Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a dupe of a post I rattled off on my local-region board detailing my weekly sojourn to the track:

Threw on Unichip - went slower - but Rexstang is still a pimp!
No long posts tonight. I'm beat from running 4 times in 4 hours (gosh the lines were long and slow-moving tonight! Chris may be a jerk sometimes, but at least he keeps the lines moving! :) and depressed cuz' my car is SLOWER after having spent $500 on it. :-(

I ran my historic (to me at least :) 13.8 last weekend... I then installed my TurboXS Stage 2 Unichip (I'm basically a stage 2 + uppipe) and expected to at least equal my times.

The mid-range of the car was VASTLY improved with the installation of the Unichip. The acceleration also really smoothed out, and the car felt WAY faster on the butt-accelerometer.

The e.t. clocks didn't agree and showed my butt-dyno to be GROSSLY mis-calibrated.

I couldn't manage better than a 14.19 tonight - and get this... That pass I trapped at 93.22mph!! :-( I've run 96.96mph before... Sigh. Oh well.

The car just felt "fat" on the top end, no real rev. While driving home the car felt GREAT again and did feel stronger than without the chip, BUT...

I pulled the chip out as soon as I got home and went for some on-ramp blitzes and the car lost a bit of mid-range but the top end charge is BACK in spades.

I e-mailed TurboXS about this but I don't know what they'll be able to do without me being able to send them info from a dyno run... I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I wanted to run again tomorrow night at HRP without the chip to see if that was my problem however I believe it's Pro Gas tomorrow night. Sigh, I guess I'll have to wait until next week! :-(

Anyway - like I said - no long post this time :)lol so I'll let Rexstang tell you about FINALLY being the fastest driver of his own car and how V-Rod has been pumping a MAAAAAAD 11 pounds of boost into his motor with reckless abandon.

Aloha and good night all... Hope to see you at the track day tomorrow! (I'll be a spectator)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here's a note that I sent off to the guys at TurboXS regarding my less than stellar results here in humid Honolulu with the Unichip:

First, praise and kudos! The TurboXS Stealthback exhaust on my WRX is AWESOME! It was the biggest improvement I made to my car in one fell swoop. Can't say enough about your products, your service, and your commitment to the WRX enthusiast! Also congratulations on your 11-second run! Awesome! That's inspiring me to buy parts from you guys. :)

Next, my problem. :-(

I bought a secondhand Stage 2 TXS Unichip (WRX STG291, TXS-002 Rev 3). I thought this would compliment my BPU '02 5-speed WRX sedan perfectly. I'm basically at your "Stage 2" level with the addition of a PDE Uppipe and a GFB BOV. I'm running ~16psi of boost in 4th gear @ 4k rpm.

Here at hot, muggy, SLOW Hawaii Raceway Park (Honolulu, island of Oahu) the car managed a best of 13.87 before the Unichip (with the aforementioned mods). After installing the Unichip and being VERY pleased with the seat of the pants increase in performance (drivability was DRAMATICALLY increased, shifts were smoother, acceleration was smoother (like it was pre-MBC, etc) and the mid-range of the car was REALLY strong. The butt-dyno was pegged! The top-end felt a little weak, but I don't really blitz around on city streets so I had to wait about 200 miles and a week before I could hit the local dragstrip.

I went to the track expecting big gains tonight, but came away with timeslips in the 14.19 - 14.4 range. I have run 96.96mph in the 1/4 before and I was ~94mph for all of my runs tonight. The car was launching a little soft (1.90 60' times instead of my normal ~1.85) and my MPH at the 1/8 and 1/4 were down by almost 2 full MPH. The car just didn't seem to want to rev that quickly. For an old "carb" guy like me - the car felt "fat".

Do you have any suggestions for me? Is the Unichip just not programmed for the type of humidity/heat that we suffer from here in sea-level Honolulu? Do I need to get the chip re-programmed for my uppipe + 50/50 GFB BOV? Could the unit be damaged (doubtful since the car runs smoothly, just slowly :)? I really want to use the unit, but it's making the car slower. :-(

I am planning on buying a bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump in the future so I don't want to get rid of the Unichip as it will be my engine management solution (I don't think I can afford a UTEC :) however I don't know what to do at this point. It seems that Hawaii is proving to be a hard place to "account" for in tuning (most if not all cars run ~.3-.5 slower here at HRP than comparable sea-level tracks on the mainland - i.e. brand new 350Z's are running 14.50's here) and there aren't any AWD dynos in the state. :-(

Any thoughts?

Much Mahalo (thanks),
Richard Smith
is2scooby on www.i-club.com & www.clubwrx.net

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any engine management gurus (pace, phast, jama, sgoswrx, bedabi? :) have any thoughts on this one? Be the first to solve the Honolulu Heat and Humidity Performance Delta Conundrum and win a prize! (TBD) :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Richard,

How long after the unichip installation did you run at the track? I take it that you did disconnect the neg battery terminal during the installation, right? I take it that the ECU was reset. If that was the case, your car, as it always is after an ECU reset, was slower. I know that right after I installed my Unichip Stage 1, it felt slower while the ECU relearned. You'll have to wait about 100 miles before the ECU learns again. If this is the case, go to the track with some more miles on the reset ECU and try again.

·
Registered
404 Posts
is2scooby said:
Here's a dupe of a post I rattled off on my local-region board detailing my weekly sojourn to the track:

What are you using for a boost controller? Second, are you adjusting your boost levels after the Unichip installation. It will effect your boost levels. My Stage 2 program only made like 14.5 psi boost.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bedabi & SGOSWRX, Thanks for the replies! You've both always been very helpful to this Noob. :D

I installed the Unichip this past Monday. I put 200 miles on the car after the unichip installation before hitting the dragstrip.

I did disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and perfrom the "drive it like you stole it" routine to liven up the car again.

The addition of the unichip didn't change my boost readings at all. With my JoeP MBC I get 16psi in 4th gear @ 4k rpm...

It's weird that the car FEELS way faster (in fact I'm SURE that the mid-range is better, but the launch and the top end are worse with the unichip in place) but lies down on the top end.

Thanks for the thought and helpful suggestions!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Synopsis of my first couple of "typically long-winded" posts:

1. Car went 13.8 in humid Honolulu last weekend w/a 1.84 60'.
2. Car has trapped 96.96mph before.
3. Added Unichip (pulling neg. batt. cable off)
4. Boost was and still at 16psi @ 4k rpms in 4th gear w/JoeP MBC
5. Mid-range felt MUCH stronger with unichip in place
6. Car accelerated smartly and smoothly with unichip in place
7. Took car to track 1 week and 200+ miles after chip install.
8. Could only muster a 14.1 @ 93.22mph with a 1.90 60'
9. I am containing a fair amount of suck at this point for $500 :(

I'm not going to write the chip off just yet, however. I know it does good things for some people (and hopefully I'll need it in the future to compensate for STI injectors and a bigger turbo) but until then it not only doesn't improve my 1/4 mile e.t.'s, it sinks them. In fact has anybody with a TXS Stage 2 setup ever run without the Unichip? I'd be interested in finding out if the chip has any positive influence on e.t. and trap speed...

Weird, huh? I think I exert some kind of strange "anti-performance field" or something. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
what was the temp/humidity like for your run with the chip? How were your launches (unbiased) in comparsion to your best times?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The temp. was higher and the humidity was up there - but not .3 hotter/more humid! :) The launch TECHNIQUE was the same, but the launches were soft. Seemed like the car was down on power at the launch. :(

I agree that the conditions were not conducive to setting a new personal best, but I should have at least EQUALED my previous times I would think. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestions! I know weather conditions can really have an effect on times/performance.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what the unichip people have to say. It's interesting what you said about driveability and the mid-range. Possibly they've tuned the chip more for canyon carving - where punch out of the corners makes a bigger difference - than for drag racing? Maybe you could send the chip back and tell them your car is a dragster and needs to be tuned as such.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the real thing here is to remember that you've purchased and installed a "plug and play" chip that in reality isn't specifically tuned to your car's demands. Sure, they can emulate the mods you have but it's nothing like a real road or dyno tune. Just ask Armin how well his chip performed after a road tuning session with a trained Cobb installer.
Car to car, condition to condition variability is what's really getting your car down. Resetting the ECU is only a bandaid to a more fundamental problem. Find a local Unichip tuner and get her dialed in right. It could be that tooling around town, the mid-range is tuned ok but when you're running under track conditions the ECU could be detecting knock and pulling timing. Or you could be running pig-rich and not making as much power as you should. Either way tuning should help.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That could be the case. I was told that it was the straight Stage 2 program though. That is netting 13.30's @ 100mph on the mainland tracks. I'd expect ~13.50-70's @ 98mph or so with the "honolulu" correction factor. :)

I'll let you all know what TurboXS thinks when they respond to my query...

GV27 said:
It'll be interesting to see what the unichip people have to say. It's interesting what you said about driveability and the mid-range. Possibly they've tuned the chip more for canyon carving - where punch out of the corners makes a bigger difference - than for drag racing? Maybe you could send the chip back and tell them your car is a dragster and needs to be tuned as such.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True, true. I've just heard such good things about the "staged" chips from TurboXS and Vishnu that I expected it to at least perform as well as the car did without the chip.

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the tune for the specific conditions however. I had to do some finetuning of the chips that I ran on my blown '94 Mustang on the dyno. I picked up 30+ RWHP from finetuning the chip that was custom-made for me...

However, there are no local unichip tuners, and even if there were there aren't any AWD dynos in the state. The nearest one is 2,500 miles away. :(

The price of paradise, eh? :D

To me the car feels like it's retarded or rich. I think you're on to something here.

I was only running 16psi of boost with octane booster in the tank however, so I'd be surprised if the system were detecting knock and retarding timing.

We'll see...

supermarkus said:
I think the real thing here is to remember that you've purchased and installed a "plug and play" chip that in reality isn't specifically tuned to your car's demands. Sure, they can emulate the mods you have but it's nothing like a real road or dyno tune. Just ask Armin how well his chip performed after a road tuning session with a trained Cobb installer.
Car to car, condition to condition variability is what's really getting your car down. Resetting the ECU is only a bandaid to a more fundamental problem. Find a local Unichip tuner and get her dialed in right. It could be that tooling around town, the mid-range is tuned ok but when you're running under track conditions the ECU could be detecting knock and pulling timing. Or you could be running pig-rich and not making as much power as you should. Either way tuning should help.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for leaving this hanging... Got my car down to 13.69 without the Unichip installed. As fast as any Unichip equpped cars that I saw running - but maybe not as safe (with the agressive stock timing and the stock ECU's decision to ignore or not even monitor the knock sensor after 5700rpm's or so).

Eventually went Stage 4 + UTEC! Ended up buying wideband, tuning away - still slow... On a lark, aired up my Falken Azenis to 50psi all the way around, launched like a crazy man and clicked off a string of 12's culminating in a 12.8 at 104.14mph...

The Unichip from my old car is now in the quickest WRX on the island that has run 12.6's @ 105+mph...

It was my tires all along. Damn. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts