Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I am 26 years old. I am wondering if a WRX would be a good next car. I live in NJ so snow is a thing and also traffic. I am currently driving a 2016 Lexus is300 Automatic. I am thinking of a Limited WRX Manual OBVIOUSLY

I know going back to stick is going to take some getting used to. I have owned a 95 eclipse , 2003 RSX and 2012 SI in the past so I don't think the driving will be a huge issue.

The thing I am most doubtful is comfort will the change from Lexus to a street race car be too big of a gap in luxury and comfort?
I want to buy my next car - wondering if leasing to buy is a smart choice or is it worth to just buy from the start?

·
voidin warranty since 05
835 Posts
if memory serves me, you will be downgrading in "luxury." tho the wrx has made some strides to have a more qualitative feel, there will be a gap in transition from is300 to wrx, which isnt even really considered a street [performance] car.

if your commute traffic is heavy and consistent, youre going to hate the MT, but at the same time, its just one of those trade offs if youre not deadset on a CVT.

if luxury and comfort is your main focus, i would test drive first, get to know the interior. reconsider, but if they pep of a wrx still got you with feels, then you know what to do.

thank you @rich the spelling nazi for proof reading.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Never been in a is300, but you can bet you'll loose some niceties. Only way to know is check a WRX out.

Glad you are opting for the MT!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Hi Guys I am 26 years old. I am wondering if a WRX would be a good next car. I live in NJ so snow is a thing and also traffic. I am currently driving a 2016 Lexus is300 Automatic. I am thinking of a Limited WRX Manual OBVIOUSLY

I know going back to stick is going to take some getting used to. I have owned a 95 eclipse , 2003 RSX and 2012 SI in the past so I don't think the driving will be a huge issue.

The thing I am most doubtful is comfort will the change from Lexus to a street race car be too big of a gap in luxury and comfort?
I want to buy my next car - wondering if leasing to buy is a smart choice or is it worth to just buy from the start?
I'm 27, and have an 18 STi coming from an 04 & 06 WRX. so.... The cost of ownership is going to be a little more in favor on a WRX vs a Lexus.

The WRX is NOT a "Street Race Car" but it performs well in just about every condition, the price of all this will be Luxury. If you are going after brand names and Luxury you wont find what you are looking for in a Subaru. That being said, you will find a big 'ol smile every time you run into bad weather conditions or even twisties (I go through about 1/2 tank of fuel when we get snow in CO) Plus at our age, I want a vehicle that is fun, has curb appeal and every part isnt "Dealer only". (aka stupid high cost of ownership)

Since you are in NJ I would Highly recommend Clayton over at Ramsey Subaru as he is a Forum sponsor and treats everyone extremely well. (someone add his username)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I went from a BMW to a WRX and haven't looked back.

It will be a step down in refinement and amenities, no doubt, but potentially a step up in driving pleasure, especially if you like a manual transmission.

Things to think about with the WRX: very responsive but much increased road feel--you get used to it, but it's not a smooth ride in any way, shape or form. I have no problem with commuting in town with a MT.

However, it's very comfortable for me, reliable, not super-expensive to maintain, not as likely to be stolen as a Lexus or BMW (though not impossible, as I found to my displeasure).

The stock stereo is pretty crappy--the HK upgrade is probably OK, but if you go aftermarket plan to set aside $1000-1500 for a good system. You'll still probably be way ahead of the Lexus on total cost and insurance though...

There's a lot of road noise too, especially with winter tires. MUCH more than my BMW.

However, for me the cost of the BMW out of warranty was too daunting, plus the fun of driving a fairly lightweight, straightforward MT with a decent amount of pep and power was too tempting.

Give it a test--you'll either like it or you won't. If possible try to drive on some rougher roads or at highway speeds to get a feel for the ride and road noise.

Reactions: Lynnpie

·
Registered
586 Posts
Oh, back onto cost of ownership, Subaru warranty is 5 yr/60K, Lexus or BMW is 4 yr/50K, which for me is basically 2 years. :-/

I got an extended warranty with my Subie for a song, which includes oil changes. (Oil changes for the Beemer were EXPENSIVE, plus they usually found crap that required fixing, so even more $$$...) Therefore, no worries for 100K miles.

When I had my BMW's, looking at extended warranties, they were in the thousands, so just not rational for me. For my Subaru it was a no-brainer.

Do I miss my BMW's? When the sun is out and the temp is above 40 degrees, I miss my Z4 badly. Selling it was stupid--should have kept as a weekend car. Super fun to drive with 3L manual and RWD...

My X3? Going on long car trips or having to haul bikes or tons of crap like kid's dorm room stuff. The WRX is more fun to drive though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The Wrx is an affordable performance vehicle that can fit 4 of your buddies and some gear in the trunk. Gas mileage is decent if you stay off the gas(not anything to write home about but its decent). In my opinion I think leasing is a waste of money, a test drive would tell you all you need to know about a car. Yes the wrx will be a step down in comfort but when you are driving spirited around town you will probably forget all about how the trim on your dash looks. I would test the sti and wrx and see which one you prefer. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up a WRX three was ago myself. I'm coming from a 2010 Chevy HHR, so the 2015 WRX was a huge step up for me. I am used to the rougher ride quality since the HHR is a pretty rough riding car, but the WRX sense of feeling the road is insane. I used to slow down for roundabouts and interchanges. Now I have confidence that the car will hold on as I take those turns.

I have a 50 mile, one-way commute and the WRX hasn't been horrible over that distance. I also drive in some pretty fierce traffic at times, but I've not found the MT to tedious to handle. Gas milage has been a little better than my old HHR, so I'm actually stoked about it. I get to have a much more spirited drive to work, while actually using less fuel than my old car! Mixed 50/50 driving has been around 25 mpg while I'm getting around 32 on the hiway.

I've only ridden in an is300 once, but I can tell you the WRX has much stiffer suspension, so it won't ride as smooth. I don't remember the is300 being exceptionally smooth, but it's more in line with a Honda Accord or Mazda Mazda 6. The WRX is probably closer to the eclipse you owned.

I'm going to say I'm not a fan of leasing at all. I actually prefer to make a large down payment and finance no more than 30% of the sale price. Of course, my eventual goal is to outright pay for a car - but that can be very difficult.

As others have said, go test drive one to see if it is something you can live with as a daily driver. I moved forward on mine because I need a car that can seat a family of 4 and I've always wanted something fun to drive. I'm 41 and have always driven practical cars -- this is my first time to own something fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
OP if you want to come in and test drive one hit me up! The lease is really good on WRXs too, I wouldn't count it out. The rate is lower than the finance rate typically, and you can buy the car out at the end for a very reasonable residual value if you want. Shoot me a PM if you want to set up a drive and/or get a quote.
Clayton

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
Alas, no one can really answer the questions about how comfortable you will be in the car, or whether it's the car for you. Purely subjective stuff..The WRX I bought in 2002 was at the opposite end of a Lexus sedan in many ways. The interior was what we referred to as "Fisher Price", (cheap plastic knobs and materials), it had very few luxuries by modern standards. I loved it after the test drive because it felt "raw", quirky, the seats were the best I had ever sat in, and there was all of this crazy modification potential, already starting to become evident to a new crop of American buyers. You have to decide what it is that you're looking for in your next car!

Best of luck with the decision. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd say go test drive one....some places might let you keep it overnight. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Just know that they are not known for their luxury, audio system that absolutely sucks unless you get the upgraded one......and be prepared for a ride that will be harsher than your Lexus by a lot. With that having been said, they are very popular for a reason. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I came from an 07 Infiniti G35X and there is a comfort/nicety trade off but that went away after maybe the first 10 minutes after I drove my 2013 hatchback off the lot. I was offered a comprehensive extended warranty on top of the remainder factory so mine is good until either 2020 or 50k more miles. Fuel economy is better, it's less expensive to maintain and easier to work on. Mine is the premium trim so I at least was able to keep heated seats and here in Virginia it's really nice on those cold mornings.

I say go for it, I took the leap and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you for all the responses. I will have to get a test drive and see number comparing buying vs lease.

Lets see what changes are going to happen for the 2019 model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts