ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got home, grabbed my mail.. find my auto insurance renewal policy. it appears that amica wants to raise my insurance by $65/month to cover what they call "rising medical costs and soaring liability losses". :eek: crazy! if anyone has any good or bad experiences with other insurance companies (auto AND homeowners), please speak up. i'm definitely in the market for a new insurance company.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had good luck with State Farm. They've taken good care of me and my wife through some pretty bad accidents and a stolen car.

Tim

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
State of Colorado recently removed the medical coverage requirement for auto policies. If you have medical coverage through work or whatever, can drop the med coverage on your auto and save some money.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
djrez4 said:
State of Colorado recently removed the medical coverage requirement for auto policies. If you have medical coverage through work or whatever, can drop the med coverage on your auto and save some money.
that's why i'm so annoyed, i don't have the medical coverage through my auto policy.. yet they're still jacking my rates up :mad:

EDIT: actually, i remember when the liability stuff was repealed, and my policy only increased by $8 a _year_.. this seems to be something completely unrelated

·
Registered
414 Posts
I switch insurance every couple of years. Once they have you they will keep raising your rates because they think you are too lazy to look around. I use Progressive and they dropped my rates by about $20 a month because I went a whole year with out a ticket.;) :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I am currently with Progressive. Although they were charging me more for being under 25 and then I turned 25. Of course I called and said I am 25 what will my rate be now?

There response was we don't give out the discount for being 25. I was more then a little annoyed when I heard that line a crap.

The BS part was when I started the policy it ended one month after my 25th. The rep told me my rate will be lower on my renewal since I will be 25 at that [email protected], Lied to me.

The sad part, I am still with them. I will 26 in a month and they still have the lowest rate for me. Just can't win sometimes.

Good luck finding a new ins provider.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sad part, I am still with them. I will 26 in a month and they still have the lowest rate for me. Just can't win sometimes.

Good luck finding a new ins provider. [/B]
thanks, yeah it appears it was some sort of mixup where the rates went up slightly, and they "misread" my credit report. haven't heard anything yet, but i have flawless credit, so we'll see :rolleyes:

·
Registered
643 Posts
elijahwrx said:
thanks, yeah it appears it was some sort of mixup where the rates went up slightly, and they "misread" my credit report. haven't heard anything yet, but i have flawless credit, so we'll see :rolleyes:
How can they mis-read a credit report? There's three credit scores in bold on the first page, a first grader could probably figure it out ;)

As far as homeowner's insurance, I went through ZC Sterling, pretty good rates except when my one year came up for re-newal, they tacked on a "Gold Package" for $380 which basically says if the house burns down or gets completely annihilated, then they'll double my coverages. Well duh, if my house gets destroyed, my original coverage is going to cover the cost of replacing the house, that's what it's there for. I had them remove it and my yearly is still pretty low. Don't use Westwood though, cheap at first, but you get hit pretty hard on the next year's premium.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm with allstate and totally love them. 21 year old male driver in a '98 RS coupe with a few tickets (none in the RS yet). I pay $1080 every 6 months for full coverage.... of course I've known my insurance agent since birth... but seriously... check out allstate, even without crazy hookups they're a very excellent company.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ShadoWrx said:
How can they mis-read a credit report? There's three credit scores in bold on the first page, a first grader could probably figure it out ;)
great question, it's all in black and white, no secrets there :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
analog_909 said:
I'm with allstate and totally love them. 21 year old male driver in a '98 RS coupe with a few tickets (none in the RS yet). I pay $1080 every 6 months for full coverage.... of course I've known my insurance agent since birth... but seriously... check out allstate, even without crazy hookups they're a very excellent company.
yeah i'm going to check out all the major players.. allstate, american family, state farm, farmers, etc.. have you ever had to file a claim with allstate? if so, were they responsive/cooperative?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My 6-month premium also went up like $20 and nothing has changed since the last renewal.

The 25 year old thing is a myth - when I asked them, they said it doesn't change until 30. Also I doubt you can save by switching companies if you have been with yours for a while. A few years back, I asked a girlfriend of a friend who was an Allstate agent, and she couldn't touch the rate I was getting because I had been with my company for over 5 years - they give a loyalty discount also.

State Farm is pretty good on claims - just get a couple estimates and they will pay for the fixes. They also have their own inspection centers for estimates. Supposedly, they will drop you if you have too many claims in a short period. A coworker told me they were dropped since his wife crashed her car twice in 1 year or something.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Mine is weird. I have my STI under full coverage($500 ded.) and Civic under liability. In february, it was about $1100 for 6 months and now my renewal is coming up and it dropped to $642 for both. I'm not complaining but that's weird that it's that big a drop.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WTypeRogerX said:
The 25 year old thing is a myth - when I asked them, they said it doesn't change until 30. Also I doubt you can save by switching companies if you have been with yours for a while. A few years back, I asked a girlfriend of a friend who was an Allstate agent, and she couldn't touch the rate I was getting because I had been with my company for over 5 years - they give a loyalty discount also.
Turning 25 saved me close to $1000/year on insurance :)

As for not getting a better rate.. rates just went up across the board at Amica. In the past, they have been cheaper than just about everyone for me. It now appears that they're equal to or more expensive than just about everyone I've looked at.

Major bummer, they have absolutely unbelievable customer service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts