Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it really add any power, or is the only benefit that really nice (annoying?) hissing noise that comes along w/most any intake mod/upgrade?

·
Registered
150 Posts
AFAIK, no benefit at all. Just that noise you hear, which incidentally is the Turbo spooling up as well as the internal BOV sounding off. I also replace my stock air filter with an ITG one and between the 2 it (at least to me) sounds really nice.

But it's really a personal preference.

~V

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a feeling I am going to grow to hate the sound...

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Silencer mod w/ hi flow filter (K&N, ITG) yielded ~ 5.3 hp and 6.9 ft lbs torque on a Seattle dyno run awhile back. Not enough to feel, but enough to make it worth while IMHO.

There's a couple of ways to do the mod as well, I chopped the lower portion of the silencer off, leaving the stock intake- thus I've got air via the intake and from the fender well- didn't notice much of noise increase. As an added benefit you it looks completely stock unless you were to go into the wheel well.

Big Sky

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the stock intake off(meaning the front part on top of the engine). Figured I might decide someday to put the resonator back on, and didn't want to destroy it.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I don't know if the full removal of the silencer and intake would increase noise over simply removing the lower part of the silencer. I had a picture posted in the tutorial section under silencer mod, but it is gone now for some reason? My main reason for doing it this way was to have two sources of air and maintain the stock look.

Big Sky

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I understand why you did it. Kind of a "Sleeper" look ;)

Like I said though, I left the resonator alone incase I decide to put it back on one day. *shrug* Preference, I suppose.

How long did it take you to get yours out? Mine came out a LOT quicker than I expected...

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I hate to admit this, but a couple of those plastic fasteners on the fender well took me a while to figure out. After that a breeze.

By the way here's the group that did the dyno run in Seattle. I chatted with the guy who is running the website, sounds like a great group. They have install days every couple of weeks and get together to help each other.

http://wrxworld.com/projects/dynoday/default.htm

Big Sky

·
Registered
404 Posts
S-K said:
I have a feeling I am going to grow to hate the sound...
Hate the sound? After a while you won't even notice it. I don't even realize its doing it. What I notice is my exhaust getting a little louder. Its starting to sound bad axx. I have full turboback exhaust with race pipe from Turboxs. My car sounds like it means business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts