ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this seems retorical, but what are my options other than FM transmitters for a direct connection to the factory head unit???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Unfortunately none :( I think the only one would be to somehow hardwire it into the headunit in place of the cd player. I htink I remember seeing something like that over on the legacy forums where they did that and just had to play a blank cd.

I'd like to see some responses to this thread too though because I just got an ipod and would lie to use it too, but I think I am just going to go ahead and get a headunit, but its just too expensive (because I want to kenwood dvd player since its the only one taht actually looks good in the wrx, no other decent looking double-din receivers out) and I rather save that money for something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
it may be a little pricey but you can purchase an alpine head unit and then purchase the alpine ipod interface which hooks up to the cd changer controls right off the deck. If you do it that way you will have no loss of sound quality and you will be able to browse through the ipod without ever touching it.
 

·
Peachypumpkincheeks
Joined
·
8,621 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
I asked my dad to inquire a bit since he works for a subaru dealership. He told me that a sales man said subaru was going to release something for the next year (07) and it will not work in previous model year cars.... but everyone knows that salesmen are full of sh!t.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I have the Alpine CDA-9855 headunit, which is one of the more expensives models, and purchased the ipod interface adapter. All the Alpine models that are Ai-Net compatible will support the interface adapter and allow you to play the ipod through your headunit, not having to touch the ipod at all. With the Alpine headunits that aren't Ai-Net compatible, an accessory can be purchased that plugs into the back, which allows you to play the ipod through the headunit. The interface adapter runs about 100 dollars, and headunits can run fairly affordable. I love my set up, worth every penny. Now i don't have to worry about cds and such

Heres the interface: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
cpnwrx13 said:
I have the Alpine CDA-9855 headunit, which is one of the more expensives models, and purchased the ipod interface adapter. All the Alpine models that are Ai-Net compatible will support the interface adapter and allow you to play the ipod through your headunit, not having to touch the ipod at all. With the Alpine headunits that aren't Ai-Net compatible, an accessory can be purchased that plugs into the back, which allows you to play the ipod through the headunit. The interface adapter runs about 100 dollars, and headunits can run fairly affordable. I love my set up, worth every penny. Now i don't have to worry about cds and such

Heres the interface: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm

About how much was your entire alpine setup including the ipod adapters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
My entire sound system ran me about 2200 dollars. My headunit was about 500 dollars, type x speakers were about 200, 2 12" type r subs were about 500. My amps are sony and plus the cap and interface adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
I dont remember where I saw it, but someone hardwire an aux plug into the stock headunit and mounted it in the dash. that is antoher option, but you have to open up your radio and solder some wires, which isnt too hard, but pretty risky if you dont know what your doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
felo3769 said:
I dont remember where I saw it, but someone hardwire an aux plug into the stock headunit and mounted it in the dash. that is antoher option, but you have to open up your radio and solder some wires, which isnt too hard, but pretty risky if you dont know what your doing.


Anyone have more info on this?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
screen that fits indash

hey i have an 05 wrx and i was wondering if i can get a screen that will fit in where the stock head unit is. Can the screen be a head unit too? cause the only ones that i know that can do that are the flip up ones, and those cost a fortune!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
but someone hardwire an aux plug into the stock headunit and mounted it in the dash.
DJSHADOW7 said:
Anyone have more info on this?????
No way on a wrx, I went to three different audio shops and they all said no way no how to adding an aux to the stock head unit.

disclaimer: I have an 06. That said, I'm pretty sure its the same deal on previous my's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
jeffbmx00 said:
hey i have an 05 wrx and i was wondering if i can get a screen that will fit in where the stock head unit is. Can the screen be a head unit too? cause the only ones that i know that can do that are the flip up ones, and those cost a fortune!
they all cost a fortune. one popular one is a pioneer avic-d1, which looks sick in a wrx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
protocol0 said:
No way on a wrx, I went to three different audio shops and they all said no way no how to adding an aux to the stock head unit.

disclaimer: I have an 06. That said, I'm pretty sure its the same deal on previous my's

I'll try to find the thread. Not sure if it was on this forum, but I remember seeing it. It might have been a legacy, but I'd guess it would be pretty similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Cheapest alternative, best reception, best upside (you still have a mp3/cd player)
Get any kenwood mpv series cd player
Then get this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yOeg22dM33a/popups/accessory.asp?i=113CAC1AX

or

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fstype=1&from=R10&catref=C6&satitle=Kenwood+CA-C1AUX&sacat=-1&catref=C6&bs=Search&fsop=3&fsoo=1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=60462&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

It's a direct line into the head unit through the back...I can show pictures of how it's wired if you want.

Perfect connection though, it's hard wired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
:redface: I don't care for the aftermarket headunit look....

Sucks that the stock unit has no ipod potential.... i wish my 05 had a tape player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
My dad's got one of these and it works fairly well for an FM transmitter. The only prob is i have a radar detector and its currently using the only outlet. :redface:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
ah, I just said the hell with trying to figure it out and bought a new headunit (plus, I already have a sub, 2 amps and upgraded speakers so I might as well, but I still like the way the stock one look, but this headunit was cheap and it has 3 preamps and an auxiliary input which is all that I needed.

So im just going to get one of these, sicne it chargers the ipod and it has an auxiliary output as well.



Im going to unmount the cigarette lighter and leave it in the back so that I dont have the charger or anywires sticking out. I might make a custom mount for the ipod too, either something from the cubby that I will ahve now, or somethign that springs out when you open up to access the ashtray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Is there a write up for how to unmount the cig lighter and directly feed it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Worry no more, there is a way to hook your ipod up to the stock HU on the 06 or any year WRX. There is really only one way to hook it up and that's through aux. The stock HU doesnt have aux ports, but there is a way to create them with a device called an FM Modulator.

It's not am FM Transmitter. The modulator is actually wired to your antenna. When you want to use the aux ports, there is a switch that disconnects the cars antenna and switches it to the aux rca ports, so there is no outside interference. No static or cutting in and out of other radio stations that you get with an FM Transmitter.

The one I have is the Audiovox FMM100 A. It's 50 dollars at circuit city. It's not as expensive as buying a new HU, but it's still kinda pricy. I think I saw one on crutchfield.com for 30 bucks. If you get the audiovox, you will also need to buy an RCA to headphone jack cable(a few dollars at radio shack). The Scosche comes with that cable.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audiovox-FM-Modulator-FMM100A-/sem/rpsm/oid/80974/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P9t81xhDK9L/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=modulator&i=142FMMOD01


I hope this info helps everyone. I know i was very dissapointed when i got my 06 wrx and everyone told me that there was no way to hook up an ipod except a new HU or an FM transmitter. I tried the Griffin iTrip and returned it the next day. I live in the Bay area and there are so many radio stations, I couldnt find a frequency that the iTrip would work on. And when I did find one, I had to hold my ipod up against the HU for it to work. It's kind of a bull**** product, but I guess it might work good in an area with few radio stations.
 
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Top