Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and have finally joined so that I can post and do searches. I am looking at a WRX wagon to complement my V8 302 Miata (more seats but am aiming for the same level of insanity).

The concensus of opinion seems to be that the output temperature of the stock TMIC suffers when at idle due to heat soak from the engine. However, I have yet to hear of anyone using an intercooler fan. This approach has been used on MR2 and Celica turbos to good effect - so what am I missing?
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

Does it actually make sense to cool the turbo down, except when you are about to turn off, or are out of boost. Cooling the Turbo will reduce the gas volume in the exhaust and in principle would reduce the `drive' to the exhaust turbine. Surely it only makes sense to cool the unit between or after `boosting' - i.e. when running slowly in traffic or stationary. Note this is exactly the same time you get heat soak issues...

What surprised me about this whole question of an intercooler fan was that from what I have heard/read etc., the TMIC works OK at speed, but suffers at low speed or stationary. I appreciate that the FMIC is a better solution, but it seems much more expensive than buying a better TMIC and addressing the heat soak issue with a fan.
Perhaps there is not enough room to put a fan in under the IC to such air down through the hood scoop - I don't know as I haven't got a car yet. A fan would also help to cool the rest of the engine when stationary.

In terms of keeping a good airflow through the engine bay, has anybody experimented with an air dam to stop air coming in underneath and bypassing the rad? I have found this very effective in a Miata where you can make most of the air go through the rad. It also helps to reduce the hood bulging with high air pressure at speed!
mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.