ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time poster long time reader. Just got my first WRX (MY18 Premium) last week and I am loving it.

It isn't perfect however, and the exhaust sound is one of the first things I want to tackle. For me right now, it's just way too quiet and non-aggressive.

For now, I am going to bolt on a catback myself (with a Stage 1 tune) and then add a j-pipe (not sure if I will go catted or catless) later down the track when I get around to a Stage 2 pro-tune.

I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Invidia R400 and Invidia N1 (dual exit) for the FA20 engine and how they compare/sound? I've done tons on research on exhausts and pretty much landed on the R400 as the way to go, but I do want to get as deep and aggressive tones as possible. There's not many examples of the N1 on this car, versus the R400 available online.

Anyone have any experiences to offer? Would the N1 be the loudest/deepest? Does it sound good with the FA20?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
I can tell you the n1 on anything sounds like poverty. Its got the cut off muffler glass pack sound.

Of those choices the r400 is the superior choice.

In the future you should be going catted, there is zero reason to go catless as the gains from it are only slight. The fa20f responds better to changes on the cold side of the turbo with egr and tgvs making a good impact to the car.

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
This is a personal choice. NO ONE ELSE can make the decision for you.

Do you like the stock exhaust? I do. See?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a personal choice. NO ONE ELSE can make the decision for you.

Do you like the stock exhaust? I do. See?
Yeah cheers for stating what is blatantly obvious mate.

I’m trying to get real life perspectives on the differences between the two, since I can’t find direct comparisons online and I don’t have the luxury of hearing both in person - so that I can then make that decision myself.

I didn’t ask for someone to make a choice for me, I’m asking for help making my own choice. Thought that was pretty self explanatory. Congrats on liking the stock exhaust. Now, got any perspective / advice to offer on the differences of the N1 vs R400 in terms of tone/loudness (like I originally requested in the OP) specifically on the FA20, or you just here to waste my time?

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
What do you want? Loud and obnoxious? The N1 is not deep, in fact the louder the exhaust the less deep the tone usually.

The N1 will sound like a glass pack on a Honda.

If you want low low you will want more displacement, say a 7l engine and a baffled muffler like a flowmaster. Otherwise you are not getting any lower than stock. Just louder and a ton of drone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you want? Loud and obnoxious? The N1 is not deep, in fact the louder the exhaust the less deep the tone usually.

The N1 will sound like a glass pack on a Honda.

If you want low low you will want more displacement, say a 7l engine and a baffled muffler like a flowmaster. Otherwise you are not getting any lower than stock. Just louder and a ton of drone.
I would not say I’m after ‘obnoxious’ but I definitely want loud. Or at least much louder than what is currently the stock exhaust.

In saying that, the most important attribute to me would be the deeper tone, providing an overall beefier aggressive tone to the exhaust.

This is where I’d be willing to compromise on loudness a bit, though because I’m after the tone I mentioned above, I still want it to be loud enough to be able to enjoy say inside of the cabin.

So far opinions of the N1 are not great. How does the R400 compare?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey man, (first post)

Im building my Stage 2 and opted for the N1 myself. I cant tell you how many videos I watched from Cobb, Tomei, Maperformance, Grimmspeed, etc searching for the right “tone”. With the FA20’s we’ll never have that true rumble so my thing was how close can I get? Its my dd, wont be tracked and I feel like the N1 has the deepest tone at low rpms and opens up in the higher range.

This is the tone Im going for. By far one of the best/deepest tones Ive heard but maybe my ears are shot? I did spend weeks scouring youtube lmao

If I dont like the N1, Ill pry sell it and get the R400. I know the dual cannon look of the N1 isnt favorable among most, but I like the sound, dont mind the look as I wanted to be a bit different than other WRX’s, and thats all that matters. The best part about modding is the ability to change it. Do the best research you can and pull the trigger. If it doesnt work, sell what you gave and level up.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey man, (first post)

Im building my Stage 2 and opted for the N1 myself. I cant tell you how many videos I watched from Cobb, Tomei, Maperformance, Grimmspeed, etc searching for the right “tone”. With the FA20’s we’ll never have that true rumble so my thing was how close can I get? Its my dd, wont be tracked and I feel like the N1 has the deepest tone at low rpms and opens up in the higher range.

This is the tone Im going for. By far one of the best/deepest tones Ive heard but maybe my ears are shot? I did spend weeks scouring youtube lmao

If I dont like the N1, Ill pry sell it and get the R400. I know the dual cannon look of the N1 isnt favorable among most, but I like the sound, dont mind the look as I wanted to be a bit different than other WRX’s, and thats all that matters. The best part about modding is the ability to change it. Do the best research you can and pull the trigger. If it doesnt work, sell what you gave and level up.

Good luck man!
hey man! It sounds like we are after the the same thing here!

ive just found a ton of videos on YouTube with the N1 and the WRX and I gotta say, to me it sounds way better than the R400. It seems to sound more aggressive and even in some videos brings back a slight classic subie rumble.

I am almost sold on the N1 I reckon!

here’s a couple decent video examples I found:

I think unfortunately though, the FA is just really not a good sounding engine. I feel like I’m gonna be disappointed with any exhaust on this engine :(

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts

ive just found a ton of videos on YouTube with the N1 and the WRX and I gotta say, to me it sounds way better than the R400. It seems to sound more aggressive and even in some videos brings back a slight classic subie rumble.

I think unfortunately though, the FA is just really not a good sounding engine. I feel like I’m gonna be disappointed with any exhaust on this engine :(
It sounds exactly the same as any 4cyl engine with equal length headers. So Honda, Toyota, vw, fiat, ford, Chevy, yadda yadda yadda.

Before you get that I want you to imagine what a riced out civic sounds like, you are going to sound just like that with an N1 exhaust. If you like it, whatever. Just know it's wake the neighbors loud and drone is wicked bad.

If you want an honest opinion Corsa is the best exhaust available on Subaru platforms. It smooths out the fart in a ton can sound and is quiet enough to be heard, but not to annoy the neighbors. Until you stand on it. At that point it's a fire breathing sound with none of the tin can sound. It's the closest you'll get to "lower exhaust note" with out a cammed bigblock

·
Registered
5 Posts

I think unfortunately though, the FA is just really not a good sounding engine. I feel like I’m gonna

I think unfortunately , the FA is just really not a good sounding engine. I feel like I’m gonna be disappointed with any exhaust on this engine :(

I think the main thing for the 2015+ is to realize we’ll never have that true subie rumble. I know, its one of the best things about the EJ motor platforms but it is what it is. As mentioned in previous post, Corsa isnt bad, neither is Cobb or Grimmspeed for that matter. Ive listened to them all before I made my decision and again went with the N1. At a certain point with these FA’s they all seem to have a higher pitch and being that I wont track my car I wanted the lowest tone for dd. I could be wrong and it may end up not being what I want but we cant really know how it will sound on your personal set up until you do it.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
The Subaru rumble was one of the worst things because of the uneven exhaust scavenging that can lead to uneven cylinder temps. I believe it's a solid reason why everyone has failures on the same cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Subaru rumble was one of the worst things because of the uneven exhaust scavenging that can lead to uneven cylinder temps. I believe it's a solid reason why everyone has failures on the same cylinder.

Yea, theres all sorts of issues with that platform schematically. I was strictly speaking on the sound. You can always tell the EJ motors, much like you can tell a nice exhaust on a Mustang GT, Dodge Challenger, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my opinion, they are extremely similar in tone however the dual tip is slightly “louder” than the quad-tip exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts