ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of my recent situation I have been dealing with my insurance company quite a bit and learning about this PITA process.

My car was stolen and had about $11,000 of aftermarket parts on it. I am getting nothing back from my insurance company. I really have no leverage in the situation. I did not have the parts specifically covered. The insurance company is covering the car that I bought, which was a stock 2002 WRX. There wasn't even any language in my policy that I could twist in my favor.

I could tell them about the parts but even then they may not cover some parts. It is up to them.

I was speaking with my Dad and he said that there is a place on your tax returns to declare an asset loss, which this is. So it looks like I will get something back for the parts. So this is something for everyone to remember when insurance doesn't come through.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
does anyone have their aftermarket parts covered by insurance? i dont have $11,000 in aftermarket on my car but its starting to get up there at this point and i looked into it with my insurance company (progressive). i just never ended up getting the extra insurance.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet most people don't have their parts covered. I think they would only cover them if it was a car like that Greddy car the guy on here bought. I am not planning on putting anywhere near that much money into my next car.

I guess you have to look at how much your premium would increase and if it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well i know that over here some people have had their cars re-appraised by someone and showed the receipts and the parts on their cars. Then they can have their parts insured as well, though it costs them extra in insurance and road tax.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i guess i got lucky. when my 240sx got totalled my insurance company let me claim the parts that were on the car. suspension intake exchuast even the aftermarket stereo equipment.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it really depends on the individual insurance company's policy. You definintely lucked out.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blackshadow said:
Well i know that over here some people have had their cars re-appraised by someone and showed the receipts and the parts on their cars. Then they can have their parts insured as well, though it costs them extra in insurance and road tax.
Exactly. You have to decide if you are willing to pay more or just hope it doesn't get stolen.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I asked mine about it, and they said I needed to provide original sales receipts for everything I wanted covered. Since I've purchased most of it secondhand, that's not really even possible. Plus, I don't really want my insurance company to know how much power I've added to my car, that could backfire on me easily.

Of course, I only have a couple grand in add ons in mine, and I'm not in a high theft area - I can leave my windows down overnight, and garage door open all day, and nothing ever disappears (knocks on wood).

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
well dont they ask you what you had in or on your car when it got stolen, lets say you have a $2000 computer in the trunk, that would have to be covered, but its a really big iffy to get after markets covered, unless you tip your adjuster really well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm an American living in Germany and I use a German insurance company and they cover the mods, and yes I do pay a little more but not much, but hey, over here I can run completly catless and it's legal. Fun.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It's not legal to be catless in Europe. Sorry hate to burst your bubble... You can easily get away with it just like in a lot of states, but it's definitly NOT legal. Try having your car go through the German TUV inspection (i know you don't have to...) but it would not pass, gauranteed!

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Subie2.5RS2003 said:
well dont they ask you what you had in or on your car when it got stolen, lets say you have a $2000 computer in the trunk, that would have to be covered, but its a really big iffy to get after markets covered, unless you tip your adjuster really well.
The do ask but anything personal in the car that gets stolen is covered under homeowner's insurance not your comp. (at least that's the case with my insurance).

In my case the adjuster doesn't consider aftermarket parts. He looked that the wheels were gone, suspension gone, brakes gone, etc. He just had a computer with 2002 Subaru WRX info in it and just checked what's missing. The loss agent is the person you would dispute the value of the car with.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
The do ask but anything personal in the car that gets stolen is covered under homeowner's insurance not your comp. (at least that's the case with my insurance).

In my case the adjuster doesn't consider aftermarket parts. He looked that the wheels were gone, suspension gone, brakes gone, etc. He just had a computer with 2002 Subaru WRX info in it and just checked what's missing. The loss agent is the person you would dispute the value of the car with.
What about all the pictures you have with your stuff installed? And did they rip off the body kit? Also, you should post a list of the stuff that was stolen, just so people can watch for suspicious sellers in the various forums.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Did you try and get them coverd? Also did u get ur car back?

I know when mine was stolen, and returned the insurence coverd every aftermarket part that was messed up or stolen even though i wasnt covered for them.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup I asked them if they would and they said since it wasn't mentioned before hand and specifically covered I would not get any money back for those parts. It seems that each company has a different policy.

As far as my car check out the link in my sig.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have MetLife.

The main reason I went with them is because I got a really good quote through work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts