ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
located between the O2 sensor and where the DP bolts to the transmission bracket, the top side of the pipe rubs against the black support bracket underneath the car(it was fine on jack stands, but then the brace kind of "settled" itself onto the pipe when I lowered it). I tried loosening the trans bracket bolt, pushing the downpipe out of the way to clear the brace, and then bolting the trans bracket bolt in again really fast.. i think it clears about 1mm now.. but wont hold for long. anyone else have this problem? or is it even a problem?

this is the first time I've done anything to a car... I spent 30 minutes getting one of the spring bolts off the dp-to-cat bracket last night, what a pain considering I had about 6 inches of space to work with. install was cake after that.

another question though.. i know its asked a lot, cause I've read about 100 posts while searching... but whenever I'm in high RPMs, then shift and my RPMs drop, I get a low tumbling sound like rocks scrapping the underside of a boat (if ya know whadamean?) Seems to be coming from front, but also though it might be the DP rubbing against that brace.

Any comments? thanks...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Your DP shouldn't be rubbing at all. I have the Invidia DP and it fits perfect. What exhaust did you mate it to? I'm thinking this may be an issue with the way the DP is mating to the catback. If it's mated to the stock Catback then that may be your problem. The stock catback uses a donut gasket to seal the two pipes together and the invidia uses a flat gasket. I can't believe the pipe would be defective considered Invidia does everything by machine. Pipes are mandrel bent and tig welded all by a computer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it is bolted to the stock cat-back. I didnt think this would be a problem..

They mated up fine, but the tension is probably causing the pipe to pull up towards the underside of the car.

Problem is I dont think I have that rubber thing. I'm finding out now, a little late, that this car must have been modified before I got it. Some of the bolts/nuts were mismatched when I was uninstalling, most likely from the previous owner hasilty putting it back to stock. I'll post pics sometime, they did a ghetto job. Im assuming thats why i have (most likely) an uppipe leak

:mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem isnt with the cat-back hooking up.. In fact, not using the donut kind of helps prevent the DP rubbing against the brace.

I messed with the transmission mount bracket bolt a bit, and with a little ingenuity I got the DP to rest a little lower now. It still rubs, but only if I'm going downhill or downshift bigtime.

It was almost constant before, now its 90% gone.

This invidia downpipe is the one with the cast bellmouth, not the mandrel bent stainless steel mouth, maybe theres a difference? or this is the reason they're cheaper?

anyway.. im happy for now.. besides the fact I haven't noticed any gains really ( need to reset ECU?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts