Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Stromung axleback with 2.5 piping with dual tips on Friday, just thought I write up my thoughts on the unit for anyone interested. :)

First of all taking it out of the box:

I noticed the construction is top notch. The welds looked perfect, nice smooth and even. It also comes with a new gasket, and new nuts/bolts to attach to the stock rear piping. It's looks sweet, the dual tips are a little bigger then stock and have a metal mesh inside that looks trick. They also have "Stromung" etched on the top of each one.

Installation:

The install was a breeze me and a buddy did it in less then 20 minutes, in a dimly lit garage. The fitment of the exhaust was absolutely perfect, seemed as if it was made my Subaru. I would recommend having WD-40 on hand to spray on the old nuts/bolts and exhaust hangers (to make the rubber slippery) for easy removal of the stocker. The exhaust felt a lot lighter then the stocker maybe 10lbs?

Sound:

Sound was very important to me, I didn't want it to sound ricey or overly loud, I was worried about droning on the highway. I am extremely picky, but I can say the sound is amazing :eek: I've never heard anything like it, sounds like a formula one car at WOT especially in 1st or 2nd gear. At idle it is deep and mean, sounds like a V-8, maybe like a mustang or Z-28? Inside the car you can barely hear it at idle. When cruising on the freeway at 70 MPH you can hear a whisper of it, but not annoying at all, even in 4th gear it is just as quiet. My tires make more noise. I would imagine with some of that Dyna-mat sound dampening material you would not hear it at all. When driving around town in stop and go traffic you can hear it pretty clearly, but again it sounds really sweet so I am not complaining. This weekend I will be installing a Sti Upipe and Bosal Downpipe, so I will see how it changes then and post an update.

Performance:

The car seems a little quicker at higher RPM's but that might just be placebo, I dunno. I suspect when I install my Upppipe and Downpipe it will enhance those mods. Before I bought it I looked for some HP #'s and db's or other reviews with little or no luck (that's why I'm writing this).

Cons:

The only thing I can think of is my car is no longer stealth, when you punch it, people know you've got something special under the hood. It's a fraction louder then I had hoped, but I'm just not used to it yet. But no droning so I am very happy. I'm just used to the stock setup and my last car (Civic Si) had a stock exhaust as well.

Pros:

Price!!! It was only $385 shipped from South Coast Subaru, sounds expensive but compared to others it's not. Another good thing is that it has a Modular Design, if I want to make it a catback I just need to order the rear exhaust piping for $150, good for people on a budget who just want to buy pieces at a time.

I hope this helps people out there make a decision. :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
CAP is that a Stromung with a TurboXS Turbo Back?

Jamie can you post some pics of the muffler?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a digital camera yet, but here's some pics I found on the net of the same setup.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Last one... I listened to Cap E Tan's clip and mine sounds kind of like that, but quieter, probably because my car is still stock with the exception of a short ram.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Okay but STILL is that a turboxs WITH a stromung muffler or the TurboXs muffler?

Jamie, when you were doing research did you find any pics of the singletip Stromung by any chance?

lol... Jamie I just read your profile:

Estimated HP: 228

Gained 1 HP from intake and Muffler :)?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CAP-E-TAN said:
EVERYTHING IS TURBO XS...........THUS INDICATED BY
TURBO XS TURBOBACK EXHAUST
magnaflow makes the muffler
Not to be a jerk, but what does this have to do with my post?:confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
2point0 said:
Okay but STILL is that a turboxs WITH a stromung muffler or the TurboXs muffler?

Jamie, when you were doing research did you find any pics of the singletip Stromung by any chance?

lol... Jamie I just read your profile:

Estimated HP: 228

Gained 1 HP from intake and Muffler :)?
Actually I think I gained 2hp with the exhaust, need to update my profile;) Here's a pic of the single, not sure if this is the one for the WRX though.

http://www.isrperformance.com/exhaust.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
jamie007 said:
Not to be a jerk, but what does this have to do with my post?:confused:
Exactly my point... that's why I got confused!!!!

Some people call the stealth back TURBO BACK.

Either way CAP's exhaust sounds great :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've got the 3" dual. Love it. I used to have a sound clip around somewhere, but seemed to have lost it.

3" all the way from the turbo, no cats. Kinda loud, but effective.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
brembo said:
I've got the 3" dual. Love it. I used to have a sound clip around somewhere, but seemed to have lost it.

3" all the way from the turbo, no cats. Kinda loud, but effective.
I just purchased a 3" dual tip Stromung catback, to be used with my TurboXS Downpipe, and the new TurboXS cat back adaptor pipe. I can't wait to install it this week. Then I will finally have a true 3" turboback exhaust.

Cap-e-tan, please keep the subject on topic.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
I just purchased a 3" dual tip Stromung catback, to be used with my TurboXS Downpipe, and the new TurboXS cat back adaptor pipe. I can't wait to install it this week. Then I will finally have a true 3" turboback exhaust.
Welcome to my world :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
sorry for the side track
i posted the clip because you said yours sounded good
and i think mine sounds good to
i am just expressing my happiness with uncorking the boxer engine:D

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
CAP-E-TAN said:
sorry for the side track
i posted the clip because you said yours sounded good
and i think mine sounds good to
i am just expressing my happiness with uncorking the boxer engine:D
Not a problem. And thanks for your enthusiasm. But just try to keep the subjects on subject. And enjoy that boxer engine sound. Nothing can beat it.:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:

Cap-e-tan, please keep the subject on topic.
Sounds like were both going to having fun this week, I've been waiting to get this Uppipe/Downpipe installed for months. Been driving me crazy!:D I've been debating going catless, but want to keep noise and gas fumes at a minimum. Be sure to post your thoughts on your new setup.:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts