Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this mod (intercooler water spray)? Is it more for larger turbos or will it work just them same for stock turbo?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
zronin said:
Has anybody tried this mod (intercooler water spray)? Is it more for larger turbos or will it work just them same for stock turbo?
I believe that it's just not worth it, unless you have major upgrades, and even then I don't think I'd do it. I'd rather spend my money on other, more "useful" mods.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know but doesn't the STi come w/one. Also it is included in Cobb's club spec kit.

·
895 Posts
if you think about it, the IC water spray thing might sound like a good idea, but it doenst actually decrease the temp by a significant amount, much less than whatever you're paying for it at least. i'd show you the graphs of it, but i lost the webpage for it

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you live in the desert where the summer time temps can reach 110 degs. with the sun down and the humidity is as low as 5% the fogger can make a differance. I wouldn't pay more then $50 for a system any High Schooler could assemble. I think the rule of thumb is 1% gain for every 10 deg. temp drop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Water spray works. It's as simple as that. Evo and STi come with. Now if it costs ~$300 for a nice 'auto' setup then you may or may not be ready for it. But it's a nice alternative to upgrading the I/C. And yes, it will help dramatically in hotter temps.

G

·
Dude, this thread is 7 yrs old....
Yup, I can read. Where does it say you're not allowed to bump ancient threads?

Maybe it rubs guys like you the wrong way, but that's about it. Sometimes I do it rather than creating a new thread which would annoy you just as much.

Which would you rather have?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,637 Posts
OK well then I'll respond: stop/go traffic won't see a benefit since, by definition, it's stop/go traffic. I can't picture a scenario where the car is in boost under those conditions anyway.

A benefit might be seen if one were to find a clearing after stop/go traffic and want to accelerate away briskly, but there are other solutions too that are cheaper (see Blarg's "tilted TMIC" solution for example; washers and bolts are all that's needed). I like the idea of spray as an idea and I'd not tear it off my car, but I've not seen the need for it even in SoCal so far since, well, I drive in traffic.

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
Yup, I can read. Where does it say you're not allowed to bump ancient threads?

Maybe it rubs guys like you the wrong way, but that's about it. Sometimes I do it rather than creating a new thread which would annoy you just as much.

Which would you rather have?
No, what it was is you bumped a 7 yr old thread to argue with someone. Someone who hasn't logged on in years.

G

·
OK well then I'll respond: stop/go traffic won't see a benefit since, by definition, it's stop/go traffic. I can't picture a scenario where the car is in boost under those conditions anyway.

A benefit might be seen if one were to find a clearing after stop/go traffic and want to accelerate away briskly, but there are other solutions too that are cheaper (see Blarg's "tilted TMIC" solution for example; washers and bolts are all that's needed). I like the idea of spray as an idea and I'd not tear it off my car, but I've not seen the need for it even in SoCal so far since, well, I drive in traffic.

I see your point and I guess you're right, in rush hour traffic you wouldn't be accelerating very fast and getting into boost anyways.

I have seen some numbers on it though, depending on many variables as far as how you set it up i.e. pressure, nozzles (how many also), etc, but those numbers seem to indicate an overall temp drop of the IC, which can never hurt.

Apparently it may benefit us here in Colorado who suffer from seriously dry hot summers as opposed to someone in a relatively more humid setting i.e SoCal.

We have the worst of it here: hot, dry air at nearly 6000ft above sea level :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
If you bump a 7 year old thread please have relevant information regarding the topic. Other wise it's just pointless and you should start a new thread as in many cases in the last 7 years there has been advancements in the community.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.