Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered something in my car insurance policy that I found surprising. HPDE events were not excluded under the policy. No timed events (this excludes auto-cross) would be covered. However, officially sanctioned HPDE events (NASA / HOD / CHIN, etc.) that involves true corner workers, actual flag enforcement and the availability of "instructor in car" participation are not excluded under my policy.

That said, I still purchase Track Event insurance. It is relatively inexpensive at ~$225 per event (2 day / 3 day / 1 day event - you are covered for the entire event) for ~$37K of insurance with a 10% deductible. The advantage to this insurance is that you can make a claim on this insurance and it is NOT a claim against your normal carrier. It would not affect your rates or record.

Just a little food for thought for some of the track rats out there.

· Banned
350 Posts
how many tracks have you been to that have walls?

all the ones I've been to are in the middle of nowhere. go off the track....you just hit the dirt, no big deal

now I suppose if you flip your car, you're boned.

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how many tracks have you been to that have walls?

all the ones I've been to are in the middle of nowhere. go off the track....you just hit the dirt, no big deal

now I suppose if you flip your car, you're boned.
Might want to look at Road Atlanta, NCM (National Corvette Museum Raceway), NOLA Motorsports, Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca just for starters. Just to be clear, one of the better drivers at NOLA just put his 2016 911GT3 RS into the wall. It is a total loss. Deeper pockets and he was back out there in a race prepped Viper on 9/9-9/10.

· Banned
350 Posts
ah, some of the big ones that actually host professional events.

I suppose yeah if you're going to those big tracks then I agree with you.

luckily, there are usually tons of smaller options that host an array of club racing and regular track days that aren't like that

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah, some of the big ones that actually host professional events.

I suppose yeah if you're going to those big tracks then I agree with you.

luckily, there are usually tons of smaller options that host an array of club racing and regular track days that aren't like that
I have one more event (signed up and paid for) at NOLA this year. Next year I have Barber on my dance card and most likely another run at NCM, too. I was thinking Sebring, but I think that things will be iffy in Florida for at least a couple of more years. NOLA has a 3,300' front straight stretch. 16 is one of the turns that can and does put people into the wall. A little quick to the gas out of 16 or more than likely, out of shape on 15, don't sort it out in 16, as they are looking to open it up down the straight and BOOM. It is cool though to get 16 about right and roll into the throttle down that straight. Third gear exit, 102-104MPH shift to 4th, 141-142mph shift to fifth and turn it to 145-146 before braking to 65MPH-70MPH (that is carrying the speed at 70) into turn 1. It is especially cool when you bark in the 3/4 upshift.

· Banned
350 Posts
very nice!

being a future STI owner, I need to find tight tracks.. tracks with huge straighaways will just be boring XD.

I remember Streets of willow in CA was one of my FAVORITES.

closest to me now is Highland Plains raceway so I need to check that out.. Miller #2.
I don't have much of a desire to travel for track days, if I've got that kind of coin i'll start racing autox

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.