ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just found this forum a few days ago and decided to post. I am thinking of getting a WRX and have been toiling over the auto vs manual question. I can drive manual reasonably well but I dread the thought of driving in traffic. I am a country boy who will be moving to the city and I don't like traffic anyway and the thought of driving manual in it makes my stoumach turn. Yeah I am probably just a big baby but oh well. Anyway, enough with the intro and on to my questions.

How happy are you guys with your car?
Do you wish you got a manual instead?
Also compared to what else you have driven how does your car feel in terms of handling, and acceleration?
Whats the potential of this car with only light mods?

I have some doubts about getting the auto because I do want a quick fun car to drive. I am not a racer by any means and I just don't see me racing at too many stoplights. I am not saying it won't happen but I won't go around looking for it.

I will probably mod some but nothing major. The more I think about it the less I think it is likely that I would put on a torque converter or any other tranny upgrades and I probably will only do some basic mods. For example exhaust (possibly turbo back with one high flow cat, uppipe, and maybe some other little cheaper mods. 3/16 maybe although I am not sure what that is yet but I will read up on it. The main reason I will not do a lot of mods is becasue I won't have access to the tools. I am confident in my ability to do them because I have experience working on farm tractors, but if I go to the city I won't have the place to work on them.

I have also heard a BOV is essentially useless on an auto car so I don't know if I would do that. I like the sound but I don't want to put one on if it will be pointless. what are your thoughts?

Anyway, thats it for now. Sorry about the length. I am excited that there is a forum dedicate to auto trannys. I don't think any other car forums have that. I hope I will be joining you guys as Auto WRX owners pretty quickly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
hey, welcome here...i am happy with my car, i just wish it had more power before turbo kicked in, i hate to rev it past 3500 unless i need to. i couldnt get a manual because my parents wouldnt let me, but even with SD traffic, i wish i got one, and its faster. acceleration is good, but i still think my 98 v6 camry is faster from a roll. websites that have info on both cars say it isnt, but maybe its all the low rpm power the camry has. it handles real well, but to get a true feeling, your going to need new tires, stock ones SUCK!!! you can get cobb AP, or something else, and get an UP/DP, and i believe you will be over 200 whp. so thats basically 1 grand. GL with your purchase.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
nice to meet your acquantince

How happy are you guys with your car?
YES
Do you wish you got a manual instead?
SOMETIMES
Also compared to what else you have driven how does your car feel in terms of handling, and acceleration?
not good stock but well when you do upgrades
Whats the potential of this car with only light mods?
dunno :X

the bov is needed if your going to get tuned at 18psi or more.....thats whyi have it i wish i had standard jsut to hear the bov during shifts but thats about it hehe

look at my mods list to see what you can do to this sucka
if you want to get launches you need a upgraded TC with standard all you gotta worry about is breaking gears

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
No, I am not sorry I got an auto. It is slower than the 5MT, but that is mainly because of it's inability to launch at full boost. Things balance out with mods.

The potential of this car with light mods is substantial. The car is being CHOKED with catalytic converters, and clearing them out (or clearing out two and replacing one with a high flow cat) and adding engine managment will virtually eliminate turbo lag and give you 300 HP at the crank. Not bad for well under 2 grand.

Best of luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
495 Posts
and we don't have to worry about replacing clutches all the time, or the dreaded glass tranny, from what I have heard. I came from a v-8 and I am still very happy with it. BUT I think I would have trouble racing my mom's m45, that thing hauls balls! 345hp v-8, why my mom needs that beats the **** out of me, LOL! I say go for it. I agree with WRXout, the only reason I wish I had the 5MT is so that I could hear the BOV in between shifts, and maybe the gas mileage, guys, I am down to 15.77 MPG, I need to lay off the BOOST huh?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I live in the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" world.

Take the MT and 4eat wrx's, STI, Forester, and turbo legacy for test drives. I keep changing my mind as to which one I would get.

With respect to manual versus auto, well, if you get the auto, I would plan an engine managment (EM) and freeing up the exhaust. These mods will affect your warranties on related items. But the EM should smooth out the throttle response.

When I bought my wrx, I got the auto because the price was right (0% interest), my girlfriend and friends can drive it, all wheel drive, cruise control, more inside space than my Chevy S-10, etc.

I really don't care about a blow off valve. If it was important for me to hear one, I would go to a WRX meet or make sound clips and play them in the CD player.

In terms of handling, you'll need to try the wagons and sedan options. I have the wagon and like it (thanks to the rear adjustable sway bar). The Sedan's perform better in the tests.

In all seriousness, base your decision on your test drive. If I was car shopping, I would look at the all wheel drive BMW's as well.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Dude you can just buy my car! I love it, but when I originally bought it I really really wanted a manual. Of course the wife needed to drive it too, so I ended up with the auto. Now it's been almost 2 years, and I can afford to go bigger, so I'm getting the new evo MR in a few months.

I've got very minimal mods on it, and it pulls very nicely. Stock, you will hate the turbo lag, and you'll get used to it being sporty, but not exactly quick. With the removal of the cats, you'll get almost instant power, reducing your turbo lag tremendously. And who cares if its an auto. I've beat those 5MT guys many times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eatwrx said:

In all seriousness, base your decision on your test drive. If I was car shopping, I would look at the all wheel drive BMW's as well.
Obviously a test drive is what will make or break it for me. The problem is none of the dealers with in 100 miles of me has an auto in stock. Plus they say they have no plans of getting any and will not order one unless I am 100% sure I will buy it. I told the guy that there was no way I could be 100% sure. If I drove it and hated the car why would I buy it?

How much are those BMWs? I am wanting to stay in the mid 20s for my price. If I go any higher I am getting an EVO no questions asked. I will deal with the manual transmission in one of those.

Thanks alot guys for all your input. I am starting to feel more confident about buying the auto.

By the way WRX your car sounds like it is awsome. If I can run a 13.9 in my car with an auto someday I will be totally satisfied with it and there would be no doubt that I made the right choice of getting an auto.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The BMW's are probably 30k plus.

What area are you in? If you were in the Anchorage Ak area, I'd give you a ride in the wagon and probably let you test drive it as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eatwrx said:
The BMW's are probably 30k plus.

What area are you in? If you were in the Anchorage Ak area, I'd give you a ride in the wagon and probably let you test drive it as well.
HAHA, no I am no where near AK. Funny though two of my friends are on your news station. KTVA I think. Angela Hutti and Bret Sheppard. I went to college with both of them.

I live in west central ILLinois, Pittsfield to be exact. I am not sure how far away that is from you WRX

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wish I knew what a stock WRX 4EAT felt like. . .
Mine came with a protorque torque converter so it'll get going nice and quickly. After the new TC most 4EATs are just as fast as the 5MT from what I have read.

Off to go fix the leaking tranny . . .

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
GTScoob said:
Mine came with a protorque torque converter so it'll get going nice and quickly. After the new TC most 4EATs are just as fast as the 5MT from what I have read.

whys your tranny leaking? :eek:

·
Registered
217 Posts
GTScoob said:

What other toys did you get with your ride?

·
Registered
677 Posts
it was just a loose bolt in the transmission. I need a transmission cooler because the dealership took it off of the car when the previous owner traded it in.

Other toys: Stage 4 with APS stuff. My car was previously owned by PadreWRX on NASIOC. He traded it in on a new GTO and it is sick. Last I heard he was doing 400HP/400lb-ft to the ground with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive flip-flopped several times.... Some days I love not worrying about shifting in traffic... Others I wish I had the launching capability of a manual, and the overall control.... I would say that today I would prolly get a manual, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt regret it sometimes. Do what is best for your situation bro...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts