ClubWRX Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1186 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm 35, no moving violations for at least a decade. No accidents (other than hitting a deer a few months back in my old car, but animal claims don't increase my insurance). $500 deductible. I pay $125/mo full tort for my 2017 Premium WRX.

I'm considering shopping around, but I've had USAA for 10+ years now, and they've always treated me well. Might be worth it to see what other deals I can find. Will help offset my increased payment compared to the Dart I was previously driving lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
insurence

damn I would love to pay those kind of numbers I had to pay 3k for 6 months and I only have 2 driving with out a license ever that's it, I'm getting bent on this one

·
Banned
350 Posts
Ran my quote today with Geico.
with the other vehicles on my policy, 500 deductible all around, 100/300 liability and all that + Bag of chips, an 18 STI is going to run me $80 additional/month.
Do I Win?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
You are a winner because you have a 2018 WRX! And you got your insurance at a good price. There are literally tens and tens of variables for getting insurance, almost as many as their are quality differences amount the different insurance companies.

You could pay less, but have an insurance company which is next to worthless if you ever have a claim.

You price is in the ballpark, but lacking your age, driving history, credit score, where you live, yada, yada, we can not tell you whether you got on base through an error, OR, got there being hit by a ball while in the batter's box, OR, you hit a grand slam and your team advances to the playoffs.

·
Banned
350 Posts
You are a winner because you have a 2018 WRX! And you got your insurance at a good price. There are literally tens and tens of variables for getting insurance, almost as many as their are quality differences amount the different insurance companies.

You could pay less, but have an insurance company which is next to worthless if you ever have a claim.

You price is in the ballpark, but lacking your age, driving history, credit score, where you live, yada, yada, we can not tell you whether you got on base through an error, OR, got there being hit by a ball while in the batter's box, OR, you hit a grand slam and your team advances to the playoffs.
ah fair nuff.

I should clarify: don't have yet, ordering soon :D

Driving History: uhh I think I have 3 tickets since 16
Credit: Mid-high 700s
I also have 2 other vehicles on the policy and an accompanied motorcycle policy with 3 more bikes

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
That is helpful info, and I still think you got a very fair price considering all of those things. I pay a fair amount less, but I am much older (in the lowest age price group), have no tickets in fifteen years, live in the middle of the country -- outside a small town with a low crime rate, my insurance company also has my house, life insurance, and more -- so we qualify for every deduction possible I think.

I think you did fine. Just get your '18 WRX, drive it, and keep smiling. Or if you want to lower your insurance rate a couple of dollars per month, trade me even up on my 2017 LOL. I will even come to Colorado to do the swap...

·
Banned
350 Posts
hah. no thanks.
I did try to remove collision on my truck since I'll only be driving it for utility/hunting/bike/car hauling crap..but it only lowered my payment like..$10/month. wasn't worth it

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just got a couple insurance quotes, they're listing the exact same rates for a '18 WRX Limited and a '18 STI Base.

Seems weird, right? I always thought the STI should be a lot more.

·
Registered
408 Posts
im 30, no accidents in 13 years, one speeding ticket 6 years ago. i pay about 1000 a year for my g37x, the quote i got for a 2018 wrx was the same. full coverage 500 deductible. geico ftw.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Just got a couple insurance quotes, they're listing the exact same rates for a '18 WRX Limited and a '18 STI Base.

Seems weird, right? I always thought the STI should be a lot more.
not quite. basically insurance goes off a few primary factors
1. Driver stats (Age, Gender, Have we already paid a claim on this person and lost our ass)
2. Vehicle Price
3. Engine Size (Pistons not necessarily displacement)
4. Vehicle Type (Sedan, Truck, Coupe)
5. Vehicle storage location (statistics taken about car theft by zip code/city basically. this is probably the most minor factor)

given the same driver stats and vehicle type, the WRX Limited and Base STI are basically the same price. Additionally the engine size being 2.0 vs 2.5 wouldn't really be a huge factor; they care more about 4/6/8 cyl.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1. Driver stats (Age, Gender, Have we already paid a claim on this person and lost our ass)
2. Vehicle Price
5. Vehicle storage location (statistics taken about car theft by zip code/city basically. this is probably the most minor factor)

given the same driver stats and vehicle type, the WRX Limited and Base STI are basically the same price. Additionally the engine size being 2.0 vs 2.5 wouldn't really be a huge factor; they care more about 4/6/8 cyl.
When you put it like that (the value of the LTD vs STI), it makes more sense. I just figured the extra power would make a difference too. I remember my insurance in college was an extra $40 a month for an Integra GS-R than a regular Integra. Lame.

Funny side note, I talked to a guy who bought one of the first new Civic Type R's, and since his insurance didn't even have a classification for the Type R they rated him the same as a basic Civic LX hatchback. That's winning :)

·
Banned
350 Posts
When you put it like that (the value of the LTD vs STI), it makes more sense. I just figured the extra power would make a difference too. I remember my insurance in college was an extra $40 a month for an Integra GS-R than a regular Integra. Lame.

Funny side note, I talked to a guy who bought one of the first new Civic Type R's, and since his insurance didn't even have a classification for the Type R they rated him the same as a basic Civic LX hatchback. That's winning :)
yeah theres always crap like that they can pull out for special scenarios and can charge a little extra from ya.

I had a Honda CBR600 for a few years and sold it to trade for a kawasaki versys.

One is a supersport, the other is a 650cc twin standard bike..much different beasts. my versys pinned can hit like...115 on a downhill lol.... However, because the engine is 50cc bigger, my insurance was a little higher.. extra lame.

·
Registered
408 Posts
2. Vehicle Price

vehicle stats matter a lot too, not just engine size. some cars are statistically more likely to crash than others. in my next car research i found that, at least for me, the mustang gt is 30% more expensive to insure than a camaro ss. even though its a few thousand $ cheaper, and its engine and blind spots are smaller.

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
The WRX and sti are historically expensive to insure. The trend is people drive them like idiots. So everyone gets to pay.

There is quite a bit that goes into determining rates for a vehicle. The owners driving history, credit, location, commute distance, age, location of employment where the car will likely be parked, cost of repair work and difficulty of getting parts, value of the vehicle, number and ages of folks in the household.

This goes on and on. Insurance rates are not cut and dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
350 Posts
2. Vehicle Price

vehicle stats matter a lot too, not just engine size. some cars are statistically more likely to crash than others. in my next car research i found that, at least for me, the mustang gt is 30% more expensive to insure than a camaro ss. even though its a few thousand $ cheaper, and its engine and blind spots are smaller.
You can thank YouTube for that ???

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
You can thank trends of actual accidents, tickets, and payouts to owners of that vehicle.

For me it was cheaper to insure a new more expensive jeep than my WRX, it was also cheaper to insure a faster more powerful and more expensive BMW than the WRX. It's all about the vehicle and driver history.

·
Banned
350 Posts
You can thank trends of actual accidents, tickets, and payouts to owners of that vehicle.

For me it was cheaper to insure a new more expensive jeep than my WRX, it was also cheaper to insure a faster more powerful and more expensive BMW than the WRX. It's all about the vehicle and driver history.

totally agree. I was referring to the mustang thing with the huge trend of people trying to show off for the camera and then rail into a crowd or curb.

Maybe you should change your insurance. STI is 80/month for me...I'm 27

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
As posted above, some vehicles which are crashed more than others, which when coupled with the average claim amount for that vehicle, is a huge price determinant. When the Viper first came out, its large power and its tail-rotation-happiness and the type of macho drivers owning one, first two year actual vehicle incident claims resulted in an average claim of $27,000. Of course that number was influenced by many being totaled in the first crash, and all that resulted in very, very large insurance premiums.

But just huge power doesn't mean you will pay a lot. All the other factors, especially vehicle stability and driver common sense are major factors. Not that all Corvette owners are sane and safe (thought statistically they are a safe group as is the car itself) with my driving record, being 70 years old, and living in the country, I pay $62/month for our 2015, 650 HP/650TQ Z06 (with very significant insurance coverage levels).

I pay the same amount monthly for our 2017 WRX (same insurance coverage level).

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
totally agree. I was referring to the mustang thing with the huge trend of people trying to show off for the camera and then rail into a crowd or curb.

Maybe you should change your insurance. STI is 80/month for me...I'm 27
That price means nothing to me as insurance rates vary massively between states. I can insure myself and my GF in at at fault state in our current vehicles a WRX and a legacy for 100 a month. However my current state is a no fault state and the coverage is 3x as expensive for that reason alone.

1141 - 1160 of 1186 Posts