Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my unichip today and I have to say, I felt no difference in performance. I'm not dissapointed, because I'm sure it did something, but my butt dyno didn't register much:(

I guess I really just wanna go to the track and find out if anything has changed..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did you also install the ABC? If not then you are going to be slow.

If you were already running the GFB controller at 16psi and didn't remove it, then it is still going to be about the same performance, because 1. We retard timing quite a bit from the factory level (sometimes as much as 36 degrees) and 2 we tune for about the same boost as you are running now.

On the up-side, you should run safer than with an MBC alone since your timing is better setup for the higher boost you run and your air fuel ratio has been change to help make up the power.

We've told many customers that have very fast times on stock ECU cars that they will most likely get slower with a unichip since we are actually pulling timing from the top end...

-Nathan

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
nmyeti said:
Did you also install the ABC? If not then you are going to be slow.

If you were already running the GFB controller at 16psi and didn't remove it, then it is still going to be about the same performance, because 1. We retard timing quite a bit from the factory level (sometimes as much as 36 degrees) and 2 we tune for about the same boost as you are running now.

On the up-side, you should run safer than with an MBC alone since your timing is better setup for the higher boost you run and your air fuel ratio has been change to help make up the power.

We've told many customers that have very fast times on stock ECU cars that they will most likely get slower with a unichip since we are actually pulling timing from the top end...

-Nathan
I am about to purchase a used TurboXS unichip soon, and the only reason for doing so was to help mold together my modifications. I thought a Unichip would help in CREATING horsepower by leaning out gas in a few places. I thought it would HELP 1/4 mile times. Please explain. Now I am concerned that it won't help my car at all.

I was thinking about running my Joe P. MBC at 15psi all the time. Are you saying that running the ABC is better and more reliable?

So timing is pulled from ALL STAGES (1-4)?

Or am I quoting this wrong?

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,

The main reason I got the chip was to be prepared for when I get a new turbo in the spring, I figured it would be essential to have some form of engine mngmt at that point.

I will say, performance has improved a bit now that I have about 150 miles on the chip, I think the ecu has relearned stuff a bit. I didn't realize how much of the claimed HP gains were based on boost increases, but hey, I guess I'll be happy I have it in a few months.

·
2,210 Posts
Kurlee - I think Nathan is referring specifically to the performance of the stage-1 & stage-2 maps. Basically the Unichip is a very effective means to safely maximize the potential of your modiciations. Given a user that is already running an MBC, the stage-2 Unichip may not perform any better because it is designed to run the same boost but with safer ignition advance and fueling parameters. There is some danger in running an MBC at higher than stock boost levels; your car being so close to the edge is going to make it feel pretty snappy. I've "been there, done that" and boost response was much better with an MBC alone than with the stage-2 Unichip and ABC. However, the Unichip was MUCH smoother and seemed to pull better to the redline on my WRX.

Remember that your chip can be remapped as you upgrade your car. There is no way to run a bigger turbo and high capacity injectors without some form of A/F management [and preferably] timing management. Hence the stage-4 map allows your car to run on mods which it otherwise would not. Trust me, I've tried running STi injectors on the stock ECU without additional management and it just would not build any boost due to excessive fuel being dumped. The stage-4 setup is very strong.

I would have to say that after being initially underwhelmed by the stage-2 performance, I was very pleased after giving the ECU a few days to settle down. I would definitely take that setup over an MBC.

-Pace

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pace, dude check your facts, you are way off

Unichip stage 2 is not going to outperform a MBC? Are you high?
Stage 2 is a 300+HP package. Do you REALLY think a MBC by itself will net you 300HP?
I had a MBC set at 16PSI, and now am running a STage one Unichip with an axle back(turboxs's stage one setup)
And the difference is night and day. Its not the NAWZ tire burning difference people expect, but the difference is DEFINATELY there.
It sounds to me like you were just runing a stage 2 mapped unichip and MBC.
No wonder you didnt see the agins you are supposed to. Stage 2 is mapped for a full turbo back exhaust system, without it, you were running the wrong map. No wonder it didnt help. Im suprised it didnt run like crap.
not flaming ya man, Just saying. the unichip may not be as good as a UTEC, but it is MUCH better than a MBC alone

·
Registered
559 Posts
Isnt the UTEC identical to the UNICHIP???
Except because the UTEC you can change settings,,and UNICHIP you cannot.
If they make a MAp for you in a UNICHIP,,wouldnt that MAP work exactly the same as the UTEC with the same map??
Arent they the same??basically..
THanks
TUca

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Davenow,

I believe the matter of argument is which would be faster:

A. Stage 2 Exhaust + Unichip + ABC
B. Stage 2 Exhaust + MBC

I have had both on my car and the vehicle was noticeably quicker/felt better with the Stage 2 + MBC - Unichip when compared to Stage 2 + Unichip + ABC.

Track proven.

Note - this speaks nothing of safety/engine longevity as the Unichip is there to make the package "safer" and not "faster" apparently.

·
Registered
151 Posts
tuca33 said:
Isnt the UTEC identical to the UNICHIP???
Except because the UTEC you can change settings,,and UNICHIP you cannot.
If they make a MAp for you in a UNICHIP,,wouldnt that MAP work exactly the same as the UTEC with the same map??
Arent they the same??basically..
THanks
TUca
Tuca,
They are not even close to the same thing...

-Nathan

·
Registered
1 Posts
save your money, buy a utec or haltec and eliminate the ecu's tendency to throw cold water on any high boost aspirations. try not to buy all the little stuff first, save up buy a computer, save up buy a turbo & injectors & fuel pump & regulator, then go to exhaust and intake and all the rest. i get guys in my shop all the time who spend thousands in little mods here and there and could have bought a race ecu, turbo, injectors, fp, and so on for the money they spent, then they ask me why they feel little or no difference. plain and simple, they were trying to fit 6 cups of water into a 3 cup container, making a mess that i'm more than happy to clean up $$$$$$$.
I'm not trying to insult anyone or anything like that, but the wrx ain't no honda, anybody who split the engine case knows it. get rid (completely) of the factory ecu, then you can boost and smoke gsx's and the such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts