ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am going to upgrade to a vf22 and thinking if i should go fmic or tmic. i know tmic have heat soak and fmic let air travel through much better. however, the piping you see for the fmic once you pop the hood wouldn't be pleasant for the law. is this thing smog legal or even visually legal in the state of CA? I might just save the trouble and go with bigger tmic?

btw, will the txs v2 tmic fit under my Zerosports Replica Splitter?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
well I don't think the FMIC itself is illegal, and the VF22 may not be either, but the new fuel injectors and engine management you'll have to get to make it all work right will probably mess up your emissions.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
The only problem cops have with the FMIC is that there is an aftermarket intake attached to them. If a stock air box could be used, it would be cop friendly. PM 1WRX2NV on I-Club about this. He was pulled over for it, and all the cops were worried about it was because of the intake. Belive me, if I could somehow install a FMIC and use the stock air box, I would already have a FMIC on my car. I want the black APS FMIC soooooooo badly I can taste it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I remember a guy on an old board i used to be on saying he got pulled over in his 'teg for his front mount, but he had a CARB? sticker? or somnething, and said greddy was the only CARB legal FMIC for tegs. I don't know if its because they use the stock airbox or what, and I don't know what CARB is, but i thought i'd throw it out there in case it's any help
Scott

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
CALIFORNIA LAWS SUCK [email protected]!!!

I consider their stupid laws (no aftermarket parts, no cruising, etc.) communism and the day CT tells me any of that sh!t i'm going on a rampage......:mad:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WRXout said:
put it this way, if your putting a fmic your catless right, and have a bigger turbo? so what would make it so diffrent? :p
the different would be visual mods. most cops would not know if i am catless because they can't see my downpipe under my heatsheild.

·
Registered
218 Posts
AtlanticTurbo said:
, and I don't know what CARB is, but i thought i'd throw it out there in case it's any help
Scott
CARB- California Air Resources Board, basically the devil to automotive enthusiasts. They are responsible for the strictest emissions laws in the world.

·
Registered
553 Posts
GREDDY's stuff is CARB legal because im sure they have sent plenty of money to the environmentalists and anyone else concerned. trust me GREDDY stuff is not very differet from other good tuner parts, its all politics boys...just glad they dont do emissions up here in NH

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
"RISE FROM THE GRAVE!!!"

If the intake is their only excuse, then INJEN may have an answer... since their intakes are CARB legal and since they now make an intercooler for the WRX, it should be all good. So, given you have a CARB legal intake, I think passing smog should be more than possible! :wiggles:

If anyone cares to test this, please do and report on your findings! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most FMIC are not carb legal and anything that isnt carb legal you can not have in california.

Greddy does sell a lot of carb legal products but not for every car.

I have a Greddy FMIC for my GTI and there was a huge label on the box saying its illigal to use on public roads of california.

[Flame suit on]If you fmic isnt carb legal, you can just make some carb plaques ;) :wiggles: [/Flame suit on]

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
The Evo has a FMIC, so they must be legal (if carb certified of course).

·
Registered
50 Posts
A FMIC is more of a visual problem because it does not alter any emmisions.
My uncles got a gas station and ive talked to him bout smoging and mods.

The only thing you need to pass smog is a working cat and 02 sensors, everything else is a visual inspection.

·
Registered
553 Posts
the EVO is also FM from the factory as is the SRT-4, big difference. i wouldnt see how they could fail a car due to an intercooler since it has zero effect on emissions so long as the BOV still vents back to the intake, which is usually why most FM's fail. GREDDY's turbo kit for the Integra for example is carb legal but only in non IC'd form. because with the IC the BOV vents to the atmosphere.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,964 Posts
What the car spec'ed with is by definition CARB legal, since the car is sold as such in CA. However, changing the intake tract is *not* legal. Unless the intercooler has a CARB cert, it is therefore *not* legal.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Well, lets say the intake used is CARB legal and the stock bypass valve is set to recirculate like stock. In this case, the only factor left is the front mount intercooler passing visual since the car is able to pass emissions. (assuming its equipped with all cats just for the sake of the arguement)

I would really like to understand WHY a car wouldnt pass with this set-up. I emailed INJEN and am awaiting to hear what they have to say. Hope someone intelligent is on the other side of the computer.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,964 Posts
I see your point. The visual would be sticky though. Think of it this way: we're talking about the difference between anything not permitted being banned vs. anything not banned being permitted. In CA the former is true when it comes to modifying smog-related equipment (like the intake tract).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts