Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am new here and having some issues with my recently purchased 2008 2.5 L turbo charged WRX STi hatchback.

I am having an intermittent electrical issue which causes the car to turn off the stereo, dim the headlights, temporarily puts up dash warning lights, and temporarily loses speedometer input. The stereo issue happens most frequently without the other issues but sometime has all of the above happen. The dash lights that show up are airbag, hill start assist, T/C, and one other. The dash warnings light promptly turn off. One time I also had the above symptoms and the dash lights stayed on and the car wouldn't accelerate (the tac was fluctuating up and down when I depressed the accelerator). To stop this I turned the car off and on again and the issue stopped.

I have replaced the battery, the alternator (with an OEM alternator), and checked the engine grounding wires.

Has anyone seen these symptoms or had this issue before?

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Have you checked for any codes that may be stored from the faults?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked for codes using my Cobb Access port and nothing shows up. Also the mechanic at a private shop didn't see any. He said he was using a Subaru code reader.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
I have checked for codes using my Cobb Access port and nothing shows up. Also the mechanic at a private shop didn't see any. He said he was using a Subaru code reader.
I'm not 100%. My expierence with similar issues usually wind up being grounding, battery, or alternator related. There is the possibility of a bad or failing ecu. I've heard that can cause all levels of odd behavior, ghost codes, and poor running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not 100%. My expierence with similar issues usually wind up being grounding, battery, or alternator related. There is the possibility of a bad or failing ecu. I've heard that can cause all levels of odd behavior, ghost codes, and poor running.

Thank you XJman. Have you heard of this issue happening often?

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Yes, it has the OEM navigation package. This includes a ~6.5" touch screen display.
OK, I had asked because it sounded like if someone had replaced the stereo, some wire may have been misplaced and shorting out. I have seen on other cars where a loose hot wire causes the instrument cluster to do exactly as you described. I also saw that with a ignition key switch happen where someone had modified the wiring harness and one of the wires came loose making intermittent contact with other wires in the connector...............wasn't me........or was it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha.

Thanks. I will take a look for any possible loose wires. A loose ignition wire could cause issues with the dash lights and the vehicle running?

·
1,612 Posts
Haha.
Thanks. I will take a look for any possible loose wires. A loose ignition wire could cause issues with the dash lights and the vehicle running?
Oh yes. lights come on as a 'self-test' when you turn the switch. everything (almost) goes through the ignition switch.

·
1,612 Posts
Not sure. I could only guess the ones coming on for the self-tests are not typically on otherwise or have no way the operator can turn them on to check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts