ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody want to help? Really not looking for physical help (although it would be appreciated) but looking for some verbal guidance. Just a few moments of your time would be helpful. Don't need any tools either. I live in Kent (Easthill) and either Sat or Sun works for me.

Thanks
:thumbup:

·
Registered
956 Posts
get two hose claps for the the turbo return line and get rid of the wimpy spring clips. I cranked my bolts to 70 foot pounds no leaks I can detect. dont forget about the 2.2 ohm half watt resister in place of the 3rd wire harness under the cover. I used a o2 sensor thing for my down pipe off ebay works good. dont break the turbo inlet hose if you chose to unbolt everything first. dealer wants $400+ for that. whip out those 14mm tools and have fun!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Follow the Vishnu instructions to the letter and you'll be fine. The cel fix for the up-pipe is a 1/2w2.2k ohm resistor and you cna get em at Radioshack 5 for $1.

Some things that really help with the install is a swivel-head extension and self-ratcheting wrenches for the header heatshield.

A short breakerbar helps too. Make sure it's less than 12inches.

Get some extra bolts and nuts for the downpipe, chances are you'll break at least one.

Use a dremel to cut the header heatshield. Cut a line along the top where the egt sensor comes through the heatshield then bend it down with some pliers.

Use anti-seize on all the bolts and you'll be alot happier if you ever have to remove those bolts again.

Good luck.

Marcel

·
Registered
152 Posts
My mom's lives in kent. I'm in the midwest though, or I would help. I have done a few, Make sure to tighten the up pipe in order. Per instructions. Or you may have some problems.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How did the install go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The week before last was a very wet weekend and I didn't get around to it last weekend either. GF's take up a lot of time. :D I'm a procrastinator but maybe I'll get around to it this weekend or Monday. I've got to get these pipes out of the house. Then it's off to SEMA on Tuesday. :thumbup: Anyone up to help?

·
Registered
342 Posts
OMG DO IT!!!! you will love the difference in sound and in performance... after i did it i screwed up some bolts if i were you i'd use wd-40 because most of those damned bolts are really on there... and without a breaker bar i wish you luck!, also you might have to take off the turbo to get to the upipe if the engine lift thing doesnt work :( but umm...you need a breaker bar... wd-40 helps ALOT and an 02 sensor tool thingy is also a big help for the sensor on the headers once you take the heat shield loose you wont be able to take it off without a) taking off the sensor first by turning the wheel to the right taking off the plastic cover and getting in there b) cutting the heat shield which would be easier :) if you manage to take out the upipe without lifting the engine or taking off the turbo you are a genius among men and i would need video to believe it... :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
evL`WrX said:
if you manage to take out the upipe without lifting the engine or taking off the turbo you are a genius among men and i would need video to believe it... :D

I stripped the nut that holds the engine mount to the frame. That mother was really on there! I was worried that we would have to remove the turbo to get the U/P out. We decied to try to jack the engine up a couple of inches anyway, w/ a piece of 2x4 between the jack and the oil pan of course. It worked!!
:)

There was just enough give in the stock motor mounts to let me spin that stock U/P out of there and the Vishnu unit slipped in easily. :thumbup:

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem w/ the engine mount nut. It was probably just my car.

Have fun, T.J.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If it wasn't for a midterm on monday I would love to help you this weekend. My parents live on the east hill of kent near kentlake high school. Make sure you've got yourself some strong tools or some extras. I busted an extension and a reducer thing which made things take forever. A breaker bar (nothing really special) works very nicely on the top uppipe bolts. Also make sure you have some duralube spray or something to get those bolts to break loose. If you need any help send me a pm or anything and I will try to help ya! Be prepared for some cussing.

·
Registered
956 Posts
i torqued everything 70 foot pound and no leaks yet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm putting my upp and dp in this weekend to. Were having a little scoobie get together here in Corvallis. Theres going to be around eight or so subies here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm pretty sure that to get to the uppipe bolts you have to remove the downpipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed my UP and DP yesterday. No broken studs (only 2000 miles on engine). Two people, 5 hours, and raised engine to get the UP out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
...and? do you notice a little bit of a difference? did you reset the ECU?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did feel a difference. The engine is much more responsive and revs easier, The exhaust note is not any louder but there is more engine (turbine?) noise. How do you reset the ECU? I haven't thrown a CEL yet either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you want louder I can help you out there. I am selling my catback. To reset the ecu just pull the neg terminal off the battery and hit the brake pedal a few times. It should drain all the power and reset the ecu. Make note of the mileage on your trip odometer if you use those to keep track of when to do oil changes or track your gas milage. They will get reset. Unless you used a cel fix then you will get a cel at some point. What's next on the mod list? AccessPort?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts