ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a Cobb Accessport and an intake in the next week or so. My question is which intake works best with the AP, Cobb SF or AEM? Or, is there very little difference in the two? I've read a lot of info, but nothing compared the two. I do realize that the AEM sits low in the fender, which isn't an issue for me. I like the looks of the cold air box with the Cobb though. Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
What year and model?

·
Registered
63 Posts
if you're planning on using cobb OTS maps with your AP then you should go with the cobb intake. I was using an aem intake on stage 1 OTS map running lean, so i ordered the cobb intake. Take a look at the map notes on cobbs website for whichever stage you're planning on running and it should say whether or not you can use any different brands of aftermarket intakes.

What year is your car? I just remembered that cobb is making maps compatible with AEM intakes for the new wrx/sti.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The SF intake, in combo with the Air Box, effectively becomes a 'CAI' since the bottom half of the air box is open allowing air from the fender to flow into the filter. Also, the SF intake is easier to access when having to clean your filter. It's made of composite material as opposed to aluminum which allows it to dissipate heat faster, and the SF has shorter tubing which equals higher intake velocities. So as much as people say the AEM is a true CAI and is 'better', I went ahead and ordered the SF intake because I can't see it being much worse, if at all, than the AEM.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
+1 - Cobb SFI. The only thing I don't like is that its not "dry flow," as in it requires spraying with oil after cleaning.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! My car is a 2011 WRX. I don't plan to mod it much, just the AP and intake, and perhaps a cat-back system later. I'm not looking to boost the performance much, I just love the sound of a cai on a turbo vehicle! I wasn't going to buy the AP at first, but after reading on the forums I realized that if I wanted an intake I had to tune. I will be using OTS maps which is why I decided on the 2 intakes here. The Cobb SF is looking like the clear winner to me! Thanks again guys!!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there is an OTS map for either one of those intakes...I've read a lot that the better gains actually come from the AEM+Stage 1 map.

But yes you are on the right track to check the Cobb map notes and decide from there. Bottom line is, you shouldn't put on any parts that aren't allotted for by the particular map.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That is correct. Cobb offers a map for both the AEM and Cobb intake. If you are interested in other intakes check out Torqued Performance. He offers ots maps for a few other intakes as well. Myself, I would go with the AEM because many tuners are claiming the most power with them and it's a dry filter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my friend with the 11 wrx went with the cobb intake and air box with the access port .. i sent him a text saying how is it his response was "holy ****" he said it gives you a floating launch feeling if you do a rolling start in first ... deff ordering for mine really soon after those break in miles

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies!! I found an AEM intake for $211 shipped yesterday, so I'll probably get it. That's alot better than $290 for the Cobb. It's gonna suck having the parts and not be able to put them on until the break in is done! Thanks again guys!!

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
Thanks for the replies!! I found an AEM intake for $211 shipped yesterday, so I'll probably get it. That's alot better than $290 for the Cobb. It's gonna suck having the parts and not be able to put them on until the break in is done! Thanks again guys!!
Holy crap... I got my Cobb for 20 bucks...

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
what exactly did u get for 20 bucks and from where ??
Haha not the airbox unfortunately, just the intake. My friend sold his Bugeye and gave me the intake for 20 bucks ;). I'm back to the stock intake, however.

·
Registered
902 Posts
my friend with the 11 wrx went with the cobb intake and air box with the access port .. i sent him a text saying how is it his response was "holy ****" he said it gives you a floating launch feeling if you do a rolling start in first ... deff ordering for mine really soon after those break in miles
Hmm, I went for a ride in a car that was running the Cobb stage 2 +SF intake map and didn't notice a difference vs my car with the Cobb stage 2 stock air box map other than the intake sound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think the intake is going to give you a very large "noticible" power gain. Most people just tend to buy it for a better sound. Dyno sheets show a gain, but your butt dyno might not be able to sense it.

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Where did you find that price?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts