Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 STI.

I have full catless exhaust from turbo back. Catless up pipe, and ceramic coated headers. Perrin Cold air.
I currently run a Cobb stage 2. But in the next few weeks when my state opens up more from this pandemic i am headed to a pro tuner.
I am looking to upgrade my TMIC now.

Does the intercooler after market Top Mount Intercooler that fits on a 2006 or 2007 STI also fit a 2016 STI?

Is there a difference in the mounting points for the intercoolers? or line obstructions that are different?

Thank you

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
If I were you I'd put the factory intake on there asap and wait to reinstall the intake until you get the custom tune it requires. As far as I'm aware they are the same, however when you order your aftermarket one order the one for your year.

Cobb tunes only support Cobb intakes, period. Some people argue this because their bro on instagram said it doesn't matter or Jonny Ringland said its fine. Data proves otherwise. The engine management is mass airflow and the precise calibration of that sensor is mission critical. After AEM stopped lending its intake design to Cobb, Cobb tunes moved to supporting their intakes only. This small issue is why so many of these blocks are piled in corners of performance shops everywhere. Because you are already investing in your mind to get the proper pro-tune make sure the car lasts until then.

Cobb tunes abridged version:

Stage 1: no mods at all

Stage 1+: Cobb intake nothing else.

Stage 2: Catted downpipe only, catless downpipes cause overboost because the wastegate can't handle the flow. You can limp around on the catless pipe but its not good.

Stage 2+: Cobb intake and catted downpipe.

This is the limit of your factory injectors and fuel system and where basic Cobb staged packages stop. You can throw an intercooler on there but you won't really take advantage of it at all because of the fuel limitations. You actually MAY get more out of the current setup by bumping up to a set of id1050x and walbro 255 fuel pump.

You stated stage 2 thats the wrong tune wrong intake aside.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not own the OG intake anymore.
Thank you for the knowledge on the Cobb tuning.

My car is going into the pro tune in the month of Jan.
I was trying to see if a better than Stock TMIC would be a better benefit. But you make it sound like maybe some injectors and fuel pump.

Im not looking for crazy HP. I do not know what i have now. When i go to the tuner my goal would be around 350-380 in the engine. Not sure what that would translate to for WHP. And if my current set up can not reach that goal then i will be happy with what i can get while still being reliable and not trying to overboost and blow my turbo.

Thank you

15,756 Posts
Youll hit that with just a downpipe and intake.

The ej platform had a more restricted exhaust and the down pipe makes a big difference. You'll be there or close without the intercooler. The intercooler has the advantage of making it more efficient and easier to hit.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Fueling is your restriction and needs to be addressed long before any more engine modifications.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
I want to reiterate this.

Even on pump fuel, the modern STI is heavily fuel limited at stage 2 modifications. Adding the intake and any other additional modifications will exacerbate the issue.

Before you waste any $$ on a protune, install injectors and a fuel pump. In the past, I would have strongly advised installing the smallest capacity injectors that meet your needs, but today's Bosch EV14 based injectors have superior fuel control and atomization than even the OEM injectors with half the bandwidth capacity. Look to install ID1050x injectors and a larger capacity fuel pump.

15,756 Posts
You should discuss running E85 with your tuner. The less knock the better. Otherwise, what they said. You don’t need a larger intercooler for those numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I almost universally agree e85 is a great option, it however is hard to find in certain areas. There is nowhere within 30 minutes of my home that reliabily has it.

That alone is why i don't specifically recommend it.

With where the op is currently fuel pump is fine assuming he upgrades the fueling capacity to meet his current demands. Intercoolers biggest advantage in the aftermarket is the efficiency, or drop across the core. The closer the drop is to zero the less work the turbo has to do, not specifically denser air or more boost.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been thinking about making the change over E85. It sounds like it would increase the longevity of the vehicle.

I will order what i need for this conversion. Finding E85 is common where i live.
I certainly will do my own install the weekend before im scheduled to go to the pro tune. This way the only driving i do after install is to the shop. I am very savvy with the wrench. My first car was a RX7 FD3 and i did a motor swap right away to a Jspec motor..... So getting my hands dirty is something i enjoy.

I am looking at this

and

With the ID 1050X injectors and the high cap fuel pump.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the help with understanding better.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
For these conversations, you need to start having the conversation with your tuner.

Your tuner will decide if they are comfortable with E85.

Your tuner will suggest their preferred solution for supporting fueling mods. Some tuners just recommend injectors and a fuel pump, some want to see a change to the fuel damper and regulator as well, some even want different fuel rails on top of all that.

The same tuner will then advise on the intercooler modification.

At this point, ignore all of the Cobb "stage" stuff. This is the big leagues now and you've moved on from the OTS tuning packages.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to provide an update on my order and i have another question.

I have ordered a set of ID1050X injectors. I ordered an AEM high flow E85 compatible Fuel Pump.
I also ordered an IAG AOS.

I will still install the injectors just prior to tunning. Is this going to be a problem? I was planning on doing the job at my house which is 100mile away from the tunner. Is this a safe distance to drive on new pump and injectors to go to the tune? I can try to do the job at my friends apt which is maybe 15 miles from the tuner.

Im going to tune to pump first. And over time i will get the fuel changed over to E85. There is more parts that i would want to replace with fuel lines if making that change over.

Since i am not looking for crazy HP amounts and i would be happy if i do over 380 and stay reliable.
I can talk to the tuner about a different BOV but i dont think i need that if im not trying to push limits. Right?

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Am I yelling into an abyss here?

YOU NEED TO TALK TO YOUR TUNER.

Most tuners will provide a base map to "limp" you to the dyno.

No, the car won't even run if you install injectors and don't flash the ECM.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do understand.
I have called my tuner. I have an apt between 1/25/21 - 2/5/21. I will do the install over a weekend.
Small crinkle. I will have to get my car towed to the shop. No limp drive map. But on the plus i will get my car on a dyno for the first time. My first experience with a dyno.

But this is best. I have planned to want to go to the tuner and i dont want to go too often. So now and then if i even make the move to E85 i will work on that come that point in time and i'll be happy to go back to the tuner then.

So the injectors and pump make sense. Im looking forward to the install. I also ordered a fuel pressure reg.
Does anyone have any good tips?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.