Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone's advice on cleaning funk out of an interior? I try to avoid excessive use of steam cleaners as over time it breaks down the foam in my experience.

Is it my only option for a good clean? Any advice to keep it from getting musty in the winter? It's tough to dry it out when it's 30ish outside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I actually have a ton of experience in this field with all the funky trade ins we get.

For the dash, a damp microfiber and wipe down is all you need, same for all the plastic areas pretty much. Get a detail brush (or small clean paintbrush, I also use this for getting wax off tough areas like around emblems and windshield squirters) for crevices, or even better, get this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Gulu-Keyboard-Cleaner-Computer-Flexible/dp/B00FQGODKQ

As for the deep clean of the carpets, shampoo it with 5 to 1 warm water and simple green with a bristle brush. Towel dry and run car with the heat on fresh with the windows up for a couple hours to dry it out.

After that, pick up a closet size damp rid and leave that in the car, they are amazing, you'll be surprised how much water ends up in the bag!:
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-Hang...=UTF8&qid=1517090137&sr=1-3&keywords=damp+rid

Guessing you might have some pet hair based on your avatar, pick one of these up:
https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Remov...sr=1-7&keywords=rubber+pet+hair+remover+brush

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks going to give that a shot next weekend hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Do you have a wet / dry vac? Use that to suck up the SG solution in the carpet.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a good one. I typically use my carpet shampooer and just vacuum

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Simple green won't hurt anything right? I used to soak RC car tires in it to break down the rubber and make it tacky.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Simple Green has worked well in my engine bay for years.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I've just never used it outside of industrial cleaning at work.

I got the dry packs and just hung one in there. I picked up some simple green and a brush as well. Hopefully I can find replacement seat upholstery, I've already got the new seat foam.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Simple green won't hurt anything right? I used to soak RC car tires in it to break down the rubber and make it tacky.

As long as you're using it 5 parts water 1 part SG you'll be fine. I wouldnt use it straight it might react with something badly.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Great thread! Clayton's comments about using small brushes made me laugh at myself...I keep a "dash duster" (like you'd get at Walmart) and a 1 inch paint brush in my glovebox. At stoplights, I've been known to break them out and get the big stuff off the dash and dust out of the small areas, respectively. Hey, if you manage it over the short term, it never builds up...

Reactions: Squigglyf4ce

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ok, I've just never used it outside of industrial cleaning at work.

I got the dry packs and just hung one in there. I picked up some simple green and a brush as well. Hopefully I can find replacement seat upholstery, I've already got the new seat foam.

I dont know if it would be prohibitively expensive, but I'm pretty sure you can order new seat skins from a dealer parts dept and I think they zip off and on.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's my last place I'll look. I'd prefer not to pay Chrysler prices. The rest of the interior is fine in general just has farm truck smell. Scrubbing it and using a shampooer is hopefully going to help.

That's the seat skin that needs replaced. The guy who owned it was probably 5'5 and just slid out wearing it away. I've found higher density seat cushions, just not a better cover. There are a few places that will do custom work and I may opt for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts