Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some headers for my rex, anyone know how to install it or have instructions to? it would be great if u could help me out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
header install in relatively easy..

1. jack up car
2. take off skid protector
3. unbolt nuts from uppipe-header
4. unbolt the 6 nuts that connect the header to the block
5. take out stock manifold
5a. place o2sensor into new manifold
6. place gaskets in and insert new manifold
7. tighten enough to stay in place
8. bolt up the uppipe-manifold w/ gasket in place properly
9. bolt up new manifold
10. put skid protector back in

done.

if it's a one-piece than it will be a lot more difficult.

thanks. should take an hour or so

·
Banned
601 Posts
I might be a perfectionist in some ways, so the install above would make me worry. Since an aftermarket header would probably fit a bit different then the stock one, it can put different types of pressure on the joints of the exhaust if the rest of the exhaust isn't loosenned. I really think that taking the downpipe off, loosenning the bolts on the turbo/uppipe/engine brackets, then tightenning from the bottom to the top(like an uppipe install) will result in less chance of a leak(could be wrong).

peace

·
Registered
312 Posts
putting headers on a wrx is hard, yes.

putting a header on a wrx isnt so bad, however ;) . he wouldnt have to worry about a leak if he is using the stock uppipe or an STi uppipe, since it has a joint. that would help things be more leak-free. and yeah, bluesteel's instructions are good.

·
Banned
601 Posts
not necessarily true. If the flange for the header is farther away then the stock flange, the uppipe might not even reach it. I really wouldn't wanna have to judge it by eye, and doing the whole install would leave less chance for error(imo)...

peace

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see bros'... so many mixxed feelins about this topic. I figuered u would install headers and uppipe as blue steel stated. But by any chance, how could you detect a leak?

·
Banned
601 Posts
Depends on how bad the leak is. Usually pretty high pitched, builds and gets quicker with boost. Kinda emulates the flow of the exhaust(leak leak leak leak leak).....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang, i think i have a leak then... ever since i installed a downpipe, besides of the noise of my turbo spoolin up there has been like a high pitch, sort of clicking noise. and it does emulate the sound of exhaust.

·
Banned
601 Posts
YOLA said:
Dang, i think i have a leak then... ever since i installed a downpipe, besides of the noise of my turbo spoolin up there has been like a high pitch, sort of clicking noise. and it does emulate the sound of exhaust.

Originally posted by MJU1983

It will be tough to install headers on a WRX.
Eh, a leak after the downpipe isn't so bad unless you have some cats after them causing more pressure in the piping and more exhaust gasses to come out. In the uppipe, the leak would cause more of a performance loss(slower spool) and be louder cause there's more pressure on that side of the turbo. I'm not sayin that it's good to be leakin exhaust under your car or in your engine compartment, but if you installed the header you'd probably notice the leak a lot more.

peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts