ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to do this??I am thinking of getting the pillar pod.Eventually getting an airfuel gauge & EGT.Is it possible to do a clean job when installing these & where do I tap into for vaccum readings?

·
Registered
286 Posts
WRXwant1 said:
What is the best way to do this??I am thinking of getting the pillar pod.Eventually getting an airfuel gauge & EGT.Is it possible to do a clean job when installing these & where do I tap into for vaccum readings?
I installed on top of steering column. You can tap off the BOV line or off the manifold. The manifold has a nipple at the front (almost in the centre) near the alternator. There is a hose on it but just stick a T connector in there and away you go - that is where I have mine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats looks GREAT!!How did you mount it to the column?Where did you run the line through??Oh yeah, man are your knees hairy!!LOL!Thanks:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
WRXwant1 said:
Thats looks GREAT!!How did you mount it to the column?Where did you run the line through??Oh yeah, man are your knees hairy!!LOL!Thanks:D
hehehe...your the second to comment :D Maybe I upload some more pics without the legs

Above the brake pedal against on the carpet, there is a small round circle of carpet that if you pull off exposes a rubber grommet. Push this out toward the front of the car and it will just drop on the ground.

Just drill a hole (with a narrow drill bit) in the middle of the grommet. You can then push the pressure line through the grommet and then replug the grommet in the hole.

The pressure line just runsup from there through the steering column (which you can remove in about 2 mins). You wanna remove the top and bottom of the steering column so ou can mark out where you want to place the guage cup (I bought the autometer cup also).

You may even find you need to pull out the plastic surround around the speedo unscrew the speedo console as it makes removing and replacing the top part of the steering column plastic.

To tap the power line just remove the surround around the stereo and run a power line to the cigarette lighter LIGHT (not power).

It may seen very difficult, but it isn't. I am a total spaz and managed to do it all in a few hours.

Here are some more pics

·
Registered
213 Posts
i suggest using rubber vacuum tubing, designed specifically for applications such as these. some, like michaelwrx i see are using the supplied stiff nylon tubing. i never installed it with the nylon tubing so i can't compare the two, but i do know the response is excellent with the vacuum tubing. 1/8" line works great as you can T right in to either the BOV line or FPR line and run that tubing straight up to the back of the gauge, where a simple brass fitting connects the two. michaelwrx, are you pleased with the response using the nylon tubing? just curious.

sg

·
Registered
286 Posts
gifty74 said:
i suggest using rubber vacuum tubing, designed specifically for applications such as these. some, like michaelwrx i see are using the supplied stiff nylon tubing. i never installed it with the nylon tubing so i can't compare the two, but i do know the response is excellent with the vacuum tubing. 1/8" line works great as you can T right in to either the BOV line or FPR line and run that tubing straight up to the back of the gauge, where a simple brass fitting connects the two. michaelwrx, are you pleased with the response using the nylon tubing? just curious.

sg
I am happy with the response. Just a light tap on the throttle and the guage bounces to 0 pressure. I have seen a video someone posted here or on another site that talked about how to improve the response of your pressure guage and I have to say mine performs like that now.

I didn't really consider using anything else perhaps cause I was too excited about installing :D

Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
yeah, that's cool. i suppose there can't be much difference between the two. i remember looking at it and thinking that i didn't have enough, of the nylon from autometer that is. so, instead of all the extra fitting required to mend two lines, i just bought some vacuum tubing. mine is like the one in the video too, super quick. so i guess either way you're ok. thanks for the response.

sg

·
Registered
570 Posts
I used the nylon tubing provided by autometer. My gauge works great and the response is instant when I press on the gas. I must warn you that the actual installation of the hardware is somewhat tricky. First you must tighten the pressure nuts by hand. Make sure that you tighten it as tight as possible using your hands. Then use a wrench for one last full turn. Believe me when I say this. I learned the hard way. You want to prevent over compressing the ferrule inside the pressure nut and pinching nylon tubing. This happened to me and my boost readings were way off. After correcting the problem, my boost read dead on.

1st 10 PSI
2nd 12 PSI
3rd 14.5 PSI
4th 14.5 PSI
5th 14.5 PSI

PS check out the t fitting I manufactured.

·
Registered
570 Posts
5th gear just remembering the day when I had my 99 C5 Hard top. Back when my stabel included a 97 Cobra and a 95 Firebird Firehawk. Before the Baby.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Drod said:
5th gear just remembering the day when I had my 99 C5 Hard top. Back when my stabel included a 97 Cobra and a 95 Firebird Firehawk. Before the Baby.
They mean nothing to me coming from Australia....:D

But I am sure they are good :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
99 C5 Chevy Corvette
97 Cobra Ford Mustang
95 Firebird Pontiac

·
Registered
570 Posts
WRXwant1

I am selling a brand new Greddy Black 52mm EGT Gauge.
I am also selling a Blitz LM SUSPOWER CORE Intake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts