Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my brother-in-law is this big Anime snob. Recently I got to listen to his little speil on how the animation in anime is so incredibly superior to anything any western company (ie, Disney) has done.

Now, I would consider myself a casual Anime fan, but I enjoy them for the story, and the intellectual exercise of understanding the heavy symbolism that much Anime generally has. Plus, it's a cultural awareness exercise.

But the animation? I've always felt it more or less sucks. Sure, there's some neat stuff here and there, but for the most part it seems to be pretty first-gen- some scenes seem to even use a single cell, only moving the mouth of the characters, ala Saturday morning cartoons. And granted, this is getting better. But, as far as I can tell, even the new classics like Mononoke have animation far inferior to the likes of anything Disney has done since about 1985.

Thoughts? Comments?

·
1,263 Posts
I liked Astroboy.........when I was 12.
Mind you there is something I still find pretty funny about a flying robot boy with a machine gun in his arse!

Final Fantasy was pretty amazing - kicked anything I have seen from Disney.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I think a big difference has to do with money. Disney spends an enormous amount of money on their movies, not to mention a large amount of artists and animators just for each film. The majority of anime isn't like that...there's usually just 1 or 2 character designers, 2 or 3 animators, and a few cell painters. Why? Because the majority of anime is just like what you said...like a Saturday morning cartoon. They're shown on a weekly basis on television, so of course their budget isn't going to be as high. They also can't afford to use all the computer-assisted cell animation that Disney has been using since Beauty and the Beast.

I'd say for a true fair comparison, find a big-budget anime movie or a short OVA series, such as Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, the Rurouni Kenshin OVA prequels, FLCL (FLCL fricken rules all btw), Blue Submarine No. 6, Jin Roh, etc.

Oh, and btw...your brother-in-law is an idiot. Anyone who's snobby enough to believe that anime is completely superior to any western animation needs a beat down.

·
980 Posts
single answer: ALL THAT AND MORE :D

-c

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I like watching Anime, but I will say that Disney animation is...not better, but different. To me they are just two different styles in representing a story. If the Anime characters were set in Disney animation, it wouldn't be the same thing. I think that is what sets Anime apart. The style of reproduction onto the screen is what makes it original.

Just my .02

-Josh

·
Registered
220 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:
So, my brother-in-law is this big Anime snob. Recently I got to listen to his little speil on how the animation in anime is so incredibly superior to anything any western company (ie, Disney) has done.

Now, I would consider myself a casual Anime fan, but I enjoy them for the story, and the intellectual exercise of understanding the heavy symbolism that much Anime generally has. Plus, it's a cultural awareness exercise.

But the animation? I've always felt it more or less sucks. Sure, there's some neat stuff here and there, but for the most part it seems to be pretty first-gen- some scenes seem to even use a single cell, only moving the mouth of the characters, ala Saturday morning cartoons. And granted, this is getting better. But, as far as I can tell, even the new classics like Mononoke have animation far inferior to the likes of anything Disney has done since about 1985.

Thoughts? Comments?
Hey you say your Bro in Law is an anime snob....call him an otaku and see what he says...he'll prolly get mad or not...hehehehehe.

Okay seriously though...anime and Disney are different in few ways. Like said before that disney has spent a lot of money in their productions...except for there actual series. Have you seen what those looked like lately? The best on so far is the house of mouse to a degree. their television animation sucks hard. Anime can go either route with a series...it could be go animation or bad...depending on the money situation. Disney always make high quality movies and such so.....anime does the same too. I think that Princess Mononoke is not inferior to disney because Disney in actuality studies a lot of Hayao' movies to come up with how they are going to do there own. Go to the Ghibli Studio web site and see for yourself. they study a large sum of the man's movies...which tells you that they are lacking innovation and ideas. But nice post though...lovin it to the fullest.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
To add to what Sideswipe said, if I remember correctly, Disney's "Atlantis" is an almost pure carbon copy of the anime "Nadia - Secret of Blue Water." I could very well be easily wrong though, so don't quote me.

·
Registered
907 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:

Thoughts? Comments?
hehehe, where to start? If anyone tells you Anime is superior to western companies they are wrong. Disney snaps up the best animators and artists from all over this rock. and Anything Pixar is worth OWNING.

As for animation... you havent seen animation until you see FURI-KURI (translates to "nonsense"). THe entire series makes no sense but would put to shame any previous animated piece. FURI-KURI has incredibly smooth animation and no nonsense camera angles...and the cinematography is brilliant!

Also, if you want to see some beautiful artwork i suggest you check out Satoshi Urushihara's movies (Plastic Little, Legend of Lemnear).

My $.02....Feel free to jump into this brad! :D

-Jae-

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
What about 20th Century Fox? I mean Disney is nothing compared to most anime, but I still have yet to find something comparable to Titan A.E.

By the way, I just saw Spirited Away last Friday. Not bad, but the plot gets kind of f'ed up at the end. My Asian friend insists that it doesn't, and that my cultural understanding is flawed. Who knows. Maybe I should have smoked some trees before seeing it.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Re: Re: Is Anime really all that?

Jtek said:

hehehe, where to start? If anyone tells you Anime is superior to western companies they are wrong. Disney snaps up the best animators and artists from all over this rock. and Anything Pixar is worth OWNING.

As for animation... you havent seen animation until you see FURI-KURI (translates to "nonsense"). THe entire series makes no sense but would put to shame any previous animated piece. FURI-KURI has incredibly smooth animation and no nonsense camera angles...and the cinematography is brilliant!

Also, if you want to see some beautiful artwork i suggest you check out Satoshi Urushihara's movies (Plastic Little, Legend of Lemnear).

My $.02....Feel free to jump into this brad! :D

-Jae-
Yep, and just to add...Furi-Kuri = FLCL :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
I liked Astroboy.........when I was 12.
Mind you there is something I still find pretty funny about a flying robot boy with a machine gun in his arse!

LOL, aussie. I remember that one too. :D :cool:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The devil is in the details!

Watch "Akira" and watch the background as they descend the elevator in the "flashback" scene. I mean, check out the lights in the buildings in the distance: they aren't just windows, but there are details in each one! That is quality.

Watch "Wings of Honneamise" (sp?) and watch as the rocket blasts off at the end, at all the thousands of tiny shards of ice crystals plummeting off the super-cooled engines... Wow...

In anime, I have seen some of the most beautiful art. Not to mention, "use of art." Has anyone ever really watched Ghost in the Shell? Have you noticed that certain images are used over and over again to denote meanings in the film? Remember the dog that is used on posters and on the TV, then is seen in real life? Remember how the main character saw herself in the store mannequin during the "montage" scene in the middle of the movie? It's not just the artwork, but how you use it... Disney is all literal, but good anime can be figurative - which is leaps and bounds ahead of Disney any day of the week!

-snowcat

·
Registered
907 Posts
ah yes, the classics Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

DOnt forget Battle Angel! Phreaky stuff!

-Jae-

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Jtek said:
ah yes, the classics Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

DOnt forget Battle Angel! Phreaky stuff!

-Jae-
Anime like "Battle Angel" is sublime because it's about more than just fighting, explosions, large chests on hot babes and big robots. It features a vision of a utopian/dystopian society... After all, how many feature films in American can even claim to think on that level?

-snowcat

·
Registered
11 Posts
snowcat said:
Watch "Wings of Honneamise" (sp?) and watch as the rocket blasts off at the end, at all the thousands of tiny shards of ice crystals plummeting off the super-cooled engines... Wow...

-snowcat
WOH was incredible!!! In fact on the VHS version they do a preview of it and compare it "Equal to anything by Uncle Walt."

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
4cfed said:

WOH was incredible!!! In fact on the VHS version they do a preview of it and compare it "Equal to anything by Uncle Walt."
If you like the film, definitely do yourself a favor by picking up the DVD version - it contains a TON of artwork - cells, conceptual drawings, etc. - I went through the slideshow and was amazed that it lasted as long as it did. Two thumbs way up for adding in the extras to that DVD!!

-snowcat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts