Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are many companies out there that make CAI/short ram intakes for the WRX and i think someone should start some kinda intake SHOOTOUT like they did for the exhausts. I know that there are many posts that already exist on the whole CAI stock/ non-stock gain topic but i'll leave it up to you car know it all's to "sum it up" in one easy to find paragraph...cool thanks. If all else fails im goin for the perrin short ram or CAI. If heatsoaking was the prob with these "metal" cai's then having a silicone tube should do the trick right? Im probably wrong so someone please correct me!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't waste your money. The dynos of intakes have had negligable results. There general consensus is they do nothing but sound good.

Maybe at the 300+whp it'll make a difference (Although, not proven).

-C
stock intake.

·
Registered
118 Posts
SobeWRX said:
it is hard to simulate driving conditions while on a dyno. ie no air passing into the wheel well for cai...

Dont they use giant fans to create the air flow over a car at dynos ? I've seen it done before but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I got my short ram for christmas and I love the way it sounds. I guess it's still debatable whether there are any true gains from this but, I would think that if nothing else, you might get some gains from removing all the extra parts, less weight or something. I know that alot of people leave the ram air duct in place but I left that out as well. I am thinking about cutting it so that it redirects air directly onto the filter.

In any case, I am perfectly happy with my short ram. It looks bad ass and it sounds it too.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I bought mine before those on this board enlightened me on the dynamics of forced induction.
I know they don't help and if I could go back in time I would've spent the money elsewhere.

That said I'm still not gonna take it off, it sounds sooo b1tchin!;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're not gonna see much if any gain with an intake until you have a car in a higher state of tune, but if you're planning on going big in the somewhat near future, well then what the hell, go for it.

One word of warning, if you're running a new intake with a Unichip, be prepared to get it custom mapped to work with it, otherwise, you'll be running dangerously lean.

I still haven't done this since I got my unichip, so my poor Blitz SUS is acting as a $220 paperweight right now. I'm gonna put it in when I get a VF34 this spring, and I'll get the whole car custom tuned to make it work together!

A note of how the Blitz performs:

On a car with just an axle-back and MBC, the Blitz didn't do much for the butt-dyno, but it sounded awesome and looked bad a#s under the hood! I ran the car with a full turbo-back with and without the intake and it felt much more put-together with the Blitz in there. Not insanely faster, just smoother and more responsive.

-Michael

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Indeed...if anything, it does look purty under the hood :) Makes me smile every time! :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
God said:
Actually there are big gains to be had with a new short ram intake IF you have the supporting mods like a bigger turbo to go with it. On a stock car the gains are small.
So some have said, but there are no conclusive dyno charts. I wish there were. I know people with bigger turbos who has since returned to stock intake with the same et and trap. Perhaps with a custom tune. We need some conclusive dyno comparision to prove the gains.

·
Registered
126 Posts
fastARSEWRX- did you chop your injen to fit with your fmic? Got any pics if you did?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Um..a qwik question to those w/ ram airs...can you describe the sound that is suppose to be sooooo btch'n?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
QuickSilver said:
Um..a qwik question to those w/ ram airs...can you describe the sound that is suppose to be sooooo btch'n?

thanks.
It's kind of like an enhanced turbo spool sound. It sounds like air rushing into the engine and sorta makes the turbo spool sound even louder. I love it :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intakes

Well I am new to this forum, but I must say whoever says intakes do not make a difference on the WRX is wrong. Below is a list of mods I have done to my WRX.

VF24 Turbo
Vishnu Uppipe
Turbo XS Downpipe with cat
Apex Exhaust
GFB Blow off valve
Upgraded top mount intercooler
Unichip
Injen cold air intake(not anymore):(
AEM power pulley

I changed the intake the other day to the AEM cold air intake :) and let me tell you there was a big difference in the two intakes.

The Injen intake is straight 2.75" tubing and ducts it into the fender well just like my AEM although their intake is stepped from 2.75" to 3". After I changed the intake I immediately noticed more top end power as well as mid range pickup. The unichip is still running the car perfectly and A/F ratios ddn't change all that much, but the intake made a dramatic change in the vehicles performance. I would not go back ever to the Injen intake no matter what anyone says.

I do have a lot of upgrades to the vehicle so I am not sure whether it will respond differently on a stock WRX. Although a less restrictive intake will do better than the stock intake in many ways.

This is just my .02 so please don't start to bash me.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts