Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i plan on modding my 2011 wrx to get past the 300 whp marker. for now i plan to add a access port, spt intake (debating on brand), cobb downpipe, and spt exhaust. Question is will 300 hp be to small of a goal with these parts? should i make my goal to reach higher than 300hp, maybe to 350? tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
why get the accessport? buy the downpipe and get a protune instead of the accessport tune. you will definitely make more whp and depending on your local tuners pricing may be cheaper

·
Registered
996 Posts
Your goal is exactly that, yours. If you want 300hp, you can get there, if you want 350, you can get there too. If you are trying to find out what those mods will get you, according to COBB's website, you'll be at about 265whp I think. A custom tune will get you a lot closer than an Accessport will but it might take a little more $ to get over 300 and quite a bit more to get to 350

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
The difference between 300whp and 350whp is considerably greater than the difference between 250whp and 300whp, both in terms of cost, and sacrifice to reliability. (unless you're planning on running e85)

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
well i still plan on keeping this as my daily driver so i would think the access port will help me make power and simultaneously keep it reliable enough to be driven everyday
A half decent protune will not only net more power, it will be a tune specific to YOUR vehicle, not every sooby out there. This not only nets power, but it will verify your car resonds well to the tune, and hence be safer.

Just find a good tuner. Buy him/her beer. And dinner. And get on your knees for him. It'll pay off... Your engine will thank you =).

·
Registered
996 Posts
well i still plan on keeping this as my daily driver so i would think the access port will help me make power and simultaneously keep it reliable enough to be driven everyday
That's highly debatable. A good tuner can get you more power and be just as reliable, if not more. If I had to do it over, I would have skipped the Accessport I think, although I'm very happy with it.

·
U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID)
621 Posts
My tuner does custom AP tunes...so having a Cobb AP worked out for me!
I actually see that Ptuning does custom AP tunes, so I will also be golden.. and having seen their quality with the Scion community, I expect nothing less if I were to take my business there.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
My tuner does custom AP tunes...so having a Cobb AP worked out for me!

That's all good.. but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to pay for an AP and a tune when you could just pay for a tune. Although if you're changing maps frequently I can see how it would come in handy. There are times I wonder how safe it is to be carrying my laptop with me for changing maps. Then again, if my car did get robbed it would still be cheaper to replace the laptop than an AP.

Of course if I had bought an AP before opensource came to fruition I might still be using it.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
MainFrame said:
That's all good.. but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to pay for an AP and a tune when you could just pay for a tune.
Most shops will tune either, but some tuners may be more comfortable tuning with the Cobb software. If you're going to spend money on a tune, why wouldn't you want them to tune with what they have they are most confident with?

Stu_Gotti said:
I actually see that Ptuning does custom AP tunes, so I will also be golden.. and having seen their quality with the Scion community, I expect nothing less if I were to take my business there.
Just because they're good with Scions, doesn't mean they'll be good with Subarus ;)

Feel free to go to who you'd like, but if it were me, I'd want a shop that focuses on the car model I have. I haven't heard much in regard to their work with Subarus. If you're looking for a tuner in that area, I'd go with Phil @ Element Tuning (I saw a thread on Nasioc recently where he did a reflash on a newer STI).

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Most shops will tune either, but some tuners may be more comfortable tuning with the Cobb software. If you're going to spend money on a tune, why wouldn't you want them to tune with what they have they are most confident with?

Very true.. if the tuner prefers using the AP then it might be worth the money. Most of the tuners I have talked to prefer opensource tho.. except for the guys that work at Cobb.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So what do you guys do when you have an OS tune for 93 octane done by a tuner, and can't buy any where you went for a holiday? I just put an 91 octane RT map on with the AP until I can fill up with 93... I don't need to drive like a grandma either until then...

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
So what do you guys do when you have an OS tune for 93 octane done by a tuner, and can't buy any where you went for a holiday? I just put an 91 octane RT map on with the AP until I can fill up with 93... I don't need to drive like a grandma either until then...

Well, for one if I did have an AP I wouldn't be able to use the 91 octane map that came with it, I would have to pay for a 91 octane tune, as well as my 93 octane and e85 maps.

I guess the way your question would apply to me would be if I'm running on e85 and I find myself in a place where I can't buy any e85. In that situation I plug my laptop into the USB port in my console and flash my 93 octane map. If I actually ended up somewhere that only had 91 octane then I would datalog, look for anywhere that my knock correction advance dropped below 10 degrees, and edit the map accordingly. Then I would flash that map to my ECU.

What would YOU do if you were driving somewhere and the only available gas was 87 octane? :p

·
Registered
663 Posts
What would YOU do if you were driving somewhere and the only available gas was 87 octane? :p
I would put on a 91 octane ANC RT map and drive like a grandma... :tongue: But at least I could do something... with the AP to get a tune that comes closer to the gas I could buy and that is the main reason I think the AP is worth it for the 90% of us that can't tune our own cars. If I drove 500 Miles and got an OS tune yes the tune would be better maybe even cheaper, than an OTS map and AP from COBB but when I have to fill up on the way home and have to buy 91 or 87 gas what do I do then? :eek: I would have to keep on running the 93 octane map as I would have no way of changing it...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts