Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys recommend Cobb SF intake + airbox kit for 200? i would be getting it used,the owner said he has only used it for 3000 miles. As well what should i be checking for wear and tear?

·
Super Moderator
10,890 Posts
I really hate the sound of an intake so I would avoid it for that reason.

Other reasons are oiled cotton filters suck, you need to have the car tuned for the intake, the entirety of the unit and tuning options is very expensive for less than a hand full of hp, I can't speak to the Cobb unit however they tend to pull in hot engine bay air, and the metal tubed ones don't insulate the intake air as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
if your talking about a modern wrx i wouldn't recommend it. the car comes with a cold air intake from the factory. from what ive read it is only a bottleneck when you start approaching 400whp. so unless you have already put 10-15k into the car id pass on the intake.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
As far as aftermarket intakes go, a Cobb with the air box is a pretty good one. I don't know about wear and tear, especially at 3000 miles. They tend to last a really long time without problems.. I would just take a look at it for anything wrong. I'm not sure what filter comes with those, but I would think about replacing it with an AEM dry flow (good filters).

Just remember that you should get the car tuned for any changes to the intake. If the car is stock and you're looking to get an intake to boost performance your money would be better spent elsewhere (turboback exhaust). The tune itself will be quite beneficial, but the gains from an intake on an otherwise stock car aren't as much as you would imagine. The stock intake on 02-07 models is pretty dang good.. I would expect a little more gains if you have an 08+ WRX (or LGT), but still not a ton. You will be able to hear the turbo more, and maybe get another 10hp out of it. Turboback exhaust with a tune on the other hand will provide quite a noticeable gain in power. Pretty much anything you do on these cars to increase power output will require remapping of the ECU to prevent damage to the engine (and to actually get the power increase).

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
if your talking about a modern wrx i wouldn't recommend it. the car comes with a cold air intake from the factory. from what ive read it is only a bottleneck when you start approaching 400whp. so unless you have already put 10-15k into the car id pass on the intake.

I would argue otherwise.. after an aftermarket downpipe (<$500) a new intake is the logical next step. Intakes aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and do provide a power boost if properly tuned. Depending on the year model, the only things I would suggest in lieu of an intake after the exhaust has been done would be injectors (might as well upgrade the fuel pump while you're at it), ELH, TMIC, 3-port EBCS, maybe even TGV deletes.. probably the inlet too if the car has some years on it. You're looking at around $1k each for the headers and intercooler, not exactly cheap. If you've done all those things (less than $4k) and still haven't replaced the intake then the next step should definitely be the intake. If you're not looking to do that many mods then exhaust intake and tune isn't a bad idea (assuming your year model won't be running out of injector at that point).

·
voidin warranty since 05
835 Posts
As far as aftermarket intakes go, a Cobb with the air box is a pretty good one. I don't know about wear and tear, especially at 3000 miles. They tend to last a really long time without problems.. I would just take a look at it for anything wrong. I'm not sure what filter comes with those, but I would think about replacing it with an AEM dry flow (good filters).

Just remember that you should get the car tuned for any changes to the intake. If the car is stock and you're looking to get an intake to boost performance your money would be better spent elsewhere (turboback exhaust). The tune itself will be quite beneficial, but the gains from an intake on an otherwise stock car aren't as much as you would imagine. The stock intake on 02-07 models is pretty dang good.. I would expect a little more gains if you have an 08+ WRX (or LGT), but still not a ton. You will be able to hear the turbo more, and maybe get another 10hp out of it. Turboback exhaust with a tune on the other hand will provide quite a noticeable gain in power. Pretty much anything you do on these cars to increase power output will require remapping of the ECU to prevent damage to the engine (and to actually get the power increase).
+1.

tried to give you a rep for this, but apparently i have to give others reps before i can give you anymore. sorry i cant be your biggest fan robin.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would argue otherwise.. after an aftermarket downpipe (<$500) a new intake is the logical next step. Intakes aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and do provide a power boost if properly tuned. Depending on the year model, the only things I would suggest in lieu of an intake after the exhaust has been done would be injectors (might as well upgrade the fuel pump while you're at it), ELH, TMIC, 3-port EBCS, maybe even TGV deletes.. probably the inlet too if the car has some years on it. You're looking at around $1k each for the headers and intercooler, not exactly cheap. If you've done all those things (less than $4k) and still haven't replaced the intake then the next step should definitely be the intake. If you're not looking to do that many mods then exhaust intake and tune isn't a bad idea (assuming your year model won't be running out of injector at that point).
well i sure hope your right because cheap power is always good :)

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
The cheapest way to get the most power per dollar would probably be an aftermarket downpipe, injectors, fuel pump, and a larger turbo.. skip the rest. A Blouch 18g-XT is about the same price as Killer B headers, and you'll get a lot more power out of the turbo than headers. Sure, you'll be missing out on a lot of power with the stock intercooler on there, but if it's between an aftermarket intercooler, or a bigger turbo.. the turbo is going to make more power every day. e85 is also a great option for cheap power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm on COBB OTS tune (just waiting for other upgrades before I really get a custom tune) but have been monitoring the performance so here goes.

Setup: Invidia catted downpipe, Invidia race 3" catback with custom fit Varex butterfly muffler, Cobb OTS Stage 2 HWG '93 octane map (for either stock intake or Cobb intake; see below). Turbo blanket by PTP (non-Lava).

This year during hot months I put my stock intake with high flow K&N filter on as I was battling a lot of heat. OEM intake is great in that sense that you don't go over 15 degrees (at most) for the intake temperature as everything is enclosed.

What I noticed though even when the temperature was in the cool 50's in the morning, the OEM intake definitely didn't have that extra pull especially in 3rd gear like it does with the Cobb intake with box. Within 100 miles of switching back to my Cobb intake with filter that was cleaned and oiled (used K&N filter cleaner and oil kit), with ambient temperature of 65 degrees and intake temperature of 90 degrees (much hotter), it pulled a lot stronger and faster.

The downside with Cobb intake is the heat. I have non-branded gold heat reflector I bought from Amazon that dropped the temperature down by 10 degrees or so but during summer months before I swapped to the OEM intake it was struggling.

When I get more time I'm looking to do further insulation of the box itself to really enclose it from heat. Personally I love the sound and can't get enough of it. Now that we're entering cooler months it's even better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts