mph...very often:D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think lines, pads, and fluid, and maybe rotors (BLANKS!!!!) is good enough for just about anybody here. I know plenty of people who AutoX and road race with just pads, lines, and fluid with stock rotors and they all kill people with BBKs simply because they know how to drive. I think they are just a bling waste of money. Unless you are professional and need to be stopping from speeds in excess of 100mph to take a hairpin, the .01 seconds that a BBK might help you on a AutoX track or Road course is not going to mean very much when you are having fun on your daliy commute.

-joe

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's what I'm thinking...

making your car quicker doesn;t seem to directly affect your braking. I believe as weight increases, braking force needs to be up, but unless you're planning on very high speeds, nedine mods don;t neccessarily equate to the need for better brakes.

I do think suspension improvements are important with engine mods tho'.

Hg.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm still looking at brake upgrades myself. Yeah, a BBK would be nice, but I'm not racing, I'm just tearing up the occaisional backroad. BUT.... before I started, I didn't really get why everyone was down on the stock brakes, I thought they were pretty good. Certainly better than anything I ever had before. But since adding some power, yeah, I can see where they aren't quite enough. I didn't add weight, but adding power means that when you come out of that corner, instead of getting up to 60 before the next one, you'll be doing 70-80... THAT is why I want better brakes :)

So... I'm still trying to decide what to do....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No need for a bbk unless you are going to be tracking the car alot. As others have said pads, lines, fluid,rotors and most importantly tires will be more then enough for anything you will do on the street or in autox.

I only got a BBk because they came with the car:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts