Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 16, getting a WRX fa shore..excuse my ghettoness..anyways, my grandparents did some research and told me if it was indipendently my car and not under my dads polices they wanted 8k a month..i know he's not saying that cuz he doesnt want me to get that car. but i was just curious what you guys are paying insurance? a yr and by month if you know?i plan on getting a MT with basically no options....

·
Registered
118 Posts
"Ghettoness" or "Wiggy-ness" is frowned upon by the WRX crowd - IMO.

At that rate the car would be PAID IN VALUE to the insurance CO within 3 months - bullcrap to that premise. It's not a sportbike!

Go to http://www.progressive.com and check your rates. You are going to get owned by the rates being 16, 'young dum and full of cum' so to speak.

You need to select a used, inexpensive car until you are at least 21, because the rates are going to be exorbarant for you at your age for minimum liability.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Well, 8k a month is obviously bull, but yeah, a 16 year old male is gonna pay through the nose for a $25k turbocharged car. They do have a point though, if you can get included on your dad's policy you'll save a pile.

Just for the record, I pay about $1200 a year but I'm 32, married with a child (Colin after Mr. McRae :D ), hold a Masters degree, drive a wagon and - since they only go back so far - a halfway decent driving record. I only pay $100 per year more than my wife does on her Civic. Don't quite get that one but who am I to argue!

The insurance companies have a good reason for high rates for youngsters (by cracky ya little whippersnapper ;) ) though - I know very few guys who DIDN'T wreck a car between the ages of 16 and 18.

Chris

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
hey, i am 20 years old and just got bumped off of the 'parents insurance policy' train. just wanted to let you know there is (some) hope. the first place i called quoted me at over $4000 a year for insurance, at which point i flipped out and thought i'd never get a WRX. after that i called a lot more places and found a high of over $6000 per year, and a low of $2300 per year (avg coverage, full tort). so yeah, insurance isnt cheap at all for the WRX, but i'm sure you can find a quote much lower than that. just call up every number in the phone book...
o-|-<) bryan
btw, state farm gave me the best quote...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8k a yr, my bad...lol..what do you think is a reasonable price for my status? like 3k a yr? and at what point do they start to decrease my insurance rate? after a yr they start deducting a bit till im 18 or what??? im 16 so insurance isnt that fimilar to me..

·
Premium Member
15,595 Posts
8k a month

Insurance companies will quote ridiculous rates when they don't want you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Allstate

I heard Allstate is good for young drivers. Also your largest decrease in insurance premiums don't come until you hit 25 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:(

sigh my insurance is gonna go up since iam only 17 and iam already in a accident, as for the saying "young dum and full of cum" you couldn't put it any better. Yes iam young and maybe iam dumb and no doubt in my mind iam full of cum, but once you get into your first accident, boy oh boy do you start to think diffrent i know i did ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Boy do I feel lucky! I'm 21 and I managed to stay on my parents insurance I was able to pull off $775 a year with COSTCO. That's one thing that's keeping me from speeding too much. Don't wanna ruin a good thing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Some insurance cost saving suggestions

Why do you want to be independant? What's the advantage?

To save costs, try to get in under your parent(s) and as a part-time driver. Try to get straight A's in school (worked for me:) )and get the wagon...I think because of the stigma it may be cheaper (if they only knew).

As for me, I'm 27 and single (but co-habitate w/ my fiance) and in Michigan (no-fault insurance) and I pay a bit over $100 a month. Some agents out there "bend' the rules...we have 3 cars, my WRX, her protege, and a beat-up pick-up...the pick-up is currently rusting in our parking lot, but somehow the agent has that as our primary car and the other two as "recreational"...HEy, you better believe the WRX is RECREATIONAL...I won't complain, but i did make sure I have copies of the paper work and documentation of the phone calls where the agent told me this was "OK". As long as they cover me cheap, I don't care what they claim to the Underwriters.

Good luck!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm 24 and pay 'bout $100 /mo for full coverage through Mercury.

BTW, when I got my 3000GT and I was only 18, EVERYWHERE quoted me rediculous prices. Geiko quoted me somewhere around $7000/yr.! I ended up paying $350/mo after a $1000 down payment for a total of $5000/yr!!!! I wanted the car bad enough though and paid it. It comes down FAST the older you get though, when I hit 19 it had a big drop, I got married, and it almost cut in half. Now I'm just waiting for my age25 decrease.

I totaled the 3000GT last year, and I didn't get exactly what I wanted from Mercury, but I didn't get completely ripped off either. But I've done a whole lotta shoppin' around and they were ALWAYS the lowest I could find for being so young.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Insurance...
As a 16 year old, you definately need to have them place you under your parents. It will save you a bundle of money. My insurance when I was 16-18 with my parents was 800 a year. When I hit 18, they lowered my parents' insurance because I was a good driver. Good grades, good driving record, no speeding tickets, and was driving a pickup, so the insurance company dropped the rate a little.

As you get older and wiser (at least some of us...I haven't gotten wiser, just better at avoiding tickets :) ), your insurance will drop.

I'm currently pretty bad...paying 2300 a year for 2 cars...
I have 4 points on my driving record!! It's my worse yet...public offense...did a donut in a state park parking lot and got caught...

mumble
mumble...

only 1 speeding ticket ever!! No accidents ever!! and I get caught doing a donut!! mumble...grumble.

-Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts